Where to camp near New York City

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeilerBird

I am currently planning my 2014 itinerary and I wish to spend the month of June near New York City. The problem is there are no campgrounds in New York City (go figure...) There is Liberty Harbor right across the bay in New Jersey. However they are $75 a night with no discounts for monthly. So what I am looking for is an RV park close to a train stop that will take me to NYC. The distance from NYC is not really an issue, so long as I can buy a monthly train ticket I can commute into NYC as often as I wish. I have only been to NYC once and that was only for 2 days so I don't know the lay of the land. I would really like to be able to spend a month exploring the town so I can see Yankees and Mets games, go to some plays, etc. Anyone have any ideas?

There are no campgrounds close to New York City. Driving in the northeast is a bear with a car, let alone a rig. We were going to stay at a KOA in Allentown, PA and use the train to get into the city. Plans changed and we went out west instead. Keep in mind, too, that many victims of Hurricane Sandy are living in RV parks.

I've stayed at the Totoket Valley RV Park in New Haven, Connecticut.  It is basically a smallish gravel parking lot with RV spots around the edge.  Decent laundry services but not much else.  I can't remember the nightly rate, but am sure that it was nowhere near $75/night.  I didn't travel from New Haven to NYC by train so don't know how close the station is to the park.  I do recall the park owner telling me that the train was something like an 80 minute trip.  I actually "camped" at various Walmarts and other Warehouse stores on Long Island for about a week after leaving New Haven, using the toad to explore out to Montauk and into NYC a few times.  I believe that there is a state park near the eastern end of Long Island but it was closed for the season when I was there in the end of November.  Good luck with your planning, my impressions were that New York State had the smallest selection of possible RV camping spots of anywhere I've ever visited.

Have you thought about the Jersey Shore area? There are many campgrounds along Route 9. Instead of a train, you can take a bus out of Toms River NJ on NJ Transit directly to NYC and parking your rig there will not be a problem,its large enough. Not only would this give you access to NY but also Cape May, Seaside Heights, Wildwood and even Philadelphia Pa (though I'm not sure about transportation) The bus ride to NY is actually quite pleasant. I've done it a couple times and was very impressed. As far as rates for campgrounds, 75 bucks a night is probably the going rate. There are state parks w/sites but not sure if extended stays are permitted

Tom, I have always found New York challenging to find a place, particularly without a toad.  We often stayed at Kettleton State Park in CT, but it is a long way off the road, so no public transit.  Here are a couple of URLs of nearby sites, the first is a PA park, and the second from Woodall's.

Ed

http://www.timberlandlakecampground.com/2012_website_f/Rate_Chart_anx.html

http://www.libertyharborrv.com/

I suggest that you stay at Liberty Harbor at the high price for 5 to 7 days.  Get a Path weekly card and a Metro card and see the city then leave and go somewhere else.

Staying at New Haven, Ct can cost around $70 round trip into the city.  Yes you can get $700/month RV park rate but a few trips to the city by Amtrak will waste all of your savings.

We spent 5 nights at Liberty Harbor in June and loved the city.  That is about all of time that I would want to stay there.

Cheasquake is a nice St Pk in Jersey, close to transportation, we used to stay there.  In CT, not sure, but a month around there?  two games, a play and get the heck out.JMANYO

Tom, this is a lot off topic, but here is a website for the Tampa Bay area.  It is a great location right on the water next to one of the best beaches in North America.  It is a municipal campground that is difficult to get reservations, but they do withhold some sites for last minute travelers.  Easy walk to lots of birds wintering or migrating.

http://www.pinellascounty.org/park/camping.htm

Ed

Bago said:
I suggest that you stay at Liberty Harbor at the high price for 5 to 7 days.  Get a Path weekly card and a Metro card and see the city then leave and go somewhere else.
Liberty Park won't work for me because I am going to spend an entire month in the area. My trip in 2014 is going to be one month at each location and then move to the next location. This saves me gas, driving time and it gives me a lot of time to explore the area. The sites I want to see in NYC could not be covered in a week.

The next problem is I will be going on an 8 day cruise that leaves from NYC and I want to be able to leave my RV in an RV park while I am gone. Hopefully I can find someone to visit my RV on a daily basis to feed and water my cats.

Hfx_Cdn said:
    Tom, this is a lot off topic, but here is a website for the Tampa Bay area.  It is a great location right on the water next to one of the best beaches in North America.  It is a municipal campground that is difficult to get reservations, but they do withhold some sites for last minute travelers.  Easy walk to lots of birds wintering or migrating.
Thanks for the suggestion Ed. It is a good recommendation since I plan on going on a Caribbean cruise in December of 2013 that leaves from Tampa. However checking their web site they only have daily rates and no monthly rates. I am trying to stay at places for one month at a time from now on.

Tom, we wintered in St Petes for 6 years at a place called Roberts RV & Mobile home park.  One of the reasons we started staying there was that there is a bus stop at the front entrance, and we never had a toad for the first few years.  It isn't a high end resort, but it is nice with lots of good people, and they do offer monthly rates.  Here is their URL:  http://www.robertsrv.com/ 
    We bought our condo about 2 miles from there, we will have to get together for a POP if you do get to Tampa Bay.

Ed

We live 2.5 hrs NW of NYC and would recommend you check out the Hudson Valley area or alternatively Orange, Westchester or Rockland County, NY. I know of a KOA in Plattekill/Newburgh which is about 65+ miles from NYC and transportation options should be available. The Hudson Valley is very beautiful & offers great hiking, cruising on the river, craft breweries & dining at the Culinary Institute in Hyde Park, NY all within close proximity to the excitement of NYC. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom