Where to park RV permanently?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RiseNshine

We have had our 2006 Coachman travel trailer for many years and have enjoyed many family adventures. Now our kids are older and we would like to keep our travel trailer more stationary. We would love to be able to permanently park close to a beach or lake in NJ, NY, or PA (preferably the Jerseys shore). That would allow us to get away for the weekends and also move the camper from our driveway. However, many of the campgrounds we are contacting have annual memberships from April-October then we would have to remove our camper from the campground site. Are there any campgrounds/memberships that allow one to permanently park without moving it at the end of the season? Any suggestions?

Yes, they are called mobile home parks. Buy a lot and park your trailer for as long as you like.

I know of several parks in PA, NY, and NJ that are either open year round or allow seasonal renters to leave their RV's on their site unoccupied during the winter closure. None are near waterways suitable for swimming though.

Some seasonal RV parks do allow off-season storage in the park, but you have to hunt them down individually and ask. Check their website or call.
This is exactly what my brother did in Ohio. When he finally got to talk to the RV park owner where he settled the deal was something like, "The permit we have limits the number of winter guests we can have. We currently are full for year round slots. You can move in and if someone gives up a year round slot you might get it."

This of course was for year round occupancy. Other folks were allowed to "store" their unit there but power was shut off and they weren't allowed to occupy it.

As it turned out staying for the winter was more about if the owner liked you or not. The rule allowed him to sweep out people he was fed up with and sweep in a new crop.

Face to face discussion was the key.

The other option is to look for place where you can "buy" an RV slot.

This is exactly what my brother did in Ohio. When he finally got to talk to the RV park owner where he settled the deal was something like, "The permit we have limits the number of winter guests we can have. We currently are full for year round slots. You can move in and if someone gives up a year round slot you might get it."

This of course was for year round occupancy. Other folks were allowed to "store" their unit there but power was shut off and they weren't allowed to occupy it.

As it turned out staying for the winter was more about if the owner liked you or not. The rule allowed him to sweep out people he was fed up with and sweep in a new crop.

Face to face discussion was the key.

The other option is to look for place where you can "buy" an RV slot.
Thank you for the information. Very helpful. Do you know how we can buy an RV slot? I think that is what we are interested in but not sure where to look. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Google is your friend. Just do a search "RV lots for sale" in the states you listed.

You could look at zillow or trulia for a non-rv park lot. Look for a place that is zoned for a mobile home. A place with a too small house or house needing repairs, perhaps a place with a mobile home on it already. I would suggest a place with water. electric, sewer/septic and a driveway already in place (those things are expensive to add on).

Google is your friend. Just do a search "RV lots for sale" in the states you listed.

Thanks! 😊

We purchased 10 acres with two creeks for $37,000 in SW Virginia. No utilities. Our so cleared it and found an old logging road. It cost us about $11,000 to have electric brought in. I had to buy a tractor to maintain the property; $21,000. Road base for the driveway; about $3,000. we purchased a log cabin park model; $52,000. We didn’t get to the septic or the water. We sold the property to our son.

Attachments

• 6ADF2ED0-1DF9-4448-A710-07F6E72E2F8B.jpeg
    6ADF2ED0-1DF9-4448-A710-07F6E72E2F8B.jpeg
    381.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 9ABC5B67-D0DD-4FFD-B872-F34B1B0CB1F0.jpeg
    9ABC5B67-D0DD-4FFD-B872-F34B1B0CB1F0.jpeg
    219 KB · Views: 5
  • B7840B2C-DB5D-450E-BE7F-B9134F0EDD09.jpeg
    B7840B2C-DB5D-450E-BE7F-B9134F0EDD09.jpeg
    270.6 KB · Views: 5
  • A9185574-832B-48AD-9488-3A1C8F76EA5D.jpeg
    A9185574-832B-48AD-9488-3A1C8F76EA5D.jpeg
    160 KB · Views: 5
You could look at zillow or trulia for a non-rv park lot. Look for a place that is zoned for a mobile home. A place with a too small house or house needing repairs, perhaps a place with a mobile home on it already. I would suggest a place with water. electric, sewer/septic and a driveway already in place (those things are expensive to add on).
Thank you.

State innkeeper laws govern RV parks in most states, which is why a mobile home park or buying private property would work better.

IBT beat me to it handily - The easiest is a slot in an RV park that you can own. it comes with something like HOA fees and a bunch of rules. The do all the common maintenance and maintain utilities and haul trash etc. like a condo or townhouse.

I lived urban for 55 years and was extremely tired of rules. I did pretty much what OldGator did. I bought 5 acres in north/central Florida, Cleared the land and had the utilities brought in/reestablished.

Most of those properties in the links IBT provided will put you in touch with the listing agent. If you find an area you like and there is a property that you don't like, get a hold of that agent. My property wasn't listed there but the agent had it on her books.

The original property I was looking at advertised river front but actually it wasn't.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom