Why Solar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Teach512

I own a 2008 Jamboree 26J. We spend most of our time in dry camp mode. Forest service land or BLM land. I am trying to decide what the advantage of adding solar panels would be.

From what I gather, they are just charging your batteries, which already get charged from the altenators. Why add solar?

Eman

Unless you are running your engine while you are dry camping, your alternator is not charging your batteries. Of course depending on what type batteries you have, long term wet cell batteries don't like repeated discharge. Solar is a no brainer for a trickle charge if nothing else.

How many nights do you dry camp in a row? If you spend several nights Ina row and do not move solar could help extend your dry time. If you spend a night and move the next morning, then solar would be a waste.

I own a 2008 Jamboree 26J. We spend most of our time in dry camp mode. Forest service land or BLM land. I am trying to decide what the advantage of adding solar panels would be.

From what I gather, they are just charging your batteries, which already get charged from the altenators. Why add solar?

Eman
As Donn mentions, it depends on how many days you are stationary. We are just completing three weeks in one spot. Don't have to use a noisy stinky generator, and our solar array is large enough that we can use the microwave and other modern conveniences.

You should also know that the charge you get from the alternator is very very small. It is a tiny wire that goes from the wiring harness to your batteries. That skimpy little wire doesn't provide a lot of charge.

One can use jumper cables between the vehicle battery and the batteries in your unit. Running the alternator then will give a substantial charge. But doing that is really only suitable for occasional or emergency use.

If you do any great amount of camping in zero service campgrounds or public lands, solar is the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom