Winegard Amplifier Outlet Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Murphcrud

Hi Guys,
I'm not a TV Geek.
Just got a second TV for the BR.  Attached coax cable to TV and then to the Winegard receiver outlet.  Did a scan for channels, only got 4.  On the second TV, we are receiving 30-50 channels.
What is the 12 Volt amplifier used for and what type of plug do I use in this approx 1" round opening?  See Pic

Attachments

• 2018 Winegard (2).jpg
    2018 Winegard (2).jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 26
The 1" opening is a 12VDC outlet(Power point) It could be used to power any 12 volt item using less than 8 amps

The "12 volt amplifier is used to boost any signals that it can pick up.

Is the light for the amplifier on when you scan for channels?

The amplifier is part of the antenna on the roof.  When you push the button in, it sends 12 volts up the coax to power the amplifier and connects the antenna to the TV.

When the button is out, it turns off the antenna and connects the RV's cable TV input to the TV.

Lou Schneider said:
The amplifier is part of the antenna on the roof.  When you push the button in, it sends 12 volts up the coax to power the amplifier and connects the antenna to the TV.

When the button is out, it connects the RV's cable TV input to the TV.

This unit is on a 2008 Fleetwood and there isn't any buttons to push.  See Pic

Attachments

• 2018 Winegard (2).jpg
    2018 Winegard (2).jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 27
Gizmo100 said:
The 1" opening is a 12VDC outlet(Power point) It could be used to power any 12 volt item using less than 8 amps

The "12 volt amplifier is used to boost any signals that it can pick up.

Is the light for the amplifier on when you scan for channels?

As per pic, there isn't a light on it.  It is a 11 year old model.

Murphcrud said:
As per pic, there isn't a light on it.  It is a 11 year old model.

After a closer look...yeah no light...Sorry about that.

Depending on how your system is set up..The signal coming off the antenna may be boosted for the 1st TV and not the 2nd...OR You could have a issue with the cable running to the 2nd TV.
I would make sure all the connections on TV2  are tight. Then pull the cover off @ the TV1 connection and check everything is connected properly....Guessing you will have the following connections ...Antenna in, Cable in, TV1 out and TV2 out.

Ok there are basically two different nearly identical Wall plates (THere are more but we will skip the rest)

This one is a "Slave" outlet 12 volt accessory and Antenna connetion. NO electronics or switch The outlet is basically useless.. perhaps a map light but very low current devices only.

There will be another wall plate or a box of many buttons (Will describe. matrix switch is the proper name) elsewhere IF you have a wall plast it will have a Switch and LIght

The BOMB has a row of buttons grouped like TV 1.... VCR... TV 2  TV 3  and AUX

IN most groups you then have buttons
Ant Cable, Sat VCR, DVD, AUX

On the left (usually) is one marked POWER

But I suspect you have another wall plate somewhere.

Second comment:
The other wall plate is a multi-function device
It has a cable from the roof antenna
A cable comes in from the "park cable" connetion somehere nerar the ground (often in a comprtment or a wall mounted connector) this is selected if the light is oFF.

IT has the front mounted antenna connection just like the SLAVE and the 12 volt outlet
And it has a TV-2 Connection on the rear.

IF someone messed with the cables.. YOu won't get good reception on the messed tv(s).

Thanks for all the assistance.  From here on in, I will be calling the 'Slave' outlet, the "USELESS" outlet, from here on in. lol.  Thanks John. :D

...and then to the Winegard receiver outlet.
My old eyes can't tell if that smaller circle near the bottom of the wall plate is a male coax connector or not. Sure doesn't look like one.  And is not a male coax connector, what is it?    And where did you plug to a "receiver outlet"?

Gary I hate to tell you this but you just reminded me College Biology Lab where we had to determine the sex of our fetal pigs... THat's a FEMALE Antenna (F type Coax) connector... Not a male

I know you are thinking "The nut screws on" which it does but the center wire is what determines the sex and the center wire pokes INTO the connector so it's female.

Yup confusing to me too. but I've had to order them so ......

Oh. I'm much better with pigs.

I know you are right, John, but I think it is an academic distinction.  It's like arguing that battery power is not present when the battery disconnect switch is "ON", meaning the switch is activated.

However, in the interest of clarity, let me rephrase: "... male threaded connector for coax..."

The connector in question is in the background. Why it's not installed in the cover plate is beyond me.

Attachments

• plug.jpg
    plug.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 21
Gary RV_Wizard said:
I know you are right, John, but I think it is an academic distinction.
Don't tell an engineer or technician this. Mistakes can cost a lot of money, time and maybe your job.

Thanks Bob (I trained to become an engineer by the way).

TO the O/P.  Another common issue with the cabling in an RV is the el-cheapo crimp on connectors Crimp on and slip off if you sneeze. I've had to replace several in my RV and still have one somewhere that's messed up if I can find it.

[quote author=John From Detroit]

The BOMB has a row of buttons grouped like TV 1.... VCR... TV 2  TV 3  and AUX

IN most groups you then have buttons
Ant Cable, Sat VCR, DVD, AUX

On the left (usually) is one marked POWER

But I suspect you have another wall plate somewhere[/quote]

Hello John,

I was sitting here watching my main TV that is hooked up to a factory installed stereo system with a row of buttons that is listed as Front TV Viewing - DVD Recording and low and behold a third set listed as rear TV Viewing.  Wife was watching 2nd TV last night (DVD), so I left the 2nd one alone.  Then I looked at your reply to my posting and noticed referred to buttons TV1 DVD TV2 etc.  Mine has buttons DVD SAT ANT VCR CABLE.  "THE LIGHT WENT ON !!!", press the button 'ANT', idiot.  Did a scan and now Momma has 41 channels.  Thanks again John.

Gizmo100 said:
The connector in question is in the background. Why it's not installed in the cover plate is beyond me.

Just took it apart to insure internal connections and wiring were all intact.  Read further post directed to John from Detroit.  ALL IS GOOD, MOMMA IS HAPPY

Murphcrud said:
  ALL IS GOOD, MOMMA IS HAPPY

And there was peace throughout the world...Well at least in the RV...For now.

Glad you got it figure out.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Sure, but we are communicating among RVers with TV's, not engineers.  ;)
But if you ask an engineer/technician or even your average parts guy for a male rg6 connector, guess what you will get? Remember, engineers RV to...and you can't tell us apart from RVrs

Back
Top Bottom