Who’s used helper springs midsize SUV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PaulBates

I have a 2020 Ford with the factory tow package. I have a hard side popup that’s comfortably within GVRW provided by Ford for this particular model… 80%, as towed, of max
It tows perfectly.. plenty of power, no sway or other drivability problems

The hitch weight causes a little bit of sag as expected, wheel arch drops from 31 1/4” to 30”. Because the escape sits pitched high in the back from the factory, it looks flat, level, when hitched.

Issue: However, the hitch drops it enough that I have the “low beams looks like high beams to oncoming driver at night” issue. I want to push some weight forward. It’s a unibody, so I can’t have a WDH, and its probably too little weight to push forward for that anyway, maybe 50-75lbs.

I’m considering helper springs in the back to push some weight forward.

Question: Who’s used helper springs on a unibody with coil springs, which ones did you use and how much did it help?

Maybe this is normal and move on….

Back in the day, we would have used air shocks, as mentioned air bags might be a pretty inexpensive option. 2020 Ford Escape Suspension | RealTruck

edit: maybe some adjustable coil overs. Maybe also get on a Ford Escape forum and poke around.
Yep I've seen the air shocks too.. I might do that but inserts are simpler imo and hoped it had been tried. There's a great solution called sumo springs, they support other midsize SUVs, but not the escape 🤬.

I started out asking on the escape forum first, no material responses.

Thanks for those ideas I appreciate it

I had a leased 2017 escape for business, greatest little thing ever, for running around and short 150 - 200 mile trips its a comfortable COMPACT suv its no midside that for sure and no tow vehicle unless your pulling a utility trailer with a lawn mower on 2 times a year . But thats on you, if you are going to do it - try this.
Ps i loved mine so much i want another for a daily driver and a very rich friend of mine has a 2018 escape he uses as his daily car

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221006-063901_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221006-063901_Chrome.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
… and no tow vehicle unless your pulling a utility trailer with a lawn mower on 2 times a year . But thats on you, if you are going to do it
As stated, I’ve already done it, consulted Ford specs and dealer prior to buying it. Like any utility vehicle, it tows great within its factory specs, with the exception of the headlights pointing higher.

I don’t know what model Escape you had, but they are not all created equal. Most are rated 1500-2000lbs. The titanium or SEL with 2L and the factory tow package is rated at 3500lbs, which matches with a lightweight popup @ 2600lbs. The factory tow package offers multiple features beyond the hitch receiver itself.

The Helwig springs are great. Unlike air bags they spread the load across a larger area of the frame. You can adjust the ubolts so that when you are not towing and loaded you don't notice any additional stiffening of the suspension. There is an increased handling plus with steering, even though you say that you don't really have any problem in that area. They are easy to install.

I replaced the rubber mounts between the rear axle and the frame with a set of Timbren suspension enhancement mounts. If you get the right ones which just clear the axle, when you add weight they will stop much of the sag in the rear. When there is no load, the factory springs will give you a smooth ride.

As stated, I’ve already done it, consulted Ford specs and dealer prior to buying it. Like any utility vehicle, it tows great within its factory specs, with the exception of the headlights pointing higher.

I don’t know what model Escape you had, but they are not all created equal. Most are rated 1500-2000lbs. The titanium or SEL with 2L and the factory tow package is rated at 3500lbs, which matches with a lightweight popup @ 2600lbs. The factory tow package offers multiple features beyond the hitch receiver itself.
i work for Ford, towing capacity is one thing cargo capacity (weight of people, hitch weight, stuff in the car) is another, the car is designed to have a rake so that the rear is higher than the front do that when you load it, it becomes level. You need to look at the yellow decal inside the drivers door
On the b pillar to make sure you and all your stuff inside the car PLUS the weight of the pin hitch plus the weight of the weight distribution bars and the ball mount of the hitch does not exceed that "MAX CARGO CAPACITY" on that yellow decal, as i said i loved my escspe its a great compact suv the edge is also a compact/ midsize suv with the explorer being mid size and the expedition is full size

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom