Where to get a good 30 amp power cord/starter kit adapter does not fit the RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mpolsue1

Some of you may have read my recent thread titled "Extension cords." I learned that I didn't need an extension cord, at least not yet and I also feel more educated about the subject, thank you; however, I am once again stumped.

We went to Home Depot and also to Wal-Mart looking for 30 amp power cords. A guy at Home Depot said we'd have to order that from an RV place. Disappointed, but okay. We got some other RV paraphenalia LOL and went home happy.     

At home, we decided to take the regular orange extension cord we already had and using the starter kit adapter, at least get some power to the rig and open the slide. The female side of the adapter does not match the plug-in located on the outside of our RV. So we are thinking, "Ok. Let's go get a 15a to 30a adapter." Once back at Wal-Mart, we realized that dogbone wouldn't fit either.

So now we are home again and disgusted. No way at the moment to power the slide. I think we might be missing something, but I'm not sure what. Sandy thinks they gave us the wrong adapter at the dealer and wants us to call them tomorrow. I guess that is a possibility. The more I sit here, the more possible I think it is that we didn't get everything we were supposed to.

Also, where is a good place to order a 30 amp power cord from? I looked earlier and saw one from WalMart and one from Home Depot, but those don't look right either. Are the male end and female ends standardized? I'd like to send a picture of the RV's plug-in for you, but don't see an option for photos. There has to be one lol. I'll send it in this thread if possible.

So again, any suggestions?

Mark&Sandy

You should be glad you failed to get your RV hooked up to the power at home. You would have blown out the electronics in your RV. RVs are 110 and your 30 amp or 50 amp outlet at home is 220. Do you know what happens when you power 110 volt appliances with 220? That is why the adaptors don't work. This is what you need for at home:

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Dogbone-Electrical-Innovative-PowerGrip/dp/B000BUU5YA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1533505458&sr=8-3&keywords=rv+30+amp+to+15+amp+adapter

Mark. The adapter would go on the end of your cord where you would plug it in at your house, not at the RV end. You should take the RV back to the dealer and have someone give you a thorough orientation that how to operate everything in your RV.

This is the adapter you need.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-PowerGrip-Adapter-Contoured-55223/dp/B00192JGA8/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1533505742&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=30+amp+female+to+15+amp+male&dpPl=1&dpID=31qOsjzI-NL&ref=plSrch

If that's not what you need, you don't have 30 amp service.

kdbgoat said:

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-PowerGrip-Adapter-Contoured-55223/dp/B00192JGA8/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1533505742&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=30+amp+female+to+15+amp+male&dpPl=1&dpID=31qOsjzI-NL&ref=plSrch

That is neat, I have never seen one like that before. Thanks for posting that Goat.

kdbgoat said:

That adapter has the correct ends, but it the least desirable style out there.

Those puck style adapters have a tendency to overheat and melt, and simply don't fit into many weather-proof outlets. A straight dog bone adapter, without a 90 degree plug on the 15 amp end, are the best.

SeilerBird said:
That is neat, I have never seen one like that before. Thanks for posting that Goat.

You're welcome. I'm glad to help. That is the type that comes with the starter kits these days. I've used one like that for three years at home and never had a problem.

SeilerBird said:
You should be glad you failed to get your RV hooked up to the power at home. You would have blown out the electronics in your RV. RVs are 110 and your 30 amp or 50 amp outlet at home is 220. Do you know what happens when you power 110 volt appliances with 220? That is why the adaptors don't work. This is what you need for at home:

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Dogbone-Electrical-Innovative-PowerGrip/dp/B000BUU5YA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1533505458&sr=8-3&keywords=rv+30+amp+to+15+amp+adapter

Thank you. The plug-in on the trailer itself does not have the D shaped ground. I really think they left something off.

Marl&Sandy   

ChasA said:
Mark. The adapter would go on the end of your cord where you would plug it in at your house, not at the RV end. You should take the RV back to the dealer and have someone give you a thorough orientation that how to operate everything in your RV.

That was impolite. Neither end fit anything else.

My suggestion is to shop Amazon, great prices, fast delivery.  Also use a dogbone style 30 to 15 amp adapter not one of those pucks that are prone to overheating if you need to plug into a household 15 or 20 amp outlet.  https://smile.amazon.com/Camco-Dogbone-Electrical-Innovative-PowerGrip/dp/B000BUU5YA  one nice thing about this one is the right able 15 amp end, there are cheaper ones with straight 15 amp plugs but the weight of the cord leverages them out of the outlet.

I'm sorry you thought I was impolite.  But I stand by what i said about taking it back to the dealer. If something is missing then they have to fix it.

mpolsue1 said:
Thank you. The plug-in on the trailer itself does not have the D shaped ground. I really think they left something off.

Marl&Sandy 
Well then post a photo of the end so we will know what we are dealing with here.

It looks to me like you're missing the power cord that should have come with the RV. The trailer end is possibly a Marinco style threaded female socket, and the other end an RV 120-volt 30 amp male plug.

Attachments

• 30A-Powercord-Plus.jpg
    30A-Powercord-Plus.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 16
ChasA said:
I'm sorry you thought I was impolite.  But I stand by what i said about taking it back to the dealer. If something is missing then they have to fix it.

We are going to talk to the dealer tomorrow by phone and tell them what is going on. That may indeed end up with us taking it back this weekend. If we can't use the TT, what good is it, at the moment, at least?

Mark&Sandy 

SeilerBird said:
Well then post a photo of the end so we will know what we are dealing with here.

Took the picture with my phone. Usually am here on the PC. Am on it now. Can't see on the phone even how to post lol. We'll see lol.

Mark&Sandy

NY_Dutch said:
It looks to me like you're missing the power cord that should have come with the RV. The trailer end is possibly a Marinco style threaded female socket, and the other end an RV 120-volt 30 amp male plug.

If they usually give a 30 amp power cord with the starter kit, then that is a BINGO, sir. We'll find out if they forgot to give us one. :)

Mark&Sandy

Isaac-1 said:
My suggestion is to shop Amazon, great prices, fast delivery.  Also use a dogbone style 30 to 15 amp adapter not one of those pucks that are prone to overheating if you need to plug into a household 15 or 20 amp outlet.  https://smile.amazon.com/Camco-Dogbone-Electrical-Innovative-PowerGrip/dp/B000BUU5YA  one nice thing about this one is the right able 15 amp end, there are cheaper ones with straight 15 amp plugs but the weight of the cord leverages them out of the outlet.

Thank you, Isaac! I appreciate it.

Mark& Sandy

mpolsue1 said:
Took the picture with my phone. Usually am here on the PC. Am on it now. Can't see on the phone even how to post lol. We'll see lol.

Mark&Sandy
Click on the link button located on the photo. Choose a destination.

mpolsue1 said:
If they usually give a 30 amp power cord with the starter kit, then that is a BINGO, sir. We'll find out if they forgot to give us one. :)

Mark&Sandy

It should have been included as standard equipment with the trailer. Have you checked all of the storage bins?

Back
Top Bottom