Will Surface run Streets and Trips?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

99WinAdventurer37G

I've always used Rand McNally Road atlases.  Even though I now use GPS's, still I like to use an atlas to get the big picture, now it's just the Large print atlases.  But I would like to use streets and trips in route when scouting out alternate routes.  The problem is the time it takes to boot up the laptop and start streets and trips. 

So I've seen the ads for the Surface, and was thinking it would work, IF Streets and Trips will run on it.  In addition, I'd want the map to enlarge when I spread my fingers on the screen, like the screen works on my Android phone. 

From what I understand about the Surface, it will keep a program in RAM so as soon as it's turned on, within 10 seconds the program will pop up.

Sooo, anyone have a Surface yet? 

Will Streets and Trips run on it? 

Can you enlarge the text, like on a smart phone?

Thanks,
  Steve 

No, it will not run on Microsoft's Surface RT, which has the Windows RT operating system not Windows 8. No desktop Windows programs other than the ones ported by Microsoft itself will ever work on Windows RT, no more so than it would work on iOS or Android. All apps must come from the Windows Store instead.

For Windows 8 capability with full legacy program support you'll have to wait for the Surface Pro, assuming you're set on getting a Microsoft tablet hybrid. There are other options out there, too, without the waiting. (e.g. I'm writing this on a Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga convertible.)

Ted

Thanks,  I'm not sold on anything but the idea I could pop up Streets and trips on the fly, expand the text to see exit numbers/exit layouts, shrink it again to get the big picture, etc..  I do prefer S&T as it has all the features I like, and experience has demonstrated more reliable routing.  I've tried Delormes' product, Google Maps, etc. and like S&T best.  Now I just need a platform like a tablet that will fire it up quickly.  I'm open to all platforms.  I looked at the Chromebook, but it won't do what I want either.  I'm open to all suggestions that will accomplish my goals.

Both Chromebook and tablets don't run standard applications. They run apps specifically written for their OS. Netbooks runs standard applications like Streets and Trips.

Wait for Windows 8 Pro on a tablet.  You could also find a laptop/notebook with a touch screen and Win 8 but I would personally wait for a tablet.  I have streets and tips 2013 and Map Point 2013 on my desktop but would not probably not use either for roaming GPS...  It seems more simple just to use a regular GPS when in motion...

If you want pinch to zoom on a tablet, the only option that I know of is Google Maps.  Google Maps along with the Navigation app is a reasonably good replacement for the Windows desktop applications, if you can live with the limitations.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom