Which MH can tow a minivan behind

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
captsteve said:
Most class C are limited to 2500 lbs. Max tow weight. (not all)
My finding is many class Cs are 3500 lb max tow, not 2500.  Look for an E450 chassis.  My Coachmen was 3500 lbs, but the mfg said it could handle 5000 lb with a class IV hitch.  The only problem I ran into was finding a bolt-on 5000 lb hitch so I reinforced the 3500 lb hitch.  I needed to tow about 3800 lb.  You will still have to stay within the combined weight rating of the MH (typically 20,000 lb with E450).

Another question is: Can your minivan be towed 4-down?  Better check your mfg recommendations.  Many front-wheel drive automatics have serious limitations unless you're looking at a tow dolly.

Gordon

Gordon Groff said:
Another question is: Can your minivan be towed 4-down?  Better check your mfg recommendations.  Many front-wheel drive automatics have serious limitations unless you're looking at a tow dolly.

Gordon

For example: Dodge Caravans cannot be towed 4 down, at least  from 2003 models through to 2010 models, according to Dodge. This does not take into account the possible addition of pumps etc should they be available.

What you can tow gets kind of complex but the first question you need to answer is can that mini-van be towed 4-down..  If it can (even if you need to make a modification) than at 3,000 pounds most any motor home can likely tow it, Most class A's can tow, depending on several other things, up to 5,000 pounds.

HOWEVER that said,,,, I will use my motor home as the example.

My RV has a maximum COMBINED weight rating of 26,000 pounds. Now It tips the scales at around 22,000 on it's own, so that leaves me 4,000 for the towed.

Check the sticker, Max combined -Max GVW you can safely tow  If your loaded GVW is less than max, then you can tow more, up to the rating of your hitch.

NOTE that if you need to use a drop/rise hitch adapter or any kind of hitch extension, this LOWERS the hitch rating...... big time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilkid2025
Back
Top Bottom