Which Verizon cell phone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smoky

I need suggestions on which Verizon phone to upgrade to in order to access the national enhanced service and use the Internet.  I don't need a lot of bells and whistles like cameras etc, though they might be nice if the price is right.

I just cannot understand all the fancy lingo on the Yahoo net and am looking for some simple help here.

There are a lot of verizon users here so I'm sure they will be able to help you.  We sill have our 5 or 6 year old ATT Nokia 6162 so can't be much help. 

Smoky said:
I need suggestions on which Verizon phone to upgrade to in order to access the national enhanced service and use the Internet.? I don't need a lot of bells and whistles like cameras etc, though they might be nice if the price is right.

I just cannot understand all the fancy lingo on the Yahoo net and am looking for some simple help here.

Smoky,
As I said, I have the LG VX6100 but it is not the only model that works. It has the camera, which I never use, but the price was right. As far as other models, if you  check to see which models they make the Mobile Office Kit for, you can get a list and get the phone you want. I know they also have a kit for the VX4400 but there are several other makes and models too. More info at this website:  http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/mobileoptions/mobileoffice/mobileoffice1.jsp

The kit consists of a phone to USB port conection wire and a CD with the software. Follow the directions and you're in.

Besides the LGVX6100, the only ones with the Office Connect sftw. are the Samsung A650 and A670. This info is from Verizon tech support, and was current as of about a week ago. He said he knew of no plans to make it available for other phones. I too have a DirecWay dish, but it's not always practical to set it up - unlike those who have Datastorm units. Then I go to the cell phone (Motorola T-720) with Office Connect, but coverage is spotty or non-existent in some areas. Even though you can usually make a voice call, you need to be on a Verizon tower to access the Internet. Check the less-than-perfect coverage maps to see if you can use it in the area you plan on spending the most time and check other vendors also - like Cingular and others. Other members can telll you their experience with other providers/phones.

Smoky said:
What speed do you get with the LGVX6100 using Office Connect?

I don't think you will get any difference in speed between the different phones using the same system. Speed is system and reception dependant, not handset dependant.

But everything else being equal, you could figure on usually getting about a little faster average speeds than land line dial up. You could find data downloads up to 2-3 times faster than dial up.

Smokey,

I have the  Motorola V265 on Verizon. Bought the Mobil Office Kit at Radio Shack but they are available on line cheaper.

Have you checked into the "internet by cell phone" group on Yahoo? Go to the files section and download the tutorial for which ever provider you want to use. There is one for Verizon, Sprint and Cingular.

I went with Verizon because our daughter is on Verizon so we get all the free Verizon to Verizon time. Plus free time to talk to any Framily members who are also on Verizon.

Followed the tutorial to the letter and didn't have any problems hooking up.

Smokey,

I just switched to Verizon two days ago and have a Samsung A-650 phone and MOK from Verizon, I set it up just like Don said and it works great on my laptop, had a small problem getting it setup on my wifes laptop but it finally works there also. The A-650 cost $39.95 and paid $40.00 for the MOK. No camera but it does all sorts of other good things and seems to work great with good signal in areas I was having a problem with my old AT&T phone.

Verizon's list of "National Access" compatible phones and PC Cards is here...  National Access
Not all of these models are currently available direct from Verizon, but most can be purchased elsewhere.

Speeds on NA are a max of 114 kbps but typically are less, around 60-80 kbps unless several other data users are competing for the same cell tower. Since the total data speed is shared among all users, your individual speed can drop dramatically when several nearby users are on simultaneously.

Smokey,
Me again...
I just upgraded to a National Access plan and asked for the most inexpensive phone that would allow me internet access. They recommended the LG-3200 and a mobile office kit. The phone was $20 with the service and the kit was $40 and included a cable and some software. I've used it a couple of times to try it and it was pretty simple. I don't ask my TV to mow my grass so I wasn't interested in taking pictures or playing games on my phone. I'm pretty happy with it thus far

James Godward said:
jerryarlyne said:
I just switched to Verizon two days ago

Jerry,

Are you on the "IN" plan??? I think most of us on the forum are!? VBG

Jim

Hi Jim,
Yes I am, or so they told me. I have tried the phone once from home with the mobile office kit and it worked great. Now I have to wait till the laptop comes back from repair before I can try it out again.
BTW, the # is the same.
Jerry

Jerry and Quasi  -  Am I correct in assuming that your method only uses your plan minutes and has no extra charges for internet time?  I.e. free if outside of prime time, and uses allowance minuted then paid minutes if in prime time?

Smoky,

You might want to check with your relatives in MT to make sure Verison will work there.  Verizon doesn't work at Sam's Camp the last I knew.

Smoky said:
Verizon works fine at our full service pad outside my sister in law near Kalispell,.? ?That is a strong Verizon area.

That is good. I just brought it up because some of the visiters at Sam's Camp couldn't use Verizon there.

Smoky,
That's correct. I get charged airtime for minutes used just as if it were a normal call. If I call during my "free" times, nights and weekends, it doesn't use airtime minutes from my plan.
Quasi

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom