Will this combo work safley & correctly?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CHVYMTL3

I have a 2000 GMC Crew Cab Dually, 7.4L, auto, 4.10 rear axle and we are looking at a Widlcat 32QBBS fifth wheel.? The specs of the trailer are 8420# dry, 11.660# GVWR and a 1500# hitch weight, overall length 32'9".? By the numbers the truck can pull this weight, but I don't want to be aggravated every time we go somewhere, especially thru the mountains.? Thanks for any advice.

You didn't mention the GVWR and GCWR of your Chevy, so I cannot guestimate how close to the limits you are. Generally speaking, with a gas engine you want to be 10-20% below the max if you expect good snappy performance in all terrains. Diesels are a bit more forgiving and perform pretty well right up to or even beyond their chassis limits.

You will probably find that a Gear Vendors Over/Under drive auxiliary transmission would be a big benefit if performance is a top priority for you.  It would let you harness the horsepower of the 7.4L much more effectively. Gear Vendors

CHVYMTL3 said:
I have a 2000 GMC Crew Cab Dually, 7.4L, auto, 4.10 rear axle and we are looking at a Widlcat 32QBBS fifth wheel.? The specs of the trailer are 8420# dry, 11.660# GVWR and a 1500# hitch weight, overall length 32'9".? By the numbers the truck can pull this weight, but I don't want to be aggravated every time we go somewhere, especially thru the mountains.? Thanks for any advice.

Not really.  Your rig (a 3500) seems have a tow rating  of 11,800#.  We recommend a minimal safety factor of 10% relative to the GVWR of the trailer.  That would mean a rating of 10,300#,    Drag that rascal out the mountain or Pacific west, and you  should make that 10% into 15% for a diesel to allow for long 6-8% grades and 8000 ft. passes.  A normally aspirated engine loses 3% of rated HP per thousand foot altitude -- 8000 ft means your power is down 24%.  Now your tow rating is down to 10,000#.

Big heavy 5ers demand a lot of truck.

Thanks for the input so far.  I live just outside of Charlotte, NC and the majority of my travels will be weekends and a full week once or twice a year. I proboably won't see the mountains that often.  Worst case is Black Mountain going thru the NC mountains.  We really love the floor plan of the 32QBBS.  I have looked at several other units with similar floor plans even 2 feet shorter but the weight only changes a couple hundered pounds.  Does the Hypertec programmer and some of the simple add on items make an big differences?
Thanks again

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom