Will beer go bad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rene T

Site Team
If beer is in the fridge and the fridge gets shut down for several months and the fridge gets turned back on, will the beer taste bad? I know, drink it before it goes bad but that’s not possible.

My advice is try it. If it's in date it's probably still OK. Excessive heat might affect it but unlikely if in a fridge.

Sunlight is it's worse enemy. I certainly would try it before you pitch it, if it seems flat opening it, probably safe to pitch. Darn it Rene, some things are important :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Back in the early 70's when I was underage and had to hide my it from my parents :) I stashed a 6 pack of Coors for 2 months under my bed. Every can went bad, I mean really bad. It wasn't pasteurized in those days but I understand it is now. I guess that's why it doesn't taste as good these days. Unpasteurized beer with a low alcohol content like 3.2% can go bad. Unpasteurized beer list

I've never had one go bad, and some I've had around for several years. I'm not talking kidney irrigation like coors and bud and whatnot, though not sure how you tell the difference. Beer does not bottle age so over time it won't get "better". If it was bottled right, it is sterile so even if it tastes a little "off" it won't hurt you. At that point it's imperative it's properly 'disposed of' and measures taken to ensure inventory is promptly processed so that fresh stock is always ready and available.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

Back in the early 70's when I was underage and had to hide my it from my parents :) I stashed a 6 pack of Coors for 2 months under my bed. Every can went bad, I mean really bad. It wasn't pasteurized in those days but I understand it is now. I guess that's why it doesn't taste as good these days. Unpasteurized beer with a low alcohol content like 3.2% can go bad. Unpasteurized beer
I haven't heard of 3.2% beer since high school; funny stuff.

Attachments

• KLR650.jpg
    KLR650.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 1
Beer is supposed to be consumed within 15 days of brewing. I have consumed beer aged more than that. It was not as good as fresher, but it didn't make me sick.

I've had beer at the local brewery that was very skunky. They don't seem to have a bead on keeping things consistent. I've also bought bottles that were bad. I've got one year old micro brewery beer that still is good.

When beer gets "pasteurize" I think you've had enough 😂😂

I haven't heard of 3.2% beer since high school; funny stuff.
When I was 18 we used to drive to Ohio, I lived in Pittsburgh. Ohio law was 3.2 was legal for 18 year olds.
Scmidt's was about all that was availble back then. But we didn't care.

I lived in the UK for 5 years. Cask beer or ale has a short shelf life. The casks are normally in the cool basement but if not consumed in a certain time they have to be dumped. It took me a few years to used to British ales. I would get a headache after one pint. But I persisted and learned to enjoy the ales. But Guinness is still my favorite.

Too much sunlight and heat make beer taste funky, but I'm not sure it is "bad" other than poor tasting. That said, I would certainly avoid storing cans or bottles of beer for several months in anything less than a cool, dark place.

When we lost my Dad, we were cleaning out his 5th wheel (he lived in it full-time). I looked under the step storage and found two six packs of Moose Drool beer from Canada. His trip to Canada was easily 7 or 8 years earlier. I took the beer, and had it in my garage fridge for another couple of years. My BIL and his wife, and my SIL came for a visit to surprise my wife on our anniversary (that was a big hit), and I pulled that beer out one night. It was a dark beer to begin with, and add the years to it, and wow, what a punch in the gut. But it was actually good beer after you got your taste buds adjusted to it. We did end up drinking it all.

Back
Top Bottom