where to find parts for really old RV?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cclglcc

Hi All,

Recently I was gifted a really old RV. It is a 1986 WINN MINNI M-42. It still drives, but when I press the brake, I feel constant pulsation. I feel maybe the rotor is warped. Trying to find replacement parts, but couldn't find them in places I normally shop for auto parts, like autozone.

Do you guys have experience with such an old rig and know where to find replacement parts?

It is my first time with RV and also with such an old rig. It seems that the car does not have airbag, and safty belt is across my belly not my shoulder. Is there any serious concern with safety issue driving such an old car?

Thanks a lot!

Welcome!

It's helpful to know what chassis your Winnebago rides on, so you can look up parts that way. Is it a Ford, Chevy, or something else? Providing the first 8 or so of the VIN might be helpful as well.

Here's the 1986 Winnebago Minnie Winnie brochure. I don't see that M-42 was a model, but there are plenty of 24' Class C's. Does yours match one in the brochure?

Thanks Skookum! The first few digits of vin is 2GBJG31MXG. Just found the owner manual, It seems like a chevy van. Where can I find parts for 24' class C van?

I think that is going to be a Chevy G30 van chassis, so when asking for parts try asking for G30 van parts not Winnebago parts. Also NAPA is probably a better bet than Autozone

Isaac-1 got it. It's an 86 Chevrolet G30 cutaway chassis. I'm not clear on the engine choices for that year but that should be found out pretty easily. Someone with more VIN google-fu than me can figure that one out.

Rockauto has lots of stuff for the G-series. Just plug in the year/make model as 1986 Chevrolet G30 and look for what you need.

very cool. Wow. I didn't expect to get help from so many people so quickly here.

I think the engine is Chevrolet 5.7L v8 according to the manual.

How do you guys know it is G30. I just went to rockauto. For g-series, it has G10, G20, and G30.

Attachments

• 20211225_131004.jpg
    20211225_131004.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 5
very cool. Wow. I didn't expect to get help from so many people so quickly here.

I think the engine is Chevrolet 5.7L v8 according to the manual.

How do you guys know it is G30. I just went to rockauto. For g-series, it has G10, G20, and G30.

G30 is the 1-ton chassis. G10 and G20 are the 1/2 and 3/4 tons, respectively.

2GBJG31MXG --the underlined digit corresponds with your vin decoder as the 1-ton.

I have had some luck with Rock Auto.

This should be a link to the 5/7L G30.

Welcome aboard!

PS - In regards to lap belts, air bags and safety? Well it's legal but it boils down to your tolerance for these items.

I drive classic sports cars (minimal safety stuff) and my motorcycle. I treat the sports cars just like my bike and consider myself a "target" for every Karen in an SUV talking on her cellphone. I avoid the freeway like the plague in these "vulnerable" vehicles.

You may be able to retrofit shoulder belts but it's tricky finding a solid mounting for the B-Pillar bolt.

All that was considered "normal" in the day.. ( And not everyone used them either.)
RVs have never been a single source vehicle,, the trick to finding parts is to be aware of all the various piece names,, models,, and manufacturers of the various parts.. No single source will provide you with all the parts,, it's always a "hunt".. Even for parts within a part!!..>>>Dan

Last edited:
when I press the brake, I feel constant pulsation. I feel maybe the rotor is warped.
Some times when a vehicle sets for a long time the rotors rust but less under the pads. This will cause that pulsation when you drive it again. Try a few fairley hard stops to polish up the rotors. It could be warped but I would try that first.
Summit Racing is anouther good place to find brake parts.
Bill

I have had some luck with Rock Auto.

I preach rockauto.com to my kids so often that one of them got me a RA gift certificate for Christmas. It was enough to cover plugs, boots, and an air filter for my Jeep. Jeep has approaching 199,000 miles on it, so I'd say it's time for a tune-up.

Another vote for RockAuto if you have the time to order online. I found a lot of parts there for my 1990 C which is also on a G30 chassis. Usually as good or better quality parts for often 1/2 - 2/3 of the prices at local stores, even with shipping. I have a Summit Racing store near me and they are a good source as well.

Good advice from WILDBILLE308 also.

Rock Auto is a great supplier if you have the time and are sure you are getting the correct parts. They are not terrible about returns if the package has not been opened, but that return shipping is on you. But really, a 86 G30 should not be any challenge. (Like mine is).
Matt

Back
Top Bottom