Where Would You Go and Why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gc24

If you wanted to tour for six months in the west during the winter months, what states and cities would you go and why, and then the opposite for summer?

Foe me, I'd need to know if this was a one yrar adventure of if I had 5-10 years to do it.

IMO, a once in a life time one year tour is like an intro to history or art or literature. It would give me several hundred places I'd like to spend more time visiting, the dream of many full timers. Survey, priortize and get to know in depth.

Start with a list of national parks, monuments, archeological sites, national scenic drives, state capitols. Add in RV Forum rallies Quartzsite in Jan, Moab in May. Visit state tourist info centers as you reach each new state.

Add in places to pursue your hobbies, such as astronomical observatories, the Monteray bay aquarium, automobile race tracks...

gc24 said:
If you wanted to tour for six months in the west during the winter months, what states and cities would you go and why, and then the opposite for summer?

Winter:  Being that I am a desert phreake, that is easy:  Death and Panamint Valleys;  Anza Borrego Desert State Park and Borrego Springs in CA.;  Quartzite in AZ;  Tucson.    San Diego is also a great spot to avoid the cold. 

Summer:  Southern Oregon for the Shakespearian and music festivals;  Yosemite if you can get in.  Mammoth Lakes and the Eastern Sierrra including the Owens Valley.  Bishop is loverly in early October in time for the fall Sierran color and trout fishing.    Solvang, Lake Cachuma and the Santa Y?ez Valley just north of Santa Barbara.  Monterrey and Santa Cruz.  Western Washington State including the Olympic Penninsula.  Olema, Sonoma, Marin County and San Francisco.

A 'must see' in my book is the Lake Mead Recreational Area in general and Valley of Fire State Park in particular - Some of the most spectacular scenery and rock formations? anywhere.

Attachments

• DSCN0030small.jpg
    DSCN0030small.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 35
  • DSCN0046small.jpg
    DSCN0046small.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCN0055small.jpg
    DSCN0055small.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 26
gc24 said:

The Moab, UT area is a must see!!! Several National Parks: Arches, Canyonlands, Capital Reef. A little further south is the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument, Monument Valley, Bryce Canyon, Zion, Kanab for access to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. You could spend several months in the area. I would like to do that someday. I would avoid the summer time and it's too cold in the winter but early to mid spring should be great. Our rallies in late April usually are very nice weatherwise. These areas usually are less crowded than the south rim of the Grand Canyon. We decided this spring that Canyonlands was as magnificent as the Grand Canyon and much more enjoyable.

Back
Top Bottom