windshield washer instead of rv antifreeze

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

frizzen

Hello all, I was just wondering since it is getting so high, about using windshield washer solution to winterize instead of the pink rv antifreeze. We do
not ever drink the water in the rv. We do brush our teeth, and shower. Of course the tanks would be rinsed out real good in the spring before
we would use the rv. Please tell me why I should not do this.  Thanks  Frizzen  Kansas City Mo.

Why take a chance? To save a few pennies? The antifreeze in WalMart is not that much more expensive than the windshield washer fluid.

I will second the "Why take a chance" Plus there may be other reasons then simple health. Without being 100% sure of the content of the bottle you have to remember one thing.

"Little Willie was a scientist, Little Willie Is no More,  For what he thought was H2O  was H2SO4"

(When he drank his glass of "Water" (really battery acid) it killed him. in case you Don't know the formulas)

Save a few dollars here, buy a funeral there... NOT a good deal

I can't see how tha alcohol content of the W/W antifreeze would be good for the seals of the pump and faucets, let alone the toxicity in the potable system.  I cannot see cost as being a factor, since both products cost about the same and an average RV requires a couple of gallons of antifreeze.

There might be a savings of about 50? with the potential of creating damage costing hundreds, not to mention the potential health hazard.

Am I missing something ???

Steve  I'm  sitting here puzzled by the thought myself.  Sounds to me as if someone might be tring to commit suicide.  Naw heck that's against the law. They want to procecute you if you do that.

frizzen said:
Hello all, I was just wondering since it is getting so high, about using windshield washer solution to winterize instead of the pink rv antifreeze. We do
not ever drink the water in the rv. We do brush our teeth, and shower. Of course the tanks would be rinsed out real good in the spring before
we would use the rv. Please tell me why I should not do this.  Thanks  Frizzen  Kansas City Mo.

Guess I'm confused here you state that the tanks will be rinsed before use. You are not conteplating tje use of WW fluid because you think the whole fresh water tank needs to be filled are you? When winterizing the antifreeze is only in the lines, traps and a little in each wase tank. The hot water tank is drained. Too much risk to play with your option. To do my 5'er it takes about 2.5 gal, not very expensive.

Nelson

frizzen said:
we would use the rv. Please tell me why I should not do this.? Thanks? Frizzen? Kansas City Mo.

One word -- methanol (aka wood alcohol aka methylated spirits).  Poisonous and corrosive to metals, particularly aluminum.  Stick to the propylene glycol anti-freezes sold for RVs and avoid potential disasters by using a poison in a potable water system.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom