Where to get my tires

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MartyB

Good morning everyone.  Gonna be leaving for the first of what I hope are many trips down south for the winter months.  My 5er is going to be needing rubber soon.  Were should I get them?  I live in the Woodstock area of Ontario.  I have priced the same Carlisle tires for my 5er at $700.00 for the set of 4.
How's that sound to you guys and gals?

Gary RV_Wizard said:
It would be helpful if you stated the tire size - price can vary widely with size and load range.

true
I see Carlisle's going for anywhere between 100 and 190 CAD each

Sorry guys.    235 80 16.  I didn't  think $700 was that bad either.  I was wondering if enough people would SLAM Carlisle as junk.  What I hear is they are not that bad if that is what I can afford.
I was hoping someone would say "wait till you get to Fla. or Texas.  You can get Goodyear's for 700 or 800.

Thanks gang

Carlisle is a reputable brand. At the current exchange rate your cc will likely take a beating if you buy south of the border. Are you a Costco member? They have good prices, a lot of their tires are 'seconds' with cosmetic blemishes but stay with known brands.

MartyB, This is only my opinion.....but, I?d avoid Carlisle tires. They used to be a good tire, in fact, many years ago I used them when racing motorcycles....but, they?re not what they used to be. There are far superior tires available, that wouldn?t be a lot more expensive!  memtb

If you are looking at the Carlisle Radial Trail HD, that is what I have, and they seem to be a good tire. They are the newest design, with a more modern design technology.
At any rate, I havent heard of anyone reporting any widespread issues with them.

Ive put about 700 miles on mine and the nubs have barely worn off, seem to be wearing very well.

I think Carlisle ST trailer tires are OK, but you can get others in the same price that have excellent reputations. The current favorite among trailer RVers is the Goodyear Endurance, but before that everybody raved over the Maxxis ST235/80R16. You should be able to get either of them for around US$650 for a set of 4.  Not sure about availability & pricing in Canada, though.

They can be ordered online and then you pay a local tire shop to mount and balance.
https://www.amazon.com/Maxxis-M8008-Radial-Trailer-Tire/dp/B004QL6HYM

I looked at some Ontario tire shop websites and they all seem to feature the Carlisle plus some no-name brands.  Prices runaround C$175 each for the Carlisle Radial Trail HD in your size.  I looked at KAL and Canadian Tire.

MartyB said:
Sorry guys.    235 80 16.  I didn't  think $700 was that bad either.  I was wondering if enough people would SLAM Carlisle as junk.  What I hear is they are not that bad if that is what I can afford.
I was hoping someone would say "wait till you get to Fla. or Texas.  You can get Goodyear's for 700 or 800.

Thanks gang

At that size you can buy a wide variety of LT tires.  Personally I would wait till you get south and buy them.
If you insist on an ST tire Good Year Endurance.  If your up for LTs Michelins would be your best choice.

In the states you should be able to get 4 GY Endurance ST235/80R16 for about US$750 installed. Some places will want $800+, but shop around.  You can but the tires for about $650 but mounting, balance and disposal fees/taxes are extra.

Thanks for all your input guys.    I can get my US money at a very good exchange, so I'm not too worried with that.  I was quoted 1200 can for Endurance as well as the  750 for the Carlisle's.
I think I'll be waiting till I get to the states for the tires.
Thanks again.

Well I did it.
I went ahead and bought the tires in Canada.  580. + tax.  I think it was a good deal.
Carlisle HD.  I'm happy with them...so far.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom