Winnebago Adventurer Swaying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
W

Weewun

re: 2004 Winnebago Adventurer --- excessive sway (rocking) at low speed.  On highway the sway is not noticeable and does not sway when passed by semis.  Input will be appreciated.

W

Weewun

it is a Workhorse Chassis.  I will report Tire size when I return from the MH, I have to store it off-site.

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
Could you elaborate more on this low speed sway? I assume there is no problem when driving straight down the road, so it must be in some sort of turn that the sway occurs.  Does it happen in each and everybend in the road? When turing typical street corners? Or perhaps only on very low speed turns, as into a driveway or gas station?  The Workhorse chassis is kown for a tendency to dip sharply when turning into a curb cut that has a fairly sharp rise or fall, as is often the case as it transitions from sidewalk level to street level.

Clay L

If your MH has a W20 or W22 chassis and is built on a 2003 chassis (and many 2004 motorhomes were) many had a 2 inch stabilizer bar. It is? on the front? between the spring shackles.
Either very late in 2003 or sometime in early 2004 - I don't recall when - they changed to a 2.5 inch bar.
My chassis was made in 2003 and had the old 2 inch bar.
I bought the 2.5 inch bar and installed it myself.

It made a MAJOR difference in low speed roll.

I would check the bar size and see what you have. If you want more info let me know.

W

Weewun

RV Roamer, you asked what size tires it had, they are 19.5" tires.

W

Weewun

RV Roamer said:
Could you elaborate more on this low speed sway? I assume there is no problem when driving straight down the road, so it must be in some sort of turn that the sway occurs.? Does it happen in each and everybend in the road? When turing typical street corners? Or perhaps only on very low speed turns, as into a driveway or gas station?? The Workhorse chassis is kown for a tendency to dip sharply when turning into a curb cut that has a fairly sharp rise or fall, as is often the case as it transitions from sidewalk level to street level.

[The MH rocks (rolls) when going slow over rough areas, you do have to be turning.  It is stable at highway speeds and takes turns in road with no problem.]

Mike (ex-f-221)

What about an imbalance of the wheels? Maybe at a certain frequency at a certain speed this frequency meets the resonance-frequency of the chassis. At other speeds the frequencies will not match and the RV doesn't sway.

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
If you have the Workhorse W20 or W22 chassis, yes it is known to roll or lurch a bit at low speeds on uneven surfaces, including dipping/climbing turns. The bigger 2.5" antisway bar is supposed to help quite a bit with this problem. I haven't tried it yet on my 2002 W22.  I think it is less of a problem with the 22.5 inch wheels, but have not driven both to compare first hand (I have 22.5's).

W

Weewun

Did check the stabilizer and it a two" bar on the front and a 2.5" on the rear.  Your idea about changing the front to a 2.5" sounds good.  I belive you said that you did it yourself.  I am an average mechanic so will this be within my capabilities.  Also do you remember what they cost and the length of time to replace them.

Clay L

You have to buy the bar through a dealer.
I got the part number from WH customer service - W0005643. It comes with new brackets and the new bar. The original bolts and nuts are used.

My dealer charged about $86 as I recall. Other dealers may apply a higher mark-up. Shipping was extra and was around $25 or so. To get the correct torque (275 ft pounds)  I had to rent a 36 inch torque wrench and that cost about $25 for a days use.

The installation took maybe an hour. The only problem (minor) was getting the alignment just right. I got the bolts on one end in place and then had to use a bottle jack to lift the other end up and push it in place against light resistance. If I had had help that probably would not have been necessary.
The installation procedure is below.

Kirk -The benefits are as great for 22.5 inch tires as for 19.5 tires. There has been a lot of discussion of this on another forum and a number of people had the larger tires.

I was extremely impressed with the difference in roll - at low speeds especially - but after driving it a while realised that it also made a major improvement in lean on off ramp curves.

Stabilizer Shaft Replacement (Front) (W20/W22)

Removal Procedure
1. Raise the vehicle on a hoist (I didn't do this - I crawled under)
2. Remove the nuts and washers from the stabilizer shaft clamp and the right front leaf spring.
3. Remove the nuts and washers from the stabilizer shaft clamp and the left front leaf spring, and remove the stabilizer shaft from the vehicle.
4. Remove the clamps from the stabilizer shaft.
5. Remove the insulators from the stabilizer shaft.

Installation Procedure
1. Install the insulators to the stabilizer shaft.
2. Install the clamps to the stabilizer shaft.

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Cautions and Notices in the WCC Service Manual.

3. Install the washers and nuts to the stabilizer shaft clamp and the left front leaf spring.
4. Install the washers and nuts to the stabilizer shaft clamp and the right front leaf spring.

Tighten
Tighten the stabilizer shaft clamp nuts to
373 N∙m (275 lb ft).
5. Lower the vehicle.

W

Weewun

Clay, I appreciate the input and am going to order the stabilizers.  Shall let you know what happens.

W

Weewun

Per Clay's advice I am going to replace the front stabilizer with a 2.5' bar.  I live over a hundred miles from the closest dealer therefore I do most of my purchasing online.  I have been unsuccessful trying to locate a site that provides parts such as the stabilizer.  I have tried searching under Winnebago and Workhorse.  It may be that such parts are only available thru a dealer.

I will appreciate any input anyone might have as to a location that sells chassis parts, specifically stabilizer bars.

Clay L

Workhorse said the kit had to be bought from a Workhorse repair center. Most/many are in conjunction with an RV dealer. You might be able to call them, buy it and have it drop shipped to your location. Failing that they should be able to ship it to you themselves.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClintonFamily
Top Bottom