Winnebago Announces a New E-motorhome in Tampa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kirk

Winnebago Concept Van Conversion
Winnebago_Industries_e-RV_NoTalent-thumb.jpg
Winnebago_Industries_e-RV_Rolling_2-thumb.jpg

It comes on a Ford Transit van that is powered by Lightning e-motors.

EV "concepts" are endless. Most never happen. I only care when they are available. "Concept" only means they are thinking about it, if they get enough interest.

The Vaporware in the EV world is endless. I ignore it all.

-Don- DeRidder, LA

Only gets 125 miles per charge and no back up fuel system. Anyone interested in that?
I doubt it. But it is a prototype concept vehicle. I suspect any vehicle brought to market will be double that range.

I found the article interesting. Thanks to OP for posting.

There’s no question that electric vehicles are the future. However, battery technology - even the newest Lithium Ion batteries - are not up to the task yet. They are also not “zero emission” vehicles. They just move the pollution from the tailpipe to the smokestack.

The other problem that must be solved is generating capacity. California can’t keep the lights on now. What happens when tens of thousands of electric vehicles get put on charge every day?

In a sense these ”concept vehicles” have the cart before the horse. As a nation we need to build new generating capacity before we encourage everyone to go out and buy an electric vehicle. We also need to be honest about the pollution issue. It does not go away with electric vehicles.

Only gets 125 miles per charge and no back up fuel system.
One concept that really came was the HD Liverwire. The concept had only a 7KWH battery. When it hit the market, it had a 15.5 KWH battery. More than double the range.

Do NOT look at concepts for specs. They will probably change them all by the time we can buy. If we can ever buy it!

-Don- DeRidder, LA

Last edited:
I found the article interesting.
They have to be interesting to get people interested in the concept to see if they can really do it. But I refuse to even look at concepts as I don't care about what will NEVER exist. Even if they get enough interest and pre-orders, it will not have the same specs by the time it can be purchased. But most likely, the specs will be better by then anyway.

But either way, why waste my time with concepts? They are endless with EVs. The only vaporware that is worse is EV battery technology.

-Don- DeRidder, LA

California can’t keep the lights on now. What happens when tens of thousands of electric vehicles get put on charge every day?
You have been BSed! CA has more than enough energy right now for 100% EVs. That is if everybody charges well away from peak times, as most do anyway. My Tesla starts to charge at 0030 hrs, perhaps once every couple of weeks or so. Most people only drive around 30 miles per day, me much less, most of the time (perhaps even on these RV trips as I often stop for a week or two). So every ten days or so most will need a midnight charge while sleeping.

That is a problem in the summer with A/C units even with NO EVs. But most charge when other usage is very low and then there is no issue.

See here.

"As California Moves Towards EVs, Can the Grid Keep Up?

The short answer is yes."

-Don- DeRidder

The other problem that must be solved is generating capacity. California can’t keep the lights on now. What happens when tens of thousands of electric vehicles get put on charge every day?

In a sense these ”concept vehicles” have the cart before the horse. As a nation we need to build new generating capacity before we encourage everyone to go out and buy an electric vehicle. We also need to be honest about the pollution issue. It does not go away with electric vehicles.

While that was all fact, they left some info. out. Such as how long it will take to charge with 120 VAC. That will be around 1.5KW at best from the vehicle charger by the time it is converted to the DC charging voltage.

To charge a 70KWH battery as in my Tesla. Ignoring all heat and other losses:

70KWH divided by 1.5 KW charging=47.33 hours to charge from empty to full. Do you have more than two days to wait?

However, at 240 VAC that will usually be near 12 KW charging. 70KWH divided by 12KW=5.8 hours. Not bad as we can do that when asleep.

The nice thing about EV chargers is they can all do any AC voltage from 90 VAC to around 250 VAC on the input. They work with what you can find--in any country. That includes my electric motorcycle which I am charging right now with 120 VAC (I am in no hurry). It has a 7 KWH battery and I started the charge at 65% SOC. It's probably done by now. In fact, let me check . . . Yep, I have been fully charged, and more (battery done with the cell balancing also). 100% SOC.

Time to unplug it. And I am going for a ride around town now again to see the rest of DeRidder

-Don- DeRidder, LA

Back
Top Bottom