Which toad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smoky

Now that our land is sold and we pretty much figured out what motorhome to buy, we are revisiting the toad issue.

Which toad should I look at that would give me a reliable but cost effective solution?  Any problem with looking at used?  I am impressed by the Jeep Liberty, but want other suggestions.

Would it be ridiculous to try to find a good used toad at $10,000?

I have a Ford Taurus that I owe $14,000 on.  Would I be better off keeping it and having Remco modify the axle and tow it instead?

Hi Smoky,

Personnaly if I were buying a toad I would not even consider one that has to be modified, other than mounting baseplate for hitch and wiring of lights, but that is just my opinion.  The Darrigos have a Jeep liberty and they seem to like it.  It does do real good on the off road trails.  Jeep cherokees make good toads too.  If you buy a jeep liberty or cherokee make sure it is 4wd since the 2wd/s cannot be towed on all four.  Yea there are some 2wd jeeps.

As for price I have no idea what used car prices are anymore.

We have a Chevy Tracker (aka Suzuki Grand Vitara) and like that a lot, but I am really impressed with the Jeep Liberty. A friend bought one for his toad when they first came out and we have had several opportunities to ride in it for some distance. IGood ride quality, quiet, very capable vehicle and (I think) nice looking as well.

As for modifying your Taurus, it's pretty much a personal choice.  You are going to invest something like $1000 in the towing conversion plus the cost of the base plates custom-designed for that vehicle and installation labor for lights and such. Everything else you spend on towing gear should be movable to another vehicle if you decide to change later.  So probably what you "lose" by altering the Taurus is about what you would "lose" by trading for another vehicle.

Personally I would probably trade, but if you like the Taurus and want to keep it, go right ahead. No real reason not to, that I can think of.

Smoky said:
we are revisiting the toad issue.

Smoky,

Four wheel drive will allow you to do some off road exploring.

A vehicle that can be towed without modification will make your life easier.  I would vote for the Jeep or something similar.

Phil

Phil

If Smoky buys the Jeep he'll also have a place to store the ironing board. I know it would fit in the Suburban (a 4'x8' sheet of plywood fits). Hey Ron, any chance you could measure the inside of your Jeep?

Tom said:
If Smoky buys the Jeep he'll also have a place to store the ironing board.

I can see it now, Tom.  The Admiral sitting in the Jeep and doing the ironing.  ;D

ROTFL Phil. More likely to be Smoky in the dog house in the back of the Jeep.

Tom said:
Phil

If Smoky buys the Jeep he'll also have a place to store the ironing board. I know it would fit in the Suburban (a 4'x8' sheet of plywood fits). Hey Ron, any chance you could measure the inside of your Jeep?

Could aways get one of those ski carriers that go on top to put on the Jeep and carry the iorning board in there.  Iron would probably fit too.
;D

Not a bad idea Ron unless, of course, he wants to take the skis along.

ROFLMAO!

You guys are too much!  The Admiral is actually smiling after reading these messages.  This is a very good sign.

Truth is it might be me you see locked in the jeep doing the ironing.  :eek:

Well if we can justify the expense we might trade for a vehicle that can be towed without mods.  However, with what we still owe on the Taurus it might prove to be a horrible financial decision.  Whatever we decide it will be without debt.  We are getting rid of all our debts. 

I will keep playing with the numbers as we would love to join you folks on some off road expeditions in our finely pressed jeans. 

[Which toad should I look at that would give me a reliable but cost effective solution?

We like our GMC Envoy.? It holds 4? passengers easily and it acts as an extra bay for us.? It holds our chairs, cooler and a host of souvenirs for transport. Consider the storage capacity of a toad as well as cost and towability. It also does 4 wheel drives well, even in tight places.? PLUS it has heated seats which might act? as a pressing device for your jeans!

Betty

Smoky said:
Well said Ron, well said.

Our whole reason for going fulltime is so that we can follow the perpetual 70 degree line.

That is a very good plan.

ANother thing I might mention if you get a 99 jeep Grand Cherokee limited or newer make sure it has Quadra Drive if you plan to go of roading.  Best thing going in stock 4wd.  Don't get Quadra Drive mixed up with Quadra Track.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom