Which Brand to Choose and Avoid??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

moon

I bought my first RV in May (93 Bounder).  The intent was to buy an older unit so if we found it was not for us we would not lose a lot of money.

After a short 4 months we have decided we LOVE Rving and will be using our motorhome very often.  As a result we have decided it will be worth it to us to by a newer model.  We will be using our motorhome for several trips a year ranging 180-400 miles.

Can anyone please tell me if there are any makes/models to stay away from?

Any must have features?

Min. size for generator?

Min. size for engine?

Good Luck,
Moon

Moon

We have a few checklists in our library that might help. Click the Library button above, select Checklists, then click List of desirable motorhome features. Also try Buying a used motorhome.

Engine size will vary by size and weight of motorhome.

Minimum generator size will be determined by what you need to run. Most gas class A coaches have a minimum 6KW generator, which will run two air conditionners. Larger diesel coaches might have a 10KW or larger generator, capable of running more things at the same timer.

The 93 Bounder is a good coach so I wouldn't get in too big of hurry to change.  Take you time and shop around to see what is available.  If it were me I would stay away from any Thor product. 

As Tom suggested look at some of the threads here on the forum to get some ideas of what you might want.

Thanks so much for your input fellows. 

I do have reservations with parting with my '93 because not only have I fallen in love with in 4 short months, I know it is a mechanically sound unit in great condition.  My big fear is the nickel and dimbing that will come from an older unit regardless of how well kept.  New generator down the road, replacing the awining eventually, replacing lp gas sooner than later eventually, etc........

I have put about $3000 into it at this point (new shocks, stableizer bar, motor for elec. steps, replace rotted gas lines) and fear this will continue.  BTW: when it comes to handy work I am not the brightest star in the sky.....:)

Any further input would be appreciated.

Good Luck,
Moon

Moon,

One last resources not mentioned to be looked at along with the others is the RV Consumers Group at www.rv.org.

They have their opinions, but their specs are straight from the manufacturer's literature. If they change it on the line, it's too late for their Rating Book on new RV's of all types.

Back
Top Bottom