Who else loves winter camping?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sportsdad

It's truly my favorite time to camp. Skiing, then a nice warm motor home to have some hot food, watch a movie, and sleep after a hard day of snow skiing!

Video of a snow storm that hit while we were snow camping at Steven's Pass Ski Area last December:

Snow Camping

Heh, quite a video there showing the "finer parts" of winter camping.  ;)  The warm motorhome part sounds cozy, I'll just hang out there all day while everyone else hits the slopes!

Don't you burn through the propane awfully fast?

We love winter camping, of course our winters are not like yours.  By the way what is snow  ???

scottydl said:
Heh, quite a video there showing the "finer parts" of winter camping.  ;)  The warm motorhome part sounds cozy, I'll just hang out there all day while everyone else hits the slopes!

Don't you burn through the propane awfully fast?
Not at all. We carry two porcelin stand up heaters. The ski areas have hook ups for the RV skiers. One porcelin heater goes into the shower, and we hang our wet coats, boots, etc on a curtain rod installed in the top of the shower, then just turn on the heater. Clothes are dry in about 1 hour!
The 2nd porcelin heater keeps the coach cozy. The furnace only kicks on once in a while during the evening. Our last 3 day snow camp trip, we used about 3 gallons of propane (9 gallon tank) ;D

"Who else loves winter camping? "

We love winter camping ------ in Arizona and in southern California.  ;D

I'm with Wendy. We've had two unplanned "winter RVing" experiences, and would prefer to stay in the west/southwest during the winter.

The first picture was taken while in transit at Las Cruces, NM when we unexpectedly awoke to snow. The other pics were taken in our son's driveway in Florence, northern KY. We'd planned to stay for the arrival of our grandson but, after a week of repeatedly blowing fuses in their garage and running out of propane, we left before the next storm and said "bring the grandson to us". They did.

Attachments

• snow_burb_coach.jpg
    snow_burb_coach.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 57
  • driveway.jpg
    driveway.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 74
  • Icy.jpg
    Icy.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 68
Unfortunately that is the way our MH looks every winter. I go out and clean the snow off the roof, get rid of the icicles (MH tears :'() give it some exercise once a month (when no snow or salt on the ground) and tell it how many months left of snow. It wants to be owned by someone that lives or relocates to a warmer climate in the winter. It's so sad but I don't do winter camping and neither does the MH, we just wait for it to pass or go when there are breaks (surprise indian summers ;D).

Sportsdad said:
It's truly my favorite time to camp. Skiing, then a nice warm motor home to have some hot food, watch a movie, and sleep after a hard day of snow skiing!

Snow = Skiing = FUN!!!   I live in the Northeast and want to do just that.  I'd love to take the RV to various ski resorts.  I have never really heard or paid much attention to other RV's when I have been there.  I posted a thread in the other forum, but I'd love to hear about anyone in the NY, PA, VT, or NH area and ski resorts that cater to RV's.  What are these porcelain heaters you refer to?  Are they electric?  Do you run your gen for the duration?

We've talked about it... maybe we will try it, but like the last posting, we are kinda worried about water freezing in the plumbing system, holding tanks, etc and maybe running out of propane.  Some of the ski areas in Colo get down to 10-20 below zero at night which would freeze anything that is not protected in some way.  How do we determine if the holding tanks are heated, for instance?  It would be a great way to go skiing, like you said in the OP.  thanks for posting.

Living in Taos, you could practice winter camping in your own backyard. If it gets too cold or you run out of propane, you could run to the house :)

Wendy

Wendy said:
Living in Taos, you could practice winter camping in your own backyard. If it gets too cold or you run out of propane, you could run to the house :)

Wendy

I know, LOL. but we have talked about going to other places in the winter to ski.  Taos Ski Valley is a great place to ski, 12 miles away, so it's not urgent.  We get "free" skiing for  a few days at several Colo areas with our Taos Pass, like Durango so maybe we will try Durango first?  I think they have a MH parking area and there are RV parks in town.  Nice to hear from you.

We did some winter camping this past October.  We are now winter camping in FL.  Back when we were in RI and with a TC club, they had a get away in VT every Feb.  Always wanted to paticipate, but never did.  My main concern was road condition going to and coming back. 

We're ski campers too.  We usually pick a base and drive to the ski area, but one winter we visited ski areas in Colorado that had an RV park open for the winter: Aspen (Basalt), Breckenridge, Steamboat Springs.  Some of the areas, such as Vail and Copper Mt. allow overnight parking, but don't have any hookups.  Winter camping is much easier with electricity.

This coming season we'll be in Bend, Oregon skiing at Mt. Bachelor.

Jeannine

PancakeBill said:
We did some winter camping this past October.  We are now winter camping in FL.  Back when we were in RI and with a TC club, they had a get away in VT every Feb.  Always wanted to paticipate, but never did.  My main concern was road condition going to and coming back. 

Ah, road conditions... another major concern.  Thanks for reminding us.  I have no idea what it's like to drive a MH on a snowy mountain road.  I've only driven AWD/4WD vehicles on snowy, mountain roads and even then, it's treacherous, especially when there is heavy traffic.  Rear wheel drive, even with the engine over the drive wheels... ???  I saw tire chains on sale at the Freightliner shop in Farmington but everytime I try to visualize me installing chains on 22.5" tires, I get nervous to say the least.  Fortunately, if the roads are dangerous, we could wait it out and leave when conditions improve since we don't have a hard schedule. 

BTW: the GS emergency road service does not cover getting stuck in snow--- I don't know about the other plans.

I would go to Montana, in Feb to work. Hope I never have to do that again. My coach did well, as I bought some 2 inch thick styrofoam panels and isolated the holding tanks, etc.  Ernie- installing flooring in a coach, Norco, Ca

And then there's accidental winter camping  ;D

Wendy

Attachments

• CEZ10-09.jpg
    CEZ10-09.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 77
Snow, Snow  ??? OH! Now I remember what that is. Last time I touched and had to shovel some was back in maybe Feb. 99.
Retired that Oct. and headed south. I haven't missed any of that cold experience since.
In fact haven't been where the temperature has been below 33 degrees in over 10 years(now on 11th winter) and plan to keep it that way.

I Love winter camping here in FL. with the AC running.  ;D
And the women have on less clothes here, then those on the ski slopes.  8)

I left this Snow behind

For some Sun Shine

Wendy said:

Wendy

Guess what?  It's not even winter yet and we have a "winter storm warning".  See pics below.  This is our driveway and it's already below 20 deg F.

Attachments

• IMG_2219 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_2219 (Medium).JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_2218 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_2218 (Medium).JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 42
taoshum said:
Guess what?  It's not even winter yet and we have a "winter storm warning".  See pics below.  This is our driveway and it's already below 20 deg F.
We've had over 2 ft of snow at our favorite ski area in the last week. This appears to be shaping up to be a good year for skiing!

Our first trip this winter (after my recent Cab-over rebuild project, will be out to the Washington coast for some Clam digging in Dec. Hoping to get up around Christmas for skiing!

Back
Top Bottom