Why the milky-colored water from washing the roof of my motorhome?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just looked at the top on Our PA  MH today and the one stored in front of ours.  Wow  An=m I glad I spent the time doing our roof,  Ours is still white while the other looks gray in splochy places.  Is there a word like splochy LOL  Much rather have ours.  Their unit doen't look as if it's been used much, but the roof plain ole sucks.

Rubysamm  don't think you'll be disappointed.

I am in the process of purchasing an 2007 Monaco Diplomat that will have a fiberglass roof.  This sounds like a common problem with the new roofs, I would get 'milky-white' stuff from my current Diplomat with a tin (aluminum??) roof but then it is painted white and the oxidation is greatly reduced by my keeping it waxed.  It never oxidized to the point that it was streaking the sides.  I get streaking from the dirt accumulation.

I will appreciate any information either from your knowledge or experiences as it is not to late to stop the purchase.  Thks.

I don't know what to tell you because this issue has me baffled. I've owned fiberglass boats for many years and have not seen this problem. Our current boat sits about a mile from where our coach is stored (both uncovered) and I've never seen this happen on the boat. When it happens on the coach, I can see it run down the sides, but it's also very apparent if I'm up there with a hose washing the roof with plain water. The only difference I can think of is that I've never waxed the roof of the coach.

Tom said:
BTW here are the photos of Terry drilling into the roof. Once I said "go", there was no stopping him with that drill.

But Tom just got caught up in the fun of drilling holes in his roof as shown in the attached photo.

Attachments

• Tom caught up in drilling holes.JPG
    Tom caught up in drilling holes.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 21
Click here and here for photos of that milky stuff. Pretty hard to miss, if I'm looking at the side or roof of the coach or the ground, which is why I'm so confident it's not occurring on any of our vehicles or boats, so it's doubtful it's fallout.

Maybe it has something to do with those $10000 paint jobs on the side and Ear; Schibb job on the Roofs.  You don't see it so they hit it once and forget it.  Got to cut costs somewhere/

Today, (Or rather yesterday) I read the label on a bottle of Protect-All Roof treatment.

It specifically mentioned the chalking of white roofs, however I'm not sure if they were talking about the EDPM rubber or the calking used at seams and fittings.  But it specifically mentioned it.

My roof is kind of bright white just now having been spick and spanned on Thursday, Protect-All-ed on Friday and rinsed off by God on Saturday

I so love working on the roof (NOT)

Maybe it has something to do with those $10000 paint jobs on the side and Ear; Schibb job on the Roofs.  You don't see it so they hit it once and forget it.  Got to cut costs somewhere/

I doubt if the actual roof is painted at all. The $10K paint job usually ends at the seam between the caps/sidewalls and the roof. The roof material usually has its native gel coat or similar (in the case of Britek and such) shiny white surface. 

Roofs collect everything that is floating around in the air. Then a heavy dew or rain washes it down the sides and then dries there, leaving all sorts on unsightly residues.  Our rig is parked in a forest several months a year and the roof gets brown stains from tannin (oak trees) and some grayish-black from decaying twigs and bark. Then is washes down the sides...

Exactly what I was referring too.  The tops get absolutely doo-diddly-squat done to them cause you don't see it, until it appears on the sides.  If they were clear coating as the sides, that problem wouldn't occur.  They probably save  25 bucks per unit at the rate they buy clear coat and the 3 minutes it takes to do the job.

RV Roamer said:
Roofs collect everything that is floating around in the air. Then a heavy dew or rain washes it down the sides and then dries there, leaving all sorts on unsightly residues.  Our rig is parked in a forest several months a year and the roof gets brown stains from tannin (oak trees) and some grayish-black from decaying twigs and bark. Then is washes down the sides...

Which is, of course, why my roof is now "Eye hurting bright white".  (I spick and spanned the brown stains off,

One bottle Spick & Span Liquid, One mop, and one hose full of H20 hooked to the thingy on the house, and now it shines once again)

Tons of fun,  And I'm Acrophobic!

Tom  Was I mistaken when I said you have an all fiberglass roof.  Isn't that possibly metal roof? with chaulking white  or cream colored paint.?  I just read somewhere thatthose were metal roofs and I went back and tried to find it  and in my stuper mode, can't find it.  Maybe I will someday find it.

Shayne, it's a fiberglass roof. Look here - it's the second item down in the spec list.

I was just checking cause somewhere in the 2000s they were using metal and switched to FG  so it was just a passing thought.  Sorry if it alarmed you.  I also now remember Terry drilling holes in the top.  Shouldn't have asked the Q.  Sorry.

Shayne said:
Sorry if it alarmed you.

No alarm and no apology necessary Shayne.

In the last couple of days I've washed the boat, our dock and our deck. The only "fallout" I saw was the dark brown peat dust that comes off the surrounding fields/farms. Some of that stuff was apparent in the dark streaks that I always get down the side of the boat after some dew, fog or light rain. It's very apparent on part of our deck where the overhead cover is too short; The drips drop on the deck and we're left with dark brown stuff. This afternoon I was at the coach, just a mile or so away, and the sides were streaked with the white stuff. (I'd washed the entire coach, including the roof and sides, before putting it back in storage recently).

I've washed boats, RVs, cars and docks in this area for approximately 20 years and, other than our coach, I've never seen anything other than peat dust and bird poop. (The birds left on their annual migration a couple of months ago). There is no way that this is "industrial fallout"; Any industry is a long way away and I don't understand how it could be so selective as to only deposit itself on the roof of our coach and not on any of our property, vessels or vehicles, or those of our neighbors.

This morning I was on the phone to Monaco Tech Support and thought I'd ask if the guy had come across this problem. He told me he hears it every day. He recommends that folks who see this, wash &/or buff the roof (as needed), then apply a coat of wax, which is of course what I've always done with fiberglass boats. I asked him about the potential danger of having a waxed roof, but his only answer was "you don't go up there often". Thinking about Chris Pennings, I said "it only takes once".

I'm eager to see the results of Rolf's test.

Hey Tom (and others following this thread),

It's early yet but I guess I can report on the results of my test as of today.  It was 6 weeks ago (or so) that I put a coat of Gel Gloss (one step cleaner and polish) on the roof of our MH.  Since that time, I've only had maybe three instances where either rain or dew has run off of the roof, but neither time did I have any milky-colored streaking down the sides of the MH.  So I guess I can say that so far the Gel Gloss has worked very nicely for me, better than I expected.  We've since left Minnesota and now have the MH in Mesa, AZ so I don't expect a lot or rainfall or dew here either.  Needless to say, my roof polishing test is not getting a very good workout. 

We ran into heavy rain and a real snowstorm on the trip from Minnesota to Mesa, so I did have to wash the MH when we got here.  Once again, I noticed no white streaking from washing, brushing, and rinsing the roof with soap and water.  So I guess I can say that so far the results are encouraging.

As for worrying about the roof being too slippery after applying the polish or wax, I can only say that you never need to move around on the area that you just polished or waxed if you do it right.  I start at about two feet from the very front and stay in the center of the roof at all times.  I sit down in the center of the roof and reach to each side and to the center to apply the polish and to wipe it with a clean rag.  I do maybe a 2 square foot area at a time on each side and then do the center areas last.  Then I move back a couple of feet and do that area next.  I never have to stand on or sit on an area that I just polished.  My front cap is the worst because it slopes to the front and has no texture to it at all.  This is the one area where I really have to be careful.  I never stand in this area and never extend myself too far from the center.  If I feel that it's too dangerous to try and reach all the way to the end on either side, I'll get the ladder to do that area from the ground.

After a couple of weeks, the roof won't be too slippery to walk on as that characteristic seems to go away with time.

One thing I have learned from using the Gel Gloss product is that you need to keep using a clean area of the rag to apply the polish.  If you use an area of the rag that is even a Little bit dirty, that dirt will be spread over the area that you are applying the polish to and will be much harder to remove when wiping with a clean cloth.  Always using a clean area of the rag means that you will have to use more polish, but then if the area you are polishing is already super clean, then your rag will never get dirty anyway and you won't need as much polish to complete the job.  But who wants to spend so much time cleaning the rig super clean when you know it'll take even longer to polish it?  When washing it, get it clean but not super clean.  Then let the Gel Gloss (it's a cleaner too) do it's magic.  Just remember to not use a dirty area of the rag to apply the polish, that's my advice FWIW.

Thanks for the report Rolf, much appreciated.

The caps on our coach are painted, so I won't have that issue. I do go on the main area of the roof occasionally, so that's still something of a concern. If I wasn't worried about it, I'd use a good carnuba wax like I use on the boat, but I need to find something that will give me the protection without being a hazard.

Thanks again for the report.

The white milky stuff it gelcoat that the sun dried out (We see this all the time in the Marine industry (BOATS) the fix is to buff the top and then wax it. The top needs waxing more then the sides it sits in the sun all the time and will dry out faster. I use a vinyl floor wax (Must be Clear floor wax) this last a long time longer the wax it will make it slick but it protects the roof. hope this helps

Brian

Brian,

I've been waxing fiberglass boats for many years. If gel coat isn't protected (by a good wax), it oxidizes and it's very evident looking at the surface. In this case the oxidation on the roof of our coach is not so evident; In fact, the roof looks like almost new gel coat with little or no oxidation visible. That's why this has been such a puzzle to me.

Tom

I think that what your are having is a oxidation problem in the beginning stages. If the roof is dry and you run your hand across it will the white stuff come off on your hand if it will I would try a 3M cleaner and wax. They have it at West Marine

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/categoryg/10001/-1/10001/166/11201/4/man/asc/0/grid

Back
Top Bottom