Which WD system has "safe" brackets?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hacksaw

Hi All.? My first post here.? My husband and I just switched TT, from a heavy Prowler to a 24' UltraLite Shasta Capri.? We went? ultralite so we wouldn't have to upgrade our TV.? We currently tow with a Ford F150 V8, plenty of power, but from experience with the heavier Prowler, it didn't do the job on Pacific NW "hills". lol.

We sold the Prowler (even though we loved the floorplan and room) and forgot to take the WD brackets off before we sold it.? The temporary "brackets" which were fitted on the new trailer by the dealer were mismatched; just enough to get us home from the dealer's lot.? Anyway, we need to buy a new weight distribution hitch, etc., because we now need an adjustable hitch.

Since we now have an ultralite, we think we can buy a "cheaper" WD system than we had before, but worry about the brackets.? One of the temporary ones actually popped off it's mount and almost took off my hubby's finger - so we definitely want some "safe brackets".? Some that have a nice strong pin to keep the chain in place while Hubby secures them.

We are thinking of the Putnam or Curt WD system - but we live in rural Arkansas and there are no dealers anywhere near to check them out.

So, I'm asking if any of you have the Putnam or Curt systems, and if you feel they are safe when working with them?? Sorry for the long post, and really appreciate the info I've found on this forum.? Even though we're not "newbies", it's always nice to refresh and get new ideas.? Thanks in advance for any responses.

Or, if you have other suggestions, speak freely.

Putnam is a major manufacturer of hitches, but I don't have any personal experience with their products.  Have you used internet sources to review their WD hitch models, specs, etc?  Maybe even a picture that would show the brackets for the spring bar chains?

Since we now have an ultralite, we think we can buy a "cheaper" WD system than we had before, but worry about the brackets.  One of the temporary ones actually popped off it's mount and almost took off my hubby's finger - so we definitely want some "safe brackets".  Some that have a nice strong pin to keep the chain in place while Hubby secures them.

What is the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of your new trailer?  What is its tongue weight?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom