Why the entry door glass is not clear?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stan4o

I noticed that on many RVs and Trailers the glass on the entry door is not clear glass, not see trough... Why is that?
Can I change it to see through clear glass instead?

Thx.
Stan

Attachments

• IMG_0061 entrance door.JPG
    IMG_0061 entrance door.JPG
    207.6 KB · Views: 0
Just a security/privacy design so someone cannot walk up your steps and peek into the rv living space.

You should be able to easily change what's there by removing the existing and measuring. If you go with clear, you will need a shade to cover the window from the inside if you do not already have one.

Mine is clear but covered with a sun tint and I have a pulldown shade.

I guess the new clear glass should be tempered and laminated for safety.
Maybe the lamination can be done using a reflective, one way see trough film so one cannot see from outside in, but transparent from the inside to see what is in front of the door.
I want to be able to see who is knocking on my door...
Apparently it is called One way glass or a half-silvered mirror glass

S

One-way/half-silvered glass is only effective if the side desiring privacy is darker than the other side. In the evening with lights on inside, seeing inside from outside is quite easy. Our door has tinted safety glass that's easy to see through, but it also has a pull down shade for privacy.

Apparently the solution is using Privacy Smartglass, also referred to as privacy glass or switchable glass, is electric switchable glass with adjustable opacity. It uses electro-chromatic technology to interchange between transparency and an opaque state by applying voltage.
Hm when apply voltage it becomes non-transparent...
Now it has to be found if such glass is available on the market...

I wouldn’t want clear glass. The other campers might not want to see me romping around in my negligee 🤣🤣🤣
Sure privacy is important, but I feel blind standing behind a door with a window that is actually not a window... a fake thing...

Low tech would be a good heavy cloth held to the door with velcro. No clearance issues

Keep in mind that RV entry doors and their windows are not universal and tend to be different in size & shape from make to make, model to model and year to year. In addition it also varies just how the glass is installed. Depending on the structure of the door it could be very simple to replace or it might be nearly impossible.

Several sellers offer leaded glass decorative replacements in many designs; or you may submit your design for a replacement window. Not cheap but some are quite pretty.

If you want the same effect for cheap you can get static cling stained glass vinyl film for about $10-$15 from amazon, etc.

Lippert has a in door shade/glass kit for the doors they manufacture, however you have to open the door, step outside, close the screen and then operate the shade, then back inside and close up. I thought this was a good idea until I worked thru the process in my head and realized how unworkable it was.

My motor home had a pull down shade attached to the inside of the screen that fully covered the upper half of the screen and thus the door. Someone had "let it fly" (very strong retraction spring on the roller) before I got it, and I ended up buying a new one from Winnebago in early 2016 for about $100.

Inside screen door shade.jpg
Here is the shade covering the top part of the screen door (complete with my warning labels on it to restrain it while raising or lowering it.

Charles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom