Where to get propane tank filled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cheapest place for me with portable tanks, and I wouldn't know why you couldn't pull up with a class A, is Ace Hardware.

Most Tractor Supplys have a fill station, will accomodate RVs and portable tanks. I take my auxillary tank to a local propane supplier.

Check with the Tractor Supply store first. We have one near us and it would be next to impossilbe to get an RV near the tanks.

Check with the Tractor Supply store first. We have one near us and it would be next to impossilbe to get an RV near the tanks.
Good advice. We've come across some TS stores that have propane but would be impossible to get near enough to fill our coach tank. One brand new TS location near us has propane and and very easy access to fill up. Perhaps they had us RVers in mind during construction?

My vintage Class C had a permanent mounted tank. I only filled it at a home town propane distributor that had a large parking lot and clear access to the pumping station.

We had ended up working in a county that had no place to fill the tank so I built a home made "extend-a-stay" (which is basically a brass "T" installed between the permanent tank and the regulator) with modifications to allow me to use my propane grill as well as a 20# tank. We could do tank swaps but not refill a 20# tank unless we drove into the next county.

For the bus conversion, I used several 20" tanks (two are "swappable") on a manifold system. I don't move since the job doesn't move. I have a 250 gallon tank that is connected to the manifold. I take the 20# tanks on the truck camper to the same company who fills my large tank.

You not only have to be able to get close enough to reach but it takes a different fitting that not all stations have and most states license propane vendors and not all of them are authorized to fill DOT tanks.
Kirk, you seem to be mixing up the portable DOT cylinders and built-in ASME tanks. Many refillers can fill DOT cylinders, but not all are equipped to fill ASME permanent tanks. No special authorizations are needed to fill either one, just the personnel need to meet the state training requirements. And the proper adapters of course...

Most extended-stay RV parks, think staying the winter, have an LP delivery truck drive through the park once a week to fill both DOT cylinders and ASME tanks on MH's.

The small RV park in our Colorado mountain town sells propane, diesel, and gas. Currently posting $5.399 per gallon for gasoline which is $2.50 higher than the next available gasoline on I-70 via a mountainous drive. Don't know their propane price, but they have it versus a long drive.

Last edited:
Since he didn't say what type of RV he has, how do you know that his is a DOT cylinder?
What I spoke to was you saying in reference to refillers, "not all of them are authorized to fill DOT tanks." I don't know why any refiller would not fill the common portable DOT cylinders. Not all are equipped to refill permanent ASME tanks though, often due to nothing more than the lack of parking access at their refill station.

I know this is a subjective question, but how long will a tank of propane last if we don't use the stove very much?
Thanks in advance for any advice. :)
It's easy to estimate how much propane you'll use. Propane contains about 90,000 BTUs per hour, gas appliance are rated in how many BTUs they use per hour of operation. So you just divide the BTU rating of the appliance into 90,000 to get the consumption per hour of operation.

Most RV furnaces are rated at 30,000-40,000 BTUs, so they'll use 1/3 to 1/2 gallon each hour they're actively providing heat. This is by far the largest user.

Tank type water heaters are next at about 12,000 BTUs. So they'll use about 1/12th of a gallon if the flame burns for a half hour to heat a tank of water for a shower.

Tankless water heaters have a much larger flame, up to twice as large as the furnace, so they'll consume 2/3 of a gallon each hour the flame is on, though usually it's only on when you're actually using the hot water.

The stove is actually one of the smallest users. They usually have two or more small burners that consumes about 6000 BTU each at full heat. Some have two small burners and one large 9000 BTU burner. So figure on using at most about 1/10 - 1/15 a gallon per burner, per hour.

I don't know........
Go back and look at post #19. ~~~ :unsure:
It's easy to estimate how much propane you'll use
If you somehow know how much of the time that your furnace will be running since in cold weather most of us just leave both of them on 24/7. But run times are a very subjective thing and while the water heater takes a major ambient temperature change to have much effect, it doesn't take a lot to impact the furnace run time. The length of time propane will last when nights are chilly is very different from nights well below freezing.

Last edited:
We filled several times on our adventures this past fall.
It seems in northern states it's much easier to get a fill at a gas station (makes sense, it'sneeded more in the north). Chevrons in particular usually have propane fill service.
In the south, most Tractor Supply stores have fill service, but on one morning occasion "the guy that pumps it comes in at 1pm".
Used a U-Haul once. They had to move some trailers out of the way before I could get close enough.
Also did the Flying J thing, and as others have already said, it was slow getting help, but access was better. The Tractor Supply and U-Haul places keep their tanks inside their gated yards, which complicates access.

Well, SC is definitely different than back home in Northern NY. My supplier up there, when he comes to fill my home 500 gal tank, they will fill the motorhome onboard tank and number of the 20lb. tanks that I can provide. They carry the adapters.
The delivery guy in SC has all the adapters as well, they just have a policy against RVs. I was present at the park manager's place in SC whern he came there, filled the 500 gal tank and 5 20lb. bottles!
Maybe if I could convince the park to me on their account! ;)

Cheapest place for me with portable tanks, and I wouldn't know why you couldn't pull up with a class A, is Ace Hardware.
I frequently filled my Class A at ACE hardware in Seneca SC.. And yes they were way cheaper than other options.. LOVE's in Fair Play (just south of Seneca) put in Propane as well.. They too had good prices.

Murdoch's ranch supply is what's available out here for propane. Our local ACE and Tractor Supply stores don't perform propane refills to my knowledge.

Always have backup tank(s) and other options. We have three 5 gallons, four 7.5 gallons, and two 10 gallons for our TT's and the two generators.

We returned to our over 2,000 square foot manufactured home from Virginia to Colorado on a Thursday night just before a snowstorm 1 1/2 weeks ago. Our daughters were checking our 500 gallon propane tank. I was informed that day it was at around 30%. I found it that night at 23%. Couldn't call until Monday due to I had to clear 1/5 of a mile driveway of 6" fresh snow and get our TT out of the way for delivery. We've been below 20% since a week ago. Still awaiting delivery. Propane is our main source of home furnace heat and for our water heater. Our backups are running 24/7 being a pellet stove and space heaters. Current temperature is 5F. One gets propane tank running out of gas anxiety the colder it gets, especially with more snow in the forecast.

Many KOA campgrounds sell propane right at the campground. Many privately owned campgrounds that have seasonal sites have their own propane fill up also. They may charge slightly more than Ace Hardware, Tractor Supply, the local Co-op, or an RV dealership, but they are convenient.

Do a Google search on your computer or cell phone. Type in "Propane fill up" and the closest city and state you are at. You'll get "hits." That's how we do it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
abrown666
Back
Top Bottom