Which shade canopy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mkevenson

I have been reading reviews of 10'x10' easy up shade canopy's. I am surprised at the comments " pinholes in material" I am looking for a quality canopy, vented, for wind protection and rain proof or water proof. I need one that can be put up by one person. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

SANTA FE SPRINGS, Calif., March 24, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- Leader in instant canopies, Quik Shade has just launched its most versatile and easy-to-use canopy yet. Lightweight, portable, and sturdy, the SOLO LT series is designed for one-person set up.

A single user can extend the canopy to full size with minimal effort, within seconds and without any assistance.

Clam. It is hands down the best shelter we have used in 30 years. Most people can pop it upon 5 minutes (it is tall so I need a minute or two more). It has removable rain/wind sides that actually work. We had had it in some big winds, but you do need to stake it plus use the guy lines in that case. The only disadvantage is that it folds up pretty long so you have to have a long storage bin to put it in. When we had a TT, it stayed in the back of the truck.

I've had quite a few canopies over the years, and seen dozens more. There are lots of brands, but I can recommend a few features that I've found are very valuable.

1. Straight legs. The angled leg ones are pretty common, but you lose a bit of shelter space, and they are tough to integrate into your camp - the legs are always in the way. Straight legged ones maximize shade/shelter, can be easily placed together for a larger covered area and can go tight to a wall/RV/fence.

2. Double-layer cover. You may have to look a bit harder for this, but it's REALLY nice. Most single layer ones, especially white, don't cut the heat of the sun very well. The ones I have now (sorry, can't remember the brand, but I got them at Dick's Sporting Goods) have a colored top layer, and a "silver" inner layer. On a hot day, this makes a NOTICIBLE difference in cooling. Much better shade. I wouldn't have a single layer one now.

3. Integrated tie-downs. Having the tiedown guy lines attached to a sewn-in loop at each corner of the cover makes it easier to securely stake down the canopy, and will resist much stronger winds than just staking the legs. In fact, if I'm expecting weather, I use small ratchet straps, wrapped around the entire corner of the frame, and staked out at an angle. Mine have successfully survived 50 mph winds with this setup!

Good luck.

JP&Karen, thanks for those valuable suggestions. I agree with straight legs. Have never had a double layered top but your point is well taken. I used to stake (tie) the 4 corners to a 5 gal bucket of water but have switched to a single central tie down attached to the frame inside center and secured to a screw in stake directly under the middle of the frame. The video is titled, EZ-UP tie down hack.

My current EZ-UP has a vented top and I "think" it has helped in high wind situations? I am not sure based on reviews of other canopies, non-vented, surviving high wind situations. Camping in the Rocky's , frequently brings afternoon rain and plenty of wind !
I may buy another EZ-UP vented Patriot, but they are out of stock so looking for other brands. I have a Dicks sporting goods close buy so may drive over and take a look at their stock.

Thanks again for your reply.

Mark

Thanks all for your input. After much research I have ordered a 10x10 straight leg, vented, canopy from ABC Canopy. I believe it fills all my boxes and was, like new, from Amazon with a significant discount.

Mark

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom