Will a Dodge/Airstream rv work as a toad for a Prevost?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckyman

The subject says it.? Would a Dodge/Airstream rv (the current model) work as a toad for a Prevost or some other highway bus?

I can envision keeping the bus on the freeways, parking it in a secure rv site just off the freeway, and then taking the Dodge/Airstream rv off to explore the byways and small roads nearby.? It might be desirable to have these side trips take several days.

For example, I would not want to take a highway bus into Yosemite or the high country, even if they would allow it.? Thus, I would like to leave the bus in Fresno or Merced and then travel in the smaller rv toad, such as a Dodge/Airstream to spend some time in Yosemite or Tuollome Meadows.?

Does anybody else do this sort of thing?? Bus as a base camp, toad for several day rv camping (not tent camping) explorations.

Can a bus handle a toad as big as a Dodge/Airstream?

luckyman said:
For example, I would not want to take a highway bus into Yosemite or the high country, even if they would allow it.

Well, a bus can go into Yosemite, we just drove our 38' motorhome with toad through the park from NE to Fresno.? However, I don't advise it :)

That, as always, depends on the GCWR of the bus, the towing capacity of the hitch, and the weight of the toad.

luckyman said:
The subject says it.? Would a Dodge/Airstream rv (the current model) work as a toad for a Prevost or some other highway bus?

I can envision keeping the bus on the freeways, parking it in a secure rv site just off the freeway, and then taking the Dodge/Airstream rv off to explore the byways and small roads nearby.? It might be desirable to have these side trips take several days.

For example, I would not want to take a highway bus into Yosemite or the high country, even if they would allow it.? Thus, I would like to leave the bus in Fresno or Merced and then travel in the smaller rv toad, such as a Dodge/Airstream to spend some time in Yosemite or Tuollome Meadows.?

Does anybody else do this sort of thing?? Bus as a base camp, toad for several day rv camping (not tent camping) explorations.

The GVWR of the Dodge/Airstream is 8550 # well within the towing range of a number of class A and buses. A friend has a Prevost and tows a H2 which has a GVWR of 8600. The issue is probably going to be with the ability of the Dodge to be towed 4 wheels down. I suspect not but maybe a driveshaft disconnect from Remco would make it possible. Need to specs on the bus and Dodge t be really sure.

I think the first thing to consider would be over all length of the Prevost and Airstream when hooked up for towing.  If the Prevost is 45 ft long and the Airstream is longer than 20 ft then you can not travel legally on the highways in many states such as AZ where the maximum combined length is 65 ft.  Then what is the weight of the Airstream and can it be towed without exceeding the GCVWR of the Prevost?  Then you would have to determine if the Airstream can be towed with all tires on the ground.  Remember while states do have reciprocal agreements, over weight and over length are not included in these agreements.

Ron said:
I think the first thing to consider would be over all length of the Prevost and Airstream when hooked up for towing.? If the Prevost is 45 ft long and the Airstream is longer than 20 ft then you can not travel legally on the highways in many states such as AZ where the maximum combined length is 65 ft.? .

There must be somethng else related to overall length. If one looks at the guides, you'll see Oregon with 50' , GA with 55, AL with 57, etc. You know that in everyone of those states motorhomes with toads are excceding those lenghts. The FMCA convention held in Bend, OR brings litterally thousands of over length units if 50' is the rule.  ???

blueblood said:
There must be something else related to overall length. If one looks at the guides, you'll see Oregon with 50' , GA with 55, AL with 57, etc. You know that in everyone of those states motorhomes with toads are exceeding those lengths. The FMCA convention held in Bend, OR brings litterally thousands of over length units if 50' is the rule.? ???

While one may get away with exceeding length or weight limitations the real clincher is the liability issues they are exposing themselves to should they get involved in an accident whether it be their fault or not when operating illegally by being over length or over weight.

Howdy, Luckyman.

}}}The subject says it.  Would a Dodge/Airstream rv (the current model) work as a toad for a Prevost or some other highway bus?{{{

That all depends upon the weight of the Dodge/Airstream and the GCWR of bus. I know that my Blue Bird Wanderlodge can pull 10,000 lbs. And I am assuming(which might be dangerous) that it can stop it's own weight and that extra 10,000 lbs SAFELY.  :) Safety is very important.
But another big factor is how much the weight of the Dodge/Airstream rv will affect the mpg of the bus. To some people that is not a concern  but to others it is important considering the cost of a gallon of diesel fuel these days. The total length of the bus plus tow bar plus the Dodge/Airstream rv must be considered too as that pulling that length might be illegal on some highways.

Overall I like your idea.

Regards,
Liz

Jackliz said:
I know that my Blue Bird Wanderlodge can pull 10,000 lbs. And I am assuming(which might be dangerous) that it can stop it's own weight and that extra 10,000 lbs SAFELY.  :) Safety is very important.

Liz

You know what happens when you assume ;D ;D  The last time I attended the RV Safe Driving classes at an FMCA rally, the speaker indicated that the braking capapcity of a Prevost is 0 pounds over the GVWR. I would presume the Wanderlodge is similar. Most chassis makers today do not allow for little, if any, additional weight over the GVWR for braking.

BernieD said:
Liz

You know what happens when you assume ;D ;D? The last time I attended the RV Safe Driving classes at an FMCA rally, the speaker indicated that the braking capapcity of a Prevost is 0 pounds over the GVWR. I would presume the Wanderlodge is similar. Most chassis makers today do not allow for little, if any, additional weight over the GVWR for braking.

In addition most states require supplemental braking for anything being towed over 3000 lbs, some states 1500 lbs.

As long as you don't exceed your tow/hitch capacity, have an axuillary brake system installed...I don't see why not.? I have seen a Class A tow a 4X4 Sportsmobile.

Terry
See Where I am...http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=229

Thank you very much for your wise and thoughtful answers.? I shall go away and ponder things.? I want so much to have a big base camp vehicle and an agile RV toad.

Lucky Man

Lucky Man is still interested.

Can one get an insurance policy rider to cover situations where one is not in total conformance with the state laws and regulations?

I gather that a low-profile, auto-tracking, satellite broadband connection which can function while traveling is not yet available.

Does anyone still use CB, or has email/cellphone now replaced CB?

Wave, if you meet a coach towing an RV toad.

Lucky Man

What would the rider cover?  If you did have such coverage and were in violation of state law and that violation were a factor in a loss, I expect the insurance company would deny the claim and have every right to do so.

In motion satellite internet is not possible with the current satellite systems.  There are cellular based systems that work quite well as long as you stay in the coverage area.

CB has been replaced/supplemented by FRS radio.  Email isn't a substitute as most people don't have the ability to use it while underway, but cellphones are an acceptable alternative if you don't want your conversation public.

luckyman said:
Lucky Man is still interested.

Can one get an insurance policy rider to cover situations where one is not in total conformance with the state laws and regulations?

Lucky Man

What you are asking in other words is can you get insured against damages incurred while you are in intentional violation of the law.  I think any insurance would not be in business long if they took on this type of risk.  The liability issues you would be exposed to should you become involved in an accident while operating a vehicle in a manner or situation that is not in conformance with the law could be tremendous even if the accident was not your fault.  For example if you operating a vehicle over weight and somebody runs a stop sign and you hit them if it is discovered that you have exceeded the weight limitations for your vehicle the cause of the accident would end up percent of contribution by parties involved instead of the guy running the stop sign being the sole contributor to the accident.  Now if there is a death it could be possible that a charge of manslaughter would be in the future. 

Best not to operate illegally.

Most Prevost coaches have a 10,000 lb towing capacity.  Due to the tremendous torque of a Prevost, it can pull an Airstream easily.  Of course, the legal limits state by state vary considerably, so it's best to check with your local governmental authority.  California is a very tough state to deal with as they enforce the legal length limits very strictly and the state is not about to change its laws.  It's very strict.  Be careful with any toad and utilize the appropriate supplemental braking system indicated for a toad.

Been about 18 months, whole new metric regarding fuel pricing etc.  Wonder f the OP is still around or out pulling the Airstream?

Back
Top Bottom