WiFi Options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We need a lot of data for our jobs. Most “unlimited” data plans have a GB threshold where they throttle your speed and it becomes unusable for our work needs.
We tried HughesNet when we started out in 2016… they were rock solid stable and had plenty of bandwidth, but they were way too lagged for us for work purposes. After over 6 years, and up until a week ago, we had four Verizon sources (two cell phones, one jet pack mifi, and one cell-enabled iPad; as well as one ATT source. Last Saturday I switched my (Verizon) phone to T-Mobile, so now it’s another source (and one less Verizon source). Also got the T-Mobile 5G gateway… So yet another source and, so far, it seems like this will let us cut back on most of the other ones. T-Mobile gateway is an unlimited AND UNTHROTTLED whole house portable (mobile) cellular internet option that allows unlimited connections. (Was leaning hard towards StarLink, but I expect they’re over selling it before they have sufficient infrastructure in place.). So far, the T-Moble is performing quite well, but it’s only been a few days...I’ll update our experience with its performance when we’ve had more experience and have moved around a bit.

Both our Visible (Verizon) and grandfathered AT&T plans are unlimited data with no slow downs after some fixed number of bytes. Both plans are subject to temporary "deprioritization" slow downs on heavily congested towers, but we've never had a problem with that. Even streaming has rarely been affected by deprioritization. With Visible at $25/mo ($30 and $45 for new signups) and AT&T at $23.50/mo, we're quite satisfied with both of them.

After travelling out west this year using Verizon sim plus our UK phones that piggyback onto either T-mobile or AT&T it was very apparent that AT&T had better coverage in the areas we visited. Therefore I'd suggest that depending on your area of travel you get a variety to give better cover.

I thought I'd chime in with our new set up. "Our" meaning the DWs. She has a work from home as long as home has internet. She bought a Peplink device from Mobilemusthave that is currently using a T-Mobile 5G service. It is not cheap, but it is supposed to be a Wi-Fi and cell booster. So far her system isn't reporting great speeds, but it must be adequate as we stream movies and get good internet downloads. It seems to be working better for her than our last attempt to use our parks high speed Wi-Fi service.

I would have rather gone with Starlink, but it may have some coming pitfalls as well.

You mean you cannot even use it for e-mails or posting messages here?

-Don- Reno, NV
Not sure. I'm the impatient type so often just go through the wife's phone rather than wait. But if you can think back to the old dial-up Internet, by comparison that would be like lightning fast.

Don, are you talking about a Verizon plan? Never seen anything more than 30 gigs.

There's another consideration I've been wondering about. I'm a Mac user and use their Safari browser. Then my home page is Yahoo. Takes forever to open a page and sometimes I get a notice that the page is using significant energy. Something is definitely hanging it up and it's costing me data. But my computer skills are limited and I haven't found anything during my attempts to trouble shoot it. That said, my Mac is 6 years old and I'm overdue for an upgrade.

One option I haven't seen mentioned is the data plan from FMCA. I had it for awhile till the supplied hotspot died. Then later on the Sprint plan. Sprint didn't work for us so dropped it. They are back with AT&T. As of now it seems to be a good price point.

We had some life changes that have come full circle and hopefully we can get back to more travel. If so I'll likely rejoin.

In my other life the company used in-cab communications on Sprint. Best part was that you got away from any major metro area and no signal. Didn't take too long to figure when the signal would drop, Nap Time.

Don, are you talking about a Verizon plan? Never seen anything more than 30 gigs.
"150 GB of premium mobile hotspot data, then unlimited lower-speed data"

Above is a copy and paste from my Verizon Account (requires my log-in, so I cannot provide a link).

The plan costs $110.00 per month. I have never gotten close to the slow down. So I have MUCH more than I really need.

I have only used 3.57 GB this month and only have 8 days left before it renews to 150 GB. And no way will I get close to that this month. But some months I use a lot more. I don't hesitate to do anything with it. As I explained I updated my GPS maps with it, left it downloading overnight during an RV trip.

-Don- Reno, NV

I have the "Orbic Speed 5G UW Mobile Hotspot" from Verizon with their "Pro" plan. The device was about $300 and the plan is $60 a month. It provides 100GB of data each month before it slows down.

My home internet uses a Verizon 4G service which is truly unlimited, but slower than 5G. They don't offer a 5G home account where I live, but the Hotspot gets a better 5G connection here in the boondocks at home than most places, even in the city, that I have taken it. So, I often use it at home for quicker downloads. As a test, I used it for all of our TV watching for a few weeks at home and never came close to the 100GB data cap. I may cancel our home service and use the hotspot (and AT&T's slow DSL that we also have) at home.

The hotspot has worked well on the road so far. We have used it on a couple of trips and always had service. When 5G isn't available, it is still fast enough for watching TV and everything else that we need it to do.

The only complaint I have is that the screen over the LCD display cracked. I am going to see if they will fix it under the warranty, but if not, it's just cosmetic.

On the

I have their unlimited plan which is 150GB before the slowdown. I have never seen the slowdown. Not even when I try my best to get there.

With a lot of use, and I mean things like downloading maps to a GPS. I have done overnight large downloads with it. Watch a lot of firestick TV, etc.

I find the unlimited plan to be worth the extra price. However, for most months I am wasting some money, because I only rarely use it that much. But I like the idea that I don't even have to be concerned about reaching the limit no matter what I do with it on any month.

-Don- Reno, NV
Since we travel sporadically, I wonder if we could cycle from the 30G plan to the 150G plan when we go camp, then cycle back once we return home…

We have used my phone as a hotspot, thru Consumer Cellular. It is fine for emails and some web browsing, but after a day I started getting messages that we were approaching XX GBs. Its technically an unlimited plan, so not sure what that was about. It worked, but we didnt attempt streaming, so can't comment on that yet.
We are looking into more powerful options, like Starlink.
How are you getting on with Consumer Cellular?

We're looking for a cell service out West and trying to decide which to use.

Thanks

We're pleased with our Consumer Cellular service, Jackie. We have the 10 GB/mo. data at the same $57/mo (w/AARP 5% discount) that we paid when we first started with them with 400 MB of data. And we rarely use the original 400 MB/mo, so it has suited us quite well.

For folks who need more, I can't say much except that they've been great for us, and you can change your plan every months, should you wish, without extra charges (other than the differences in the plan itself). We've been month to month with them for over 10 years.

Thanks Larry.

Hoping a Wyomingite will give opinions on best cell network as I think we'll be there for a huge portion of our trip. Didn't do too well with Verizon there last year 🙄

The Wife has an unlimited Consumer, they use AT&T towers, and plan deprioritize after 50 gigs/month. It does pretty good for what we do, she can stream while I use my Visibile, also unlimited but 'May deprioritize' if towers are congested" and web surf. Unless it just decides to boot your for no good reason.

But in Wyoming, good luck. I think I would investigate a couple of cans and string.

But in Wyoming, good luck. I think I would investigate a couple of cans and string.
That's how I feel in the limited areas of WY I visit. It's also why I opted for a DSL line at our WY lot (unable to get fiber optic service).

Thanks Larry.

Hoping a Wyomingite will give opinions on best cell network as I think we'll be there for a huge portion of our trip. Didn't do too well with Verizon there last year 🙄
Jackie,

Try calling Silver Star Comms - they service Wyoming and other states. Don't know if they offer short-term plans though.

Back
Top Bottom