Why the discrepancy? (long)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
RV Roamer said:
Apparently, Carl, he did not unhitch the trailer. The weight given would appear to be trailer axle weight with the king pin still resting on the truck. Since we don't know what either the truck or the trailer weighs by itself, we can't calculate all the weights or know if he is within the 12,500 lb tow rating (whether with ort without a safety margin).

Ratz!  I overlooked that part of his write up.    That instructor did him no favors at all.  When I weighed my rig, I had no problems with the weighmaster allowing an unhitching.    He should have insisted, looked for another scale that would allow an unhitching or simply brought the truck back alone and weighed it, both axles.  Subtracting that from the combined weight would have given him his trailer weight.

Hi all, 
Thanks for the input! 
The numbers you were looking for are as follows...
GVWR 9,400
FAWR 4,400
RAWR 6,100  It's a little chilly tonight, but I went out and checked the numbers, but couldn't find the gcvwr...I hope these help.
Thanks,
Pam

Oh, by the way, no water, full tank of gas and no propane on board when I weighed.  I will have time on the trip to stop and weigh...the difficult part will be the unhitching by myself. 
thanks again.
Pam

otrider said:
Hey, Me again,  I just re-read the responses to my initial questions.  I can and will take the truck down and weigh it.  That would be easy,  I can do that before I go. 
Thanks,
Pam

Good enough.  By the way, you are heading to FL from where?  Your route makes a difference.

OK, with a GAWR of 6100 and an actual drive axle weight of 5580, you are within limits. It will get pretty close when you add water & propane, but should be OK.

Given the truck's GVWR of 9400 lbs and a tow rating of at least 12,500, we can safely estimate that the GCWR is at least the sum of the two: 9400 + 12,500 = 21,900.  You are about 2400 lbs under that, so still should be OK after adding propane and some water. Water is heavy (8.3 lbs/gal), so don't carry more than you really need.  Ideally you should be 10% or so under the GCWR.

Given the truck's GVWR of 9400 lbs and a tow rating of at least 12,500, we can safely estimate that the GCWR is at least the sum of the two: 9400 + 12,500 = 21,900.

That's a little optimistic, Gary.  The Ford Towing Guide says the GCWR for a 4WD F250 V10 is 21,000 lbs.

Usually the "tow rating" assumes an unloaded truck, with only a 150 lb. driver.  Not one loaded to it's maximum GCWR.

If you're towing the maximum 12,500 lbs, the most the truck can weigh is 8500 lbs.  Otherwise you'll exceed the GCWR.

Hi, 
Well i didn't load any water for the ride down and I didn't eat much either.! Trailer is not loaded to the gills so I think I'm ok.  Never got the chance to weigh the truck alone...Will do that once I finally get settled for a few weeks.  I can't believe how hectic life got that last week before I left town.
I Had a few "adventures on my way, but nothing I couldn't manage with a little thought and relaxation to deal with the stress of I-4 traffic.  (Ohio to Florida...made the mistake of taking I-77 to I-95 then across I-4 to get to my semi-final destination near Clearwater) Now I'm headed back across the state via I-60 to Fort Pierce. 
Hope to see you somewhere and thank you personally.
Pam

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom