Where to visit in the USA?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnSandyWhite

:) Hi Tom. Our friends are visiting their daughter in Newport Coast. We are spending Xmas with them and perhps do a week or so tour up the coast with them before we have to drive back East.  ;) It is great to see Family isn't it? We usually go to Spain in Winter. Long story for another time. So this year it's the USA. We don't want to go too far North because we hate the COLD.  :eek:

John

I have to admit that, although I'd been to Newport Beach and Newport Bay, I had no idea there was a Newport Coast until reading your message. Had to look it up in my GPS/mapping software.

Assuming you're not interested in Mickey Mouse, Beverly Hills, or Hollywood, here's a trip you can make up the California coast. You might have to be selective, given that you only have a week:

A short trip north of Newport is Long Beach. A neat little town with a great (and free) public transport system.

Another neat town, further north, is Santa Barbara.

Continue north to Solvang, a Danish community. That time of year, every store will be lit up for the season and all the storekeepers will be in Danish national costume.

San Simeon is the location of Hearst Castle.

Monterey and Carmel, south of the bay area.

San Francisco has lots of things to see.

Cross the Golden Gate bridge and head up into the Napa Valley, aka wine country.

Lots more to do and places to see, but you'll be out of time.

:) Thanks for that Tom. The reason we are doing a 3 month Tour is to show Sandy the USA. I myself did a 3 month tour while I was in the Royal Signals Motor Cycle Display Team (The White Helmets) in 1969. We started off at Madison Sq Gardens, New York. Went up into Canada. Then Philly, Raleigh, Houston, Touscon, San Antonio, San Diego, Los Angeles, San Fransisco, Up into Canada again then to Boston before we flew back to the UK. I have missed a few I cannot remember and some are porbably in the wrong order. We went to 19 places altogether not counting the places we went through to get there.  ;)

Oops, I ignored your 3 month trip and was trying to cram everything into your 1 week at Christmas  ;D  I'm sure others here will jump in with places to visit across the U.S. Meanwhile, forum staffer Carl Lundquist put together a tour of the western states. To view it, click the Library button above, select Places to see and things to do, then click Tour the western states. However, you'll need to avoid the northernmost areas during winter months.

If you're coming over this year, at the beginning of November Gary & Nancy Brincks are hosting the Southeast Fall rally. Click here for details.

:D Hi all. Just an update to let you know we are now on Longwood, Orlando (Seminole country). Our friend Tommy has had a Jaguar XJ6 converted with a Chevy 305 V8 motor for us to use while we are here. Should be pretty good to take a look around in. We are now sourcing an RV ready for our Tour. We arre currently online with a Wifi (PCMCIA card connection) surfing for FREE.  ;D

John and Sandy,

Welcome to the USA! Please stay in touch and keep us advised of progress and your travels.

John:

I have spent the last several years traveling the USA by RV.  Of course there are hundreds if not thousands of truly great places to visit.  If you have access to sat TV or cable, watch "RV Today" on the OLN network (Channel 208 on Direct TV), usually weekday mornings.  Each show features a terrific place to visit by RV.

If I had to pick just one place to visit, it would be the most awesome site I have ever witnessed in my life ... The North Rim of the Grand Canyon.  When we visit there we stay at RV Corral in Kanab Utah, just 90 minutes away (at speed limits).  Though next year we plan to boondock inside the park itself, just outside the North Rim.  I far prefer the North Rim over the South Rim for its breathtaking beauty.  though the train ride to the South Rim is a great experience as well.

;) Thanks for that Smokey. Seeing as New Orleans is going to be out of our Itinery, our friend Tommy has suggested Colorado as a good place to visit. We now have our new-to-us 1996 Newmar Mountain Aire 37ft with slide-out. With a name like that, we just have to go and visit those big tall Mountains.  :D

Southern Utah has some of the most spetacular scenery in the US.  Moab area, Zions, Arches, Bryce Canyon, and much more plus you can take in the Grand Canyon on the way to or from.  Very Highly recommend it.

JohnSandyWhite said:
;) Thanks for that Smokey. Seeing as New Orleans is going to be out of our Itinery, our friend Tommy has suggested Colorado as a good place to visit. We now have our new-to-us 1996 Newmar Mountain Aire 37ft with slide-out. With a name like that, we just have to go and visit those big tall Mountains.? :D

Colorado after Xmas and you want to avoid the cold!? ?:eek:? ? I have done CO in January.? In Aspen to be exact.? ?For skiing.? And the temps were in the 10s.

If you you are traveling in the winter months in the US, stay south.? Consider 1-10 as the axis of your travel.? See the deserts and canyons.? Take in San Diego, Tucson, Quartzite, Borrego Springs in California.

On the other hand if you are into skiing, snowshoeing or winter mountaineering, ignore everything I have just said.? ?;D

Carl... I'm planing on going from Detroit to Las vegas, Indio Ca and Quartzsite Az in January

Alas, all the routing services want me to take a more northernly route.

I'm going to have to work on that some  (I agree with you.. I-10 the way to go)

I may have to find a site oh, about a day south of Detroit, and start there

John,

Put a way point at Gulfport and the route should get you south enough :)

John -  Don't know if you are aware of the HUGE Rest area in Indiana on I-70 west of Indy.  106 to 108 Mile marker.  We have found it to be a great place to rest and grab a few winks when traveling. Have used it very often and never had troubles with as much space as you wish.  One of the largest I seen while traveling, Clean too., Bothe sides of the highway.  Just a suggestion.  We try to make that one of our pit stops when heading that way.  Good luck and happy motoring.

John In Detroit said:
Carl... I'm planing on going from Detroit to Las vegas, Indio Ca and Quartzsite Az in January

Alas, all the routing services want me to take a more northernly route.

I'm going to have to work on that some? (I agree with you.. I-10 the way to go)

I may have to find a site oh, about a day south of Detroit, and start there

Do not have any experience east of the Mississippi.  What I might recommend, based on not wanting to meet I-10 east of Houston (hurricane damage) is for you to aim at Austin/San Antonio, TX.  Both are worthy tourist destinations in their own right, Austin particularly if you are into contemporary country music.  From San Antone, just head west on I-10.  You cross the Great Divide on that route at an altitude of some 4000 feet between Lordsburg and Deming, NM.  Vegas is an easy hop north from Quartzite.

Carl Lundquist said:
Do not have any experience east of the Mississippi.  What I might recommend, based on not wanting to meet I-10 east of Houston (hurricane damage) is for you to aim at Austin/San Antonio, TX.  Both are worthy tourist destinations in their own right, Austin particularly if you are into contemporary country music.  From San Antone, just head west on I-10.  You cross the Great Divide on that route at an altitude of some 4000 feet between Lordsburg and Deming, NM.  Vegas is an easy hop north from Quartzite.

Carl... That sounds good for the trip home but going out the plan is Las Vegas To indio to QZ

I'll have to make a phone call so I can talk to a human router instead of using a computer.  That has been my plan all along...I'd like to leave here jan 2, then hit Las Vegas on or before Friday (what is that 1/6/6) and then Indio by the 11th, well, on the 11th, and you know about QZ and .... Well from QZ I get real lazy

Gosh, isn't it hard to explain to someone from outside this large beautiful, as to what to visit, whenfew of us have ever seen it ourselves.  I've been traveling in campers, MH, and staying in Motels, via vacations and traveling while selling and have seen very little of the good old USA.  At my senior age, I haven't begun to seen nearly as much as I thought I would.  You can go to the Smithsonian and spend a week or 2 in it and not see it all. To see the beautiful skys of Montana, Pikes Peak, the Gorge, The apple blossoms, the falls, the War Museums, battlefields, the entertainment Parks, as well as the millions of other places throughout the country.  Wish we could travel in time speed and view it ourselves. But it's not possible to view it all. Each State you could spend an eternity in every area of the country. We take it for granted, but it's so huge, no one from overseas could ever comprehend what and why we love it so much. After all the traveling someone in the UK or another country in Europe can travel can do there, they would be completely absorbed by the physical size of the good ole USA.  I am each and everytime I venture to a new location or for that fact visit a previous location.  Not that suggestions aren't great, but I thought about putting myself in his spot and until we know what he's interested in and go from there.  Naturally should they have 3 yrs to spend on continuous travel a huge agenda would work to a great advantage.  I  for sure would be very confused coming here, but would certainly be thrilled with the adventure of a lifetime and probaby want to extend the time no matter if I had been here a week, a month, a year, or an eternity. Hope I'm not out of line by stating this but as an old Gheezer, that's the way I look at it.  Right or wrong that's just an opinion.

Carl... That sounds good for the trip home but going out the plan is Las Vegas To indio to QZ

The direct route is to Denver then west on I-70 to I-15 in mid Utah then I-15 to Vegas, and from Vegas I-15 to San Berdoo CA then east on I-10 to Indo.

I would note than on that route I-70 go climbs a serious grade going over the San Rafeal Swell and the route in Colorado thru garden spots like Rifle will be nippy.  West of Grand Junction I have hit white outs and actually gotten blow off the road in a Chevy Nova, chains and all.  Winter can be really serious on that route.  Even in CA, the I-15 thru Cajon Pass just north of San Bernardino is notorious for winds (up to 75mph) and snow.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom