Who Pays For Damage To Personal Property Damaged By Police

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djw2112

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 30, 2018
Posts
1,014
Location
East Texas
On Live PD the police chased someone onto private property and into their back yard with their vehicles.  The police vehicles damanged a fence and also left huge tire tracks in the yard.

Who pays for damange to private property, the city?

 

RVMommaTo6

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 5, 2018
Posts
2,139
Location
Rochester, NY
Hmmmm, good question, I would assume the private citizen. I had an officer allow someone to break into my home (he said he lived here, he didn't) by breaking down a door. The officer watched the whole thing while I called 911 from inside. I was never offered compensation.
 

Gizmo100

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 28, 2018
Posts
3,029
RVMommaTo6 said:
Hmmmm, good question, I would assume the private citizen. I had an officer allow someone to break into my home (he said he lived here, he didn't) by breaking down a door. The officer watched the whole thing while I called 911 from inside. I was never offered compensation.

The "Someone" did all the damage not the officer...So a little different...Please tell me said officer at least caught/arrested the suspect.

I believe most cities have liability insurance to cover damages to private property.
 

RVMommaTo6

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 5, 2018
Posts
2,139
Location
Rochester, NY
Gizmo100 said:
The "Someone" did all the damage not the officer...So a little different...Please tell me said officer at least caught/arrested the suspect.

I believe most cities have liability insurance to cover damages to private property.
I didn't have any "proof" that he didn't live here, so the asked him of he would be willing to just not come back, which he agreed to (BECAUSE HE DIDN'T LIVE HERE) and they left. I had to go try to press charges in court on my own, which was a whole other long ridiculous story, thanks to said officer not wanting to be wrong.
 

Gizmo100

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 28, 2018
Posts
3,029
RVMommaTo6 said:
I didn't have any "proof" that he didn't live here, so the asked him of he would be willing to just not come back, which he agreed to (BECAUSE HE DIDN'T LIVE HERE) and they left. I had to go try to press charges in court on my own, which was a whole other long ridiculous story, thanks to said officer not wanting to be wrong.

That is messed up....And just how do you prove someone doesn't live in you home.

 

Arch Hoagland

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 11, 2014
Posts
4,029
Location
Clovis California
I owned a rental in Salinas, CA that the police broke into through the front door. They tore out all the furnace registers, etc looking for drugs. The renter and his wife wound up in prison.  I was pretty surprised to say the least, they were a nice couple and had a one year old baby.

The city repaired all the damage they did within 24 hours.  They have a tool that spreads the door frame wide apart so they could enter. Pretty amazing.

 

SargeW

Site Team
Joined
Dec 12, 2008
Posts
8,266
Location
Where ever we park it!
That is usually the case with most municipalities. Sometimes you have to force their hand, and even threaten litigation. Some smaller cities will try to blow you off if they can get away with it.
 

John From Detroit

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 12, 2005
Posts
26,281
Location
Davison Michigan
The answer may well depend on how good your. or your insurance company's lawyer is.

Beyond that ... IT may also depend on where you live.

I know I'd be sending them the bill..  But I'd also not be holding my breath.
 

RVMommaTo6

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 5, 2018
Posts
2,139
Location
Rochester, NY
Gizmo100 said:
That is messed up....And just how do you prove someone doesn't live in you home.
That's what I said!!! How do I prove he doesn't live here?! How about ask the 7 people that DO live here and see what they all say? How about ask the neighbors? But I don't keep a list of people who DON'T live here to show them lol soooooooo messed up
 

Oldgator73

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2017
Posts
4,370
Location
Dover, DE & Mouth of Wilson, VA
RVMommaTo6 said:
That's what I said!!! How do I prove he doesn't live here?! How about ask the 7 people that DO live here and see what they all say? How about ask the neighbors? But I don't keep a list of people who DON'T live here to show them lol soooooooo messed up

After reading this I took photos of the folks that live in our house, framed them and attached to the front door. I added a sign that says ?If your photo is not displayed you don?t live here?. But I am still concerned that someone can just say they weren?t here on picture day.
 

RVMommaTo6

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 5, 2018
Posts
2,139
Location
Rochester, NY
Oldgator73 said:
After reading this I took photos of the folks that live in our house, framed them and attached to the front door. I added a sign that says ?If your photo is not displayed you don?t live here?. But I am still concerned that someone can just say they weren?t here on picture day.
Lol lol, I look back now and I could have just showed them family photos. I wasn't thinking because my house had just been broken into AND I had injuries from it and I was so overwhelmed and terrified. I would handle it differently if it were to happen again today. (It won't happen again, I've studied the laws and my rights and am FULLY prepared to defend myself, my family, and my property should anyone ever try to do that again.)
 

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
Joined
Feb 2, 2005
Posts
76,153
Location
West Palm Beach, FL
Best answer to the original question is to file a claim with your home insurer and let them sort it out.  Otherwise, file a damage claim with the municipality but expect a lot of bureaucratic procedure and maybe even outright stone-walling.  Ultimately there is no question that the police dept (city) is responsible for any damage they do, but nowhere is it written that it will be easy or quick to collect.

You will need to submit repair cost estimates for the damage, either from contractors or your insurance adjuster.



RVMomma's issue is entirely different - it is essentially a claim of police negligence (improper procedure).  If a determination of negligence is made, then no doubt a settlement would be offered. If not, then you would have to sue for damages in civil court.
 

Gizmo100

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 28, 2018
Posts
3,029
Oldgator73 said:
After reading this I took photos of the folks that live in our house, framed them and attached to the front door. I added a sign that says ?If your photo is not displayed you don?t live here?. But I am still concerned that someone can just say they weren?t here on picture day.

Your wife updated the sign ;D ;D ;D
 

Attachments

  • No Gators.jpg
    No Gators.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 2

Oldgator73

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2017
Posts
4,370
Location
Dover, DE & Mouth of Wilson, VA
Gizmo100 said:
Your wife updated the sign ;D ;D ;D

Now you?ve done it. That gator picture is copyrighted so I am now obligated to bring suit against you and yours. We can settle this amicably if you just send me everything you possess that has monetary value. Including cash. 8)
 

Gizmo100

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 28, 2018
Posts
3,029
Oldgator73 said:
Now you?ve done it. That gator picture is copyrighted so I am now obligated to bring suit against you and yours. We can settle this amicably if you just send me everything you possess that has monetary value. Including cash. 8)

I have consulted with our lawyers and we are willing to make a counter offer.

I will be willing to send the most valuable thing in our home.....The dog.

Or
If you insist on holding out for everything...Then I must remind you per the following link

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,118788.msg1081865.html#msg1081865

We are family...Therefore I am simply hanging on to my future inheritance.

By the way that check you sent...You remember the 3 party...out of state....post dated check...BOUNCED ;D ;D ;D
 

Oldgator73

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2017
Posts
4,370
Location
Dover, DE & Mouth of Wilson, VA
Gizmo100 said:
I have consulted with our lawyers and we are willing to make a counter offer.

I will be willing to send the most valuable thing in our home.....The dog.

Or
If you insist on holding out for everything...Then I must remind you per the following link

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,118788.msg1081865.html#msg1081865

We are family...Therefore I am simply hanging on to my future inheritance.

By the way that check you sent...You remember the 3 party...out of state....post dated check...BOUNCED ;D ;D ;D

Is that a real photo of the dog? If so, I think I?ll try to negotiate a better deal. Sorry about the check. After I mailed it I realized that money was put aside for our 46th wedding anniversary trip. I?ll need a full financial report. You can mail to my attorney at:

Ima Cruk, Esq.
666 Youoweme Lane
Cayman Islands
Phone: BR549
 

Gizmo100

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 28, 2018
Posts
3,029
Oldgator73 said:
Is that a real photo of the dog? If so, I think I?ll try to negotiate a better deal. Sorry about the check. After I mailed it I realized that money was put aside for our 46th wedding anniversary trip. I?ll need a full financial report. You can mail to my attorney at:

Ima Cruk, Esq.
666 Youoweme Lane
Cayman Islands
Phone: BR549

What you don't like the dog??..This is not sitting well with the negotiation team.
Due to this set back we will be regrouping.
As per your request;
Personal property consisting of dog toys, food and bed.....Cost $100....Current value $2.29
Light Bill ($287.32) Phone bill ($112.50) Gas Bill ($38.52) Total -$438.34
Cash on hand- Yeah my wife just went to the market...There's no cash anymore!
Current Net worth..... -$436.05

All other properties, investments and other personal effects are in the name of my attorney...Ben D. Over ESQ. If you wish to contact him you may do so at the following address:
USP LEAVENWORTH
1300 Metropolitan Ave,
Leavenworth, KS 66048

You may also make contact though his former employer and current attorney:
Dewey, Screwem & Howel
#1 Yournotgettingadime lane
Podunk AL.
PH.1-800-GET-BENT
 
Top Bottom