Where has more choice - Miami, Orlando, Key West, Houston, etc etc ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UK-RV

Hi All,

I am thinking of booking our flights to the US for January 2006.

We have established mail-forwarding and RV Registration in South Dakota, but have been told we can buy the RV in any State.

As we will be coming in January, many States are off our list due to the weather.

Can anyone suggest where (in Florida or Texas) we might find the highest concentration of Dealers - we would like to visit a good few before making our selection.

Or, perhaps we will find an exceptional deal in one of the northern States due to the fact they will have a shortage of buyers.

And finally, I realise that we should be looking to cut around 25% off the advertised RV price - would this be off the Manufacturers Retail or the actual dealer window price ?

Thanks All

Paul and Ann-Marie

Lazy Days near Tampa Florida has a huge selection of RV/s and I am sure there must also be other dealers in the area.  We lived North of Houston for a while and I was never impressed with the selection of RV/s available there.  However if you are interested in American Coach or Monaco Demontronds in Houston usually has a fair selection.  Lots of dealers in the Yuma area with quite a large selection.  The big plus for Yuma is the number of us that winter there we might be able to help you if needed. 

We bought our Eagle through Lazy Days in Florida.  If you go there ask for Ken Ware. Ken is very knowledable and helpful.  If we were to start shopping for a new RV that is where we would probably go.

Paul and Anne Marie,

What type of rv are you planning on buying?? ?Lazy Days certainly has the largest inventory of any dealer I have seen anywhere in Florida,? though I am not familiar with what's available in Texas.

Other dealers are located near the Tampa and Orlando area, so you would have a wide selection available.

As Ron suggests there are Forum members who winter there, but there are other Forum members wintering in FLorida as well, so friendly resources are available in both areas if need be.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Guess you need to start in Florida since there are no big concentrations of RV dealers in Texas. Houston, Austin and Dallas have s few dealers but nothing like Florida or Arizona.

Robert

If you come to Lazy Days, I hope you look me up.  I will be working there when you arrive.  Not only do I enjoy meeting froends from the forum, but I hope to be able to help them as well. 

Lazy Days is on 150 acres, even if you don't buy there, you ought to at least stop.  It is a sight to behold.

What type of rv are you planning on buying?

We are looking for a 37'-39' Class A DP.

Or, perhaps we will find an exceptional deal in one of the northern States due to the fact they will have a shortage of buyers.

Any thoughts on this ?

And finally, I realise that we should be looking to cut around 25% off the advertised RV price - would this be off the Manufacturers Retail or the actual dealer window price ?

Well BillnRI -? ;D - I guess you will be the best to the above query..........any guidance here please ?

We will certainly be visiting Lazy Days, but are sending emails to dealers at present and will narrow our choice to those that provide the best replies to our mail.

We sent an email to around 20 dealers, with various basic questions, and after 2 weeks only 6 have replied !! - not exactly my idea of that good level of customer service we come to expect from the US.

Thanks

Paul and Ann-Marie

I realise that we should be looking to cut around 25% off the advertised RV price - would this be off the Manufacturers Retail or the actual dealer window price ?

Shoot for 20-25% off the MSRP.  The dealers "window" price may be above or below that and is strictly a marketing tool for the sale.  If the MSRP is not on display (it will show the standard and optional features included on the RV as well as the suggested price), ask to see it.  If they don't want to show it to you, you may want to go elsewhere.    Your feet are your best negotiating tool - walk away and odds are they will come running after you (or call you the following day).

Gary

Thanks for the advice.

One other problem then........

What are your thoughts on the prices we see advertised on websites like rvusa or rvclassified - do we have to look at every option to see if the price is fair or assume the price listed is "negotiable" and aim for the 20% off that price.

Thanks

Paul

Just to clarify Gary's comment, since vehicle selling/buying in the U.S. might be a little different from what you're used to  ...

MSRP = Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price. Most, but not necessarily all, vehicles have a "sticker" (a label about the size of a sheet of paper) prepared by the manufacturer and either stuck to a window or taped inside the coach somewhere. It may even be laying loose on a counter or sitting in a drawer in the dealer's office This will list all the standard equipments and options on the coach, the MSRP price of each, delivery charge, and the total. This total is the MSRP for the coach. Ignore any additional lines that have added by the dealer and identified as "Dealer markup".

The dealer markup trick is more prevalant in car buying, where the dealer will add some fake markup (could be several thousand $) to give them some more wiggle room in negotiating. This should be clearly identified and you should subtract it before figuring out where to start negotiating for your 20-25% discount.

As Gary says, walk away if you don't get the price you want and you'll seem find out how eager the dealer is to sell you the coach.

I'll email you an example of a "sticker" for you to know what to expect.

Paul,

Check your email, the one you used to register in this forum.

Thanks for the sticker Tom - I just got it.

Just a bit of news I must share with you all today....

I've resigned from my job !!! (and will finish mid to late August)

NOW, I feel ready to really focus on our RV'ing tour (well after Ive focussed on the Alaska cruise and Rocky Mountaineer trip on July 10th)

My "grand plan" is to take a Large Goods Vehicle (LGV) test in the UK, and take some agency work from September to December - this will give me a "feel" for driving a long and heavy vehicle.

I had my medical last week, have sent away for the category to be added to my driving licence and have the official books to read (probably whilst sitting on that cruise ship balcony) ready for the theory test on my return.

Then, it's a week long driving course and the test at the end.

I might just go back to work for the rest ?:eek:

Paul

Paul

Congratulations (?) on the early retirement. Sounds like your short-term plans will have you too busy to think about RVing  :)

Smart move taking the LGV course and test.

In addition to Lazy Days, there are two other large dealers in the area, Bates RV and a new Gulfstream dealer, (I can't remember the name, but they have stores in New England, also).

Congratulations (?) on the early retirement.

I WISH !! - unfortunately, at 38, Ive got a few more years left to work yet.

That's one reason for the LGV Licence - there is a big shortage of qualified drivers in the UK at the moment, so I plan to take a driving job on my return in 2007.

In addition to Lazy Days, there are two other large dealers in the area, Bates RV and a new Gulfstream dealer,

Thanks for that - I'll look them up.

Cheers

Paul

Reports about Bates RV have not been positive.  They have gone bankrupt, came back and we have heard of suspicious dealings...buyer beware of Bates RV!

Thanks Steve

I think that will save me a wasted journey then.

Cheers

Paul

LaMesa RV now has a store in Tampa.  La Mesa is a large RV dealer with several locations nationwide.  See http://www.lamesarv.com/lmrv_default_04.htm

The Gulfstream dealer is Conley RV. They carry other lines as well.  http://www.morervs.com/showroom.cfm?user=2681

Tom

This one is for you.....

(sorry, its nothing to do with RVing, but I thought you might like it)

A bit of 70's nostalgia from the UK - yes, it is real footage.

http://rainbow.arch.scriptmania.com/rainbow_tv_episode.html

Pity it's a bit small.

....and a pity I'm too young to remember it  ;D

Paul

Thanks Paul. We lived in the UK in the 70's and our kids were kids at that time. But I don't recall seeing Rainbow. Of ocurse that might be because anything from Thames TV was "foreign" to us on the other side of the Severn bridge. We had Harlech TV instead  :)

Paul
One of the questions I was asked in my interview was abot email respondiong.  I don't know whether Lazy Days eturned your email or not, I have not yet satarted, (I start in Sept), but I hope they did, and if they didn't I would try to maske it a focus of mine. 

Not having started, I can't answer anything, other than my own opinion.  I do look forward to meeting you when you arrive, and helping in any way I can. 

I won't use this forum to do much of anything beyond letting folks know I am there and that I am available as needed.  I can't represent their (Lazy Days) point of view here.  Policy as well as I just don't know. 

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom