Why I never even consider Camping world for parts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jymbee

Need to replace the city water connection on our coach. Decided to at least see what CW would charge as I could pick it up there rather than order online.

They don't have the type I need but in searching I did notice the price of what they did have compared to sites such as Amazon.

City water connection at CW (and save a whopping five bucks!)
City water connection on Amazon

Maybe there's something special about CW's that I'm just not seeing...

Camping World employees get an automatic 50% discount on everything in the store, which should give you an idea of their markup. When my tow bar failed just out of warranty the counter person took pity on me and offered to buy the replacement using his discount, then I would buy it from him. Saved 50% off of the shelf price.

I seriously considered working there for a few months just for the discount when I was thinking of building a camping trailer a few years back.

The one at CW you take home today
The one at amazon arrives tomorrow (Prime) or next week (Regular).
Also it's easier to return if it does not fit
Also ... well I won't rant about Amazon. I shop there too when I can't find it local.

I haven't bought anything at Camping World for years but we have always enjoyed walking around and window shopping in their stores. My friend recently traveled through Virginia on I81 and one of the Camping Worlds on I81 not only allows but encourages overnight parking. She stayed the night and also said she spend about an hour walking around in the store.

Last edited by a moderator:
Worth checking prices, give some consideration to convenience and availability. I shop based on those criteria.

The one at CW you take home today
The one at amazon arrives tomorrow (Prime) or next week (Regular).
Also it's easier to return if it does not fit
Also ... well I won't rant about Amazon. I shop there too when I can't find it local.
I wish, I have not received ANYTHING from Amazon Prime the next day in over a year, instead even with prime things are running 3-5 day or more here. A quick look through my last 10 Amazon Prime orders shows 2 that showed up in 2 days, most of the rest were 3 days, and a couple were 4-5 days.

I wish, I have not received ANYTHING from Amazon Prime the next day in over a year, instead even with prime things are running 3-5 day or more here. A quick look through my last 10 Amazon Prime orders shows 2 that showed up in 2 days, most of the rest were 3 days, and a couple were 4-5 days.
The last thing I received overnight from Prime was almost exactly a year ago(the day before thanksgiving, actually). I ordered a PD converter to replace one that crapped out. Everything since then has been taking longer. Thankfully, most things I've ordered since the converter haven't been as mission critical as my 12v power supply.

Hmmm I have been getting 1 or 2 day deliveries on everything I order from prime. There's a box just dropped on my porch right now that I ordered at 9 pm Tuesday night.

Dabrooks. I40 does not go anywhere in Virginia.

I have purchased exactly one item from CW and haven't shopped there since. Not a big fan.

That said, that item, and that trip to CW, marked the very start of our journey to a motorhome, and holds a place in my heart because of it.

We tent camped a LOT. We'd casually talked about RVs, but it never really went anywhere, as DW hadn't really "caught the bug" yet. I had, and had been starting to research a bit.

One Sunday morning, she happened to page through a CW catalog that came in the mail, and found a neat little folding leg aluminum camp table that would be perfect for our current tenting setup. She showed it to me, and a plan immediately hatched.

"Did you know there's a CW store not 10 miles from here?" says I. "Let's take a ride and see if they have it in stock." We found the table and browsed around a bit.

"Hey" I said, "we've got nothing better to do, why don't we take a walk around and peek in a few RVs?" Now, I'd previously scoped out the lot and knew a few rigs I wanted her to see, so right to them we went. First one she got in was a beautiful Navion. I'm telling you, one look around and she said "Oh wow, this is NICE! I can easily see us in something like this!"

From that moment the search was on. She caught the bug, just that quickly. The rest is happy history.

We still have that table and use it every trip.

I haven't bought anything at Camping World for years but we have always enjoyed walking around and window shopping in their stores. My friend recently traveled through Virginia on I40 and one of the Camping Worlds on I40 not only allows but encourages overnight parking. She stayed the night and also said she spend about an hour walking around in the store.
I live in Virginia and have been all over the state. I don't remember an I40 being in Virginia. There is an SR 40.

I have had good luck, service wise with the retail part of the business. The staff has always been friendly, even though you pay the price for certain items. Stocking retail and catering to a captive audience does come with an additional price tag. But if you need the part and do not wish to wait for online delivery these days, I call it the price of admission to the rv world.

I call it the price of admission to the rv world.
Reminiscent of the time I was looking for parts for a boat in a marina shop. Steps away from the boat needing parts, but OUCH! I expect that anyone who owns a boat or RV knows the game. :devilish:

Hmmm I have been getting 1 or 2 day deliveries on everything I order from prime. There's a box just dropped on my porch right now that I ordered at 9 pm Tuesday night.

Dabrooks. I40 does not go anywhere in Virginia.
Well it wasn't a typo it was a brain cramp. I meant I81.

Most of their stuff is cheap Camco junk. There are better options using a little research. Camco electrical???? NEVER EVER.

This is my personal opinion, research shows this opinion does not cause cancer, even in Calif.

Back
Top Bottom