Will Be New Full Timer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mamanurse2002

Hi! My husband just retired and we are planning to go full time.  We sold our house and will be storing our furniture until we decide where we would like to settle.  I still have to work, so I will be doing some travel-nursing, and he will be my driver!  We are looking forward to getting started. 
We have a 40-ft diesel-pusher Alpine Coach by Western RV.  I am just not sure what all to pack and what all to store.  Of course, the furniture has to be stored, I don't mean that.  I'm wondering about my roasting pans cookie sheets, christmas dishes,waffle iron, (of course George Foreman will be coming along), and all the microwave dishes, how many sets of clothes, towels, sheet changes!  It is so overwhelming  :-\ to think of going through everything and what all to do.  We will be going from a three bedroom house to this RV.  Been planning on it for a few years, and now I may be getting cold feet, but it's too late for that, since escrow closes April 24th......We have lawn furniture, bicycles, important files.  How do we get it all organized?  I would appreciate any suggestions or warnings from anyone!

Hi mamanurse2002 and welcome to our friendly forum. You've started down an exciting path that many here have traveled before you. So you should get plenty of advice. The rest of us can only sit back in admiration and share in your excitement.

Welcome to the RV Forum.  I'm sure you will enjoy your upcoming adventure.  I know we have.  What to take and what to store or leave behind is almost overwhelming.  However, after a few trips you will begin to get an idea what you want and use and what is really just taking up space.  Remember, there will only be two of you so you don't need a whole lot of dishes and cookware.  Glad you found us.

Thanks, Ron.  I think the scary part is that there aren't going to be a few trips first.  We move from the house into the RV and I have to decide what to pack away to store.  :-\  Maybe I'll just start loading up the RV and stop when it's full! ;D

We had been RVing for some time before we went full time o I guess that would help some.  Be carefull not to exceed your weight limits.

mamanurse2002 said:
? I am just not sure what all to pack and what all to store.? ? I'm wondering about my roasting pans cookie sheets, Christmas dishes,waffle iron, (of course George Foreman will be coming along), and all the microwave dishes, how many sets of clothes, towels, sheet changes!?
Hi,  We did what you did about 3 years ago.  I only keep 2 sets of sheets in rig and rarely use the second set as  we strip bed and go to Laundromat and then bring home clean sheets and replace directly on bed. A seminar once said all dishes/utensils  kept should have at least 2 functions.  Example, my mixing bowls could double as salad bowls and serving bowls  though it does not look like Martha Stewart stuff. I kept my Pyrex baking 9x13 dishes and have corel dishes and  cereal bowls. I do not have space for Christmas dishes but I do have one Christmas tray.  No on waffle iron (if I get hungry for them we go out to breakfast) I do have lots of microwave dishes as I use it a lot. I have lots of clothes but that is a pain because my closets are so packed.  You don't need very many clothes and you will find that you wear the comfortable ones over and over and some just take up space.  One thing I forgot when storing stuff is that if I did not take something I really needed, I could just go buy another one. This life style is exciting and their are stores everywhere. Keeping things in storage is good.  I sold things at  our garage sale I think I might like someday(fondue pot) but I never ever did use it much. It is a trying time and you will learn how attached you are to your stuff.  "Let it go." of course this is said by one who carries 7 of her Lladro figurines in the coach n prominent display.

Betty Brewer

Hi mamanurse.

Welcome to the group. My husband and I are also in the process of getting rid of things, storing things, and getting ready to full-time. My plan is to be out of the house and in the coach full time by the end of the year.

We've decided to sell all the furniture, except for a couple of pieces that Mike made and my grandmother's cedar chest.

No need for lawn furniture and gardening tools since we don't plan on having a yard!!

I have 3 sets of sheets out there now, 2 regular and one flannel. Figure I can wash when I need to.

For the kitchen 'stuff' and clothes, I plan on taking the things I know I just can't possibly live without out to the coach and start putting stuff away. When I run out of room, I'll compare what's put away with what's still sitting there and swap items if I like the 'un-put-away' things better than the 'put-away' things. Then we're having one awesome yard sale!!

Our biggest problem areas are going to be hobby items.....model planes, books, crochet supplies, scrapbooking supplies, computer junk, DVDs, CDs.

Oh, and we do have to fit the dog and his toys in there somewhere, too.

We've set a rule that if we haven't used it in a year, out it goes.

Wendy

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom