Where to store the fishing poles?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
When we took our 14 weeks maiden voyage in the coach there was no way I was leaving home without a selection of fishing gear. I managed to find room in the basement for a couple of bins, one for tackle and the other for waders, vest, etc. The "safest" place I could find for the fishing poles was under the head of the bed. Ours has an elevated section approx 4' high and 3' deep that runs the width of the bed. All the poles, broken down into their 2 or 3 pieces, fitted nicely in this area, although they had to be laid diagonally to fit. One or two short 1-piece poles also fitted, although not as safely as I would have liked.

I was very careful every time I raised the bed to access something that I did not inadvertently move a pole and have it get crushed when I lowered the bed. But the inevitable happened - someone (not me and definitely not the other half) moved a pole and ..... crunch.

Has anyone found a better solution for storing fishing poles?

If you have passthrough bays, mount some rod holders on the ceiling.  For even better protection, hang some large diameter PVC in the bays.

Ned

I have pass-through bays, but there's a large duct that runs the length of the coach. Suspending anything beneath that would significantly restrict the capacity of the bay.

Yes, you have the Roadmaster chassis.  On our Freighliner chassis with the raised rails, the passthrough in the bays is on the top of the rails.  Good place to store those long items.

My Winnebago has a 10' long compartment on one side running lenghtways (doesn't pass through).  I use a large diameter PVC tube on the top of that compartment.

Robert

Ned said:
Yes, you have the Roadmaster chassis.  On our Freightliner chassis with the raised rails, the passthrough in the bays is on the top of the rails.  Good place to store those long items.

Ned

IIRC, you have the XC straight rail chassis. The raised rail chassis has the open bay design since the chassis rails are raised above the bay areas.

Bernie,

Right you are, I got the two designs confused.  My passthrough is on the top of the bays, not on the bottom. 

OK Ned, make up your mind which chassis you have  ;D

We have collapsible casting rods that fit just about anywhere.  When I put the flyrod on board it will go along the chassis rails between the two bays that are open between them.  tackle box just rides in its designated spot on the bay.

Tom:  Well, I don't know what to do with fishing poles themselves, but I have a black Bazuka Pro fishing rod case velcroed to the luggage rack on top of my toad.  The Bazuka Pro has 6" of cargo diameter.  There are regular cases that are smaller.  I carry my sewer hose in the Bazuka Pro.  The case is black, looks a lot classier than PVC up there, I never have to take it off the car, it weighs next to nothing empty and is aerodynamic enough to create relatively little wind resistance, and the sewer hose fits great.  The case expands from 76 to 102" in length.  I needed exactly the 76".  I wrapped the long double sided CampingWorld velcro around the case and through the carrying handle and it stays ok. Slides sideways a little, but it can't go more than a few inches.  I'd like to get some wratcheting cargo straps, but they all attach with hooks that could pop off.  The velcro is holding fine.  The case opens at the end, and I just slide in the contracted hose.  I've connected two of the rhino hoses and the grey fittings.  The 6" diameter inside holds everything comfortably.  The case can be seen on the Bass Pro website.  I have also considered lashing the case vertically to the ladder in back of my motorhome, but that's not as convenient and not necessary. 

--pat

Pat

Remind me not to ask you to carry my fishing poles in your Bazooka case  ;D

I have a rack across the middle in my Pace arrow that has the padded clamps common for holding fishing poles. I have to pull them out on one side and then walk around and do it on the other though.
Not sure whether they were factory installed or the prior owner installed them.

Woody

"Bazuka."  They spell it wrong on purpose. 

Hey, my fishing rod case is...well, Ok, you'd probably want a separate carrier for the rods.  Up here in OR a fishing rod case on the roof rack is not an uncommon sight.

--pat

Pat said:
Up here in OR a fishing rod case on the roof rack is not an uncommon sight.

Not sure I'd want to climb on the roof of my coach to retrieve or store a fishing pole  ;D

Tom:  My fishing rod case is on the toad - a '99 Chevy Tracker 4-door.  I don't store anything on the roof of the coach.  First, the roof's too busy with other stuff, and mainly I don't have the agility to climb and carry.  When I want to sweep up there, I lay the broom on the roof, reaching from the back step.  Then when I'm finish, I just toss the broom down on the ground. 

--pat

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom