Where should we start looking? Battery Voltage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Neal

We keep our 2008 Journey pluged in all time.
Went in today & checked battery voltage at inside panel.
Readings as I recall, but close. House 12.1, Engine 11.5.

At batteries with meter, House 13.3, Engine 12.8

Where might be the most likely place to find why the inside readings seem to be off. In the past, they have been close.

edit by staff - changed message icon to topic solved

I would start by checking connections at the battery all the way until you get to the point in the RV where your getting the low readings

Look for loose or corroded connections like Gizmo suggested.  Do you read the same voltage directly on the battery posts compared to the connector, for example?

Did the House and Chassis disconnect switches get turned off? Our 12 volt systems will continue to work when we're plugged into shore power, but our batteries won't charge if those switches are off.

Kev

1. Yes we have cleaned battery connections in past, but probably is due again by now.
2. Probably checked at post, but not sure. Also we did not apply load & check between post & cable on post. This will also show which connection is less than desirable.
3. Don't think the battery switches have been turned off. We did check to see they were on after getting these readings.

Thanks for the input

Neal said:
Went in today & checked battery voltage at inside panel.
Readings as I recall, but close. House 12.1, Engine 11.5.

At batteries with meter, House 13.3, Engine 12.8

What prompted you to check the battery?

When you took your readings ...Did you use the same gauge/meter to get those numbers?

My first thoughts are a bad connection. Either at the battery or at the fuse box.

My next thought is the battery getting old?

Gizmo100 said:
...My next thought is the battery getting old?
Always one of my first questions - how old are the batteries? Run of the mill flooded cell batteries have a service life of up to about five years depending on how deeply and frequently they have been discharged.

Gizmo100 said:
What prompted you to check the battery?

When you took your readings ...Did you use the same gauge/meter to get those numbers?

My first thoughts are a bad connection. Either at the battery or at the fuse box.

My next thought is the battery getting old?

Just habit, when we happen through for any reason, just stop at the panel & push buttons to check that everything is up to snuff. Upon seeing the low readings inside, made me get meter and go to the batteries for another check. Still have not taken time to pursue the issue any farther, but plan to in the near future.

How time slips away. You made me look it up. House batteries 03/16/2013, Engine Batteries 08/07/2015.
We haven't slightly drained them regularly like recommended, but do drive it at least 20 miles every 3 months.

Neal said:
Just habit, when we happen through for any reason, just stop at the panel & push buttons to check that everything is up to snuff. Upon seeing the low readings inside, made me get meter and go to the batteries for another check. Still have not taken time to pursue the issue any farther, but plan to in the near future.

How time slips away. You made me look it up. House batteries 03/16/2013, Engine Batteries 08/07/2015.
We haven't slightly drained them regularly like recommended, but do drive it at least 20 miles every 3 months.

I'm not saying the house batteries are bad but they are getting old. So depending on the type of service you have given them they may be either way, If the batteries are bad sometimes the converter will do some strange things.

Things I would do.....
1 Check water levels and fill with distilled water. DO NOT Overfill batteries.
2 Remove and clean connections at batteries. You can either clean one connection at a time or take pictures of your batteries and connection. then do them all at once. Use extreme care not to ground out the positive lead.
3 Check all 12 volt connections at fuse box.
4 Find where panel picks up voltage readings and check connections.

Gizmo100 said:
I'm not saying the house batteries are bad but they are getting old. So depending on the type of service you have given them they may be either way, If the batteries are bad sometimes the converter will do some strange things....
It makes little sense (to me anyway) to try to squeeze another year or two out of six year old house batteries unless they were premium AGM chemistry batteries. My Lifeline AGM house battery bank should have a service life of at least ten years.

RESULTS:
Found one battery cable nut loose.
Two batteries bad. Tested good until we put a load test on, then bad.
We now have 4 new batteries.
Everything checks normal, now.

Neal said:
RESULTS:
Found one battery cable nut loose.
Two batteries bad. Tested good until we put a load test on, then bad.
We now have 4 new batteries.
Everything checks normal, now.

Thanks for the follow up

John Canfield said:
It makes little sense (to me anyway) to try to squeeze another year or two out of six year old house batteries unless they were premium AGM chemistry batteries. My Lifeline AGM house battery bank should have a service life of at least ten years.

I agree...But sometimes folks have to make it work for just a little longer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom