Whetstones and Dicks Head South

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PancakeBill

Figured I would add a topic that the Dicks and us could post on with our escape from the snow, (Jolene and I will return to), and if interested you could see what we are seeing.

Day 1, headed to Fort Hall, ID, just an overnight, easy drive day.  Day 2, Willard Bay SP, Igden, UT, another easy day drive, and Jolenes family home town.  Some qquick visits, and hit the road to escape coming winter storm.  Then Day 4 to Bryce Canyon.  Not quite of the nasty weather yet, and snow in forecast, so cut it short there and headed to Kanab, UT.  Had hiking permits for Coyite Buttes South, and then tried the draw for the Wave and got permit.  Yeehaa,  did the Wave yesterday, and we are all on ibuprofen to relax. 

Day 8, tomorrow we head south a bit further  Still below freezing here at night, but days are tolerable in the 50's.

Attachments

• _MG_1960.jpg
    _MG_1960.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 75
So glad you got tickets for The Wave!  Isn't it neat?!?  I can relate to the ibuprofen.  It's a tough hike but worth the effort.

ArdraF

Sure glad you guys got to the wave.  Probably a pretty good time of the year to get in.  Sure looking forward to seeing some images.

See the following link to our 2007 hike of The Wave.  It was the FitzGeralds, Marabitos, and Richard Sharp.  We were all exhausted afterwards but loved it!

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?topic=10922.msg97997#msg97997

ArdraF

The Wave is on my bucket list. Aren't you glad the wind died down ? It sucked on Friday and Saturday. Been downright nippy in Vegas since we got here so we're headed further southwest on Wednesday.....Bolsa Chica beach is calling.

Wendy

Wendy, will you guys be anywhere near us in the next time frame?  Probably Camp Verde area tomorrow, Jim & Pat will likely stay on a little longer there while we head towards Phoenix area to see son.  Then I think all of us to Tucson for some time. 

The week before we were leaving it snowed about every day.  Accumulating more and more.  Very cold temps, then about 4 days before leaving we got a warm spell, mellted everything and we left on a clear sunny dry road day.  While in Ogden, where we were considering 3 nights, the forecast showed a huge storm, so we cut it back and headed south.  Still got some cold temps, but the roads were all good. 

Today we head down another step south, likely to Camp Verde area.  and YES, we were very happy to get out before snow.  Now we need a good dumping up there so the snowmachines can travel.

Glad to see you guys made the Wave. I wish I had done in in cooler weather like you had. It's just a great place. Did you still go in to the South Coyote Buttes area, or did you save that for a future visit?

Here's one--Just imagine a surfboard and surfer on the wave

Attachments

• _LND1948_49_50_tonemapped.jpg
    _LND1948_49_50_tonemapped.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 45
Bill, We're headed to the California coast, Bolsa Chica, for awhile then out to Anza Borrego for a month so looks like we'll miss you....unless you're coming to Quartzsite for a break from the snow?

Wendy
North Las Vegas Elks

Wendy, let me know when you and Mike get out to Anza Borrego.  One of our booster stations is in Borrego Springs (at 92.9 FM) and while they really don't require much maintenance, it's one I haven't been to yet.

Good excuse for a visit.  <g>

Lou Schneider said:
Wendy, let me know when you and Mike get out to Anza Borrego.  One of our booster stations is in Borrego Springs (at 92.9 FM) and while they really don't require much maintenance, it's one I haven't been to yet.

Good excuse for a visit.  <g>
Lou, we get there Monday after T-giving, Nov 26. Will be there a month (or at least that's the current plan). I think you need to visit that poor booster station while we're there :)

Wendy
North Las Vegas

We plan to  be in Anza Borrego the week before Quartzsite.  We "think"  Pat and Jim will be joining us and Jerry and Ardra. Sounds like we could make a rally of it?  Hiking is on the agenda.

Chet, while walking out of the canyon we voted on whether to do the South Coyote Butte hike 3 days later, the motion missed passing by only 3 votes.  We left Kanab this morning and now at Pegs Camp in Camp Verde. 

Wendy sorry we are missing once again, and Q is out, logistics etc too tough to do. 

Betty Brewer said:
We plan to  be in Anza Borrego the week before Quartzsite.  We "think"  Pat and Jim will be joining us and Jerry and Ardra. Sounds like we could make a rally of it?  Hiking is on the agenda.

Betty,

We are hoping we will be there. Still need to decide what to do with the shoulder. Decision should be made shortly but I REALLY want to do the hike Terry & I have done in the past!!!

Today we stopped briefly at Page, AZ to photograph the Horseshoe Bend of the Colorado. After the short hike to the rim I was very happy we did not do the lower Coyote Buttes!!!

Attachments

• Horseshoe Bend_Page.jpg
    Horseshoe Bend_Page.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 42
      Getting older tends to change your thinking doesn't it?    That hike is a tough one unless you are in your 20's or 30's.

Ron,

It certainly does but I'm determined to keep on trucking like you. I just hope I can last as long!!!  ;D ;D

Back
Top Bottom