Will it pull?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cannsyl

So I have a 2011 Ford F-350 SWD and I am buying a 2016 Wildcat FW.  Attaching the stickers of both.
I don't think I'll have any problems, but wanted to double check with second opinions.

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180804-184541_Photo Editor.jpg
    Screenshot_20180804-184541_Photo Editor.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 44
  • Screenshot_20180804-184613_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20180804-184613_Gallery.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 43
You need to find a GCWR for your truck. That's Gross Combination Weight Rating.  That the max of your truck and trailer combined.  Then take your truck to a scale and see what the axle weights are right now. That will tell you how much room you have left for  the weight of your trailer.

2011 Ford Towing Guide

Page 20 has the GCWR capacities for the F250/F350 series.  You should be able to find your truck's GCWR there.  It varies according to engine, axle ratio, towing package, etc.

You should be fine on the overall weight, and even with the single rear tires you should be OK if you don't go overboard with stuff carried in the truck.

I have the 2001 version of your truck and the dry rear axle weight on mine is about 3600 lbs.  With 6730 lbs rear axle GAWR that leaves 3839 3130 lbs for the pin weight,  or 33% 27% of the 5th wheels GVWR.  Most fifth wheels put about 15-20% of their total weight on the pin.

Again, weigh the truck to see what you're starting with and go from there.

The 2203 max payload (carrying capacity) is  going to be a constraint.  You should assume that 20% of the 5W trailer GVWR will rest on the hitch pin, meaning the truck has to carry it in addition to the weight of the hitch, passengers and any gear in the truck.  The Wildcats have a GVWR starting at around 9500 lbs and upwards from there as they get bigger, so you are looking at 1900+ lbs on the hitch pin right there.

The tow guide that Lou referenced will give the rest (GCWR and Max Trailer Rating), but I suspect you will be ok there.

So the short answer is that the truck will probably PULL the weight, but not CARRY the proportion that rests on the hitch.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
The 2203 max payload (carrying capacity) is  going to be a constraint.  You should assume that 20% of the 5W trailer GVWR will rest on the hitch pin, meaning the truck has to carry it in addition to the weight of the hitch, passengers and any gear in the truck.  The Wildcats have a GVWR starting at around 9500 lbs and upwards from there as they get bigger, so you are looking at 1900+ lbs on the hitch pin right there.

The tow guide that Lou referenced will give the rest (GCWR and Max Trailer Rating), but I suspect you will be ok there.

So the short answer is that the truck will probably PULL the weight, but not CARRY the proportion that rests on the hitch.

2203 lbs is the TRAILER's carrying capacity, not the truck's payload.  The same sticker gives the trailer's GVWR as 11668 lbs.  20% of 11668 lbs is 2333 lbs.

Cannsyl will have to weigh his truck to verify, but based on the truck's 6730 lb. rear axle capacity and what I found when I weighed my (admittedly older) F350, he should have about 3000 lbs available before he exceeds the truck's rear axle GAWR, which should be sufficient for that trailer.

edit: I went back and corrected the math in my previous posting.  I should know better than try and do those kinds of calculations in my head.  :eek:

I have a similar truck, although  2 years newer and diesel.  You should be fine.

The missing link is the yellow banner placard on the driver door latch post.  It will have the max payload for your truck.  I expect that number to be around 3500#.  Your pin wt should be around 2400# (20% of 12,000#).  That leaves lots of room for passengers and other cargo.

THANKS FOR ASKING!

Cut to the chase. It will pull the capitol building. No worries

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Yeah, but "pulling" isn't the only spec that needs to be in range.

I realize and handling and stopping are kind of important as well.  :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom