Which pick up should I buy for towing big fifth wheel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oldgator73 said:
I was under the impression these junior tractors were built specifically as a luxury hauler for 5 wheels, big horse haulers, etc.

You are correct they are built for the BIG luxury 5ers the triple and quad 20000/25000 lb and up units with pin weights of 4000lbs not a little 14000lb 5er with a pin of 3000 lbs and super weight distribution. While not quite "1/2 ton towable" class .

A good comparison is
Colorado for lightweights
1/2 Ton for Urban cowboys
3/4 Ton for weekend warriors
1Ton for serious towing and duallys for that extra touch or weight and or safety before serious class jump
Then you get the 4500 and 5500 series Kodiaks for towtrucks,landscapers,small 3or 4 car carriers (this is where the fl60 or sportrucks or summits series frieghtshakers fall in )
Then you have the big boys and they have another 10 classes from 30,000 lbs to 500,000 lbs

One of my customers has an Fl60 for sale Cat powered 100000 miles when not used stored inside in MINT condition offered it to me at an absolute steel of deal. Overkill for what i need my little dually f350 has a payload of 5100lbs and can tow 30000lbs i will never own a trailer bigger than that Neil McKinnon who owns the Fl 60 was pulling a 2 car race trailer stacker with living quarters a $250 ,000 unit

Okay, all of you on this forum that have said many, many times ?You can never have too much truck?. What say you about this discussion about the FL?s. What if you purchase a 14k or 16k trailer and purchase a 1 ton to pull it. Then you decide that what you really want is that 25k-30k big honker of a 5th wheel. Many of you would tell the guy ?Should have bought a bigger truck to begin with?.

Oldgator73 said:
Okay, all of you on this forum that have said many, many times ?You can never have too much truck?. What say you about this discussion about the FL?s. What if you purchase a 14k or 16k trailer and purchase a 1 ton to pull it. Then you decide that what you really want is that 25k-30k big honker of a 5th wheel. Many of you would tell the guy ?Should have bought a bigger truck to begin with?.

The biggest issue with this scenario is cost! - im looking at a new 45ft triple axle toy hauler about $100,000 cdn (sticker price about 60k  usd) to move up anymore to where a sportchassis is needed i would need to invest about another $100,000k if buying new. So yes there is always the what if. And to be fair my first truck was a 1/2 ton because all i had was a, little pop up tent trailer and tiny kids (that was a loooooong time ago lol)

Oldgator73 said:

If they actually had a reason that made even a slight bit of sense I might listen to them.  But a truck frame flexing when a fifth wheel is attached?  The weight is right above the axle!  How much frame flexing do they think occurs on a 1 ton truck in the 3' of space between the ends of leaf springs?  And an air suspension being a "solid link" to the ground?  And the size of the wheels and tires?  Better go Class C over Class A to get those smaller wheels and tires!  /sarc

The bigger issue is that Freightliner apparently no longer makes the model in a Class 5.  So if you want to buy new it's probably a moot discussion.

steveblonde said:
The biggest issue with this scenario is cost!

That I would agree with, which is why when I posted the link I said if money was no object.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
I think Freightliner still makes the M2 cutaway chassis, which companies like Sportchassis make into "pick-up-like" medium duty haulers.

I was working off the Freightliner site, where it says that model is Class 6-8.  I was also trying to find some specs and their site is really bad in that regard, so maybe the site just bad getting the class information too.  Ditto the Peterbilt, but in fairness even Ford doesn't make finding their spec page easy--once I find it for a model year I bookmark it.

https://www.ford.com/commercial-trucks/f650-f750/features/capability/

https://www.ford.ca/cmslibs/content/dam/brand_ford/en_ca/brand/owners/guides-and-manuals/pdf/2020%20Ford%20RV%26TTGuide%20EN%20AODA.pdf

I have a 41? 3 slide toy hauler and I just upgraded from a single wheel Ford to a Ram 3500 Dually.

BobbyP71 said:
I have a 41? 3 slide toy hauler and I just upgraded from a single wheel Ford to a Ram 3500 Dually.
  I applaud your choice. Of course I'm driving one also............ :)) :))

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlie13
Back
Top Bottom