Winnebago Journey - should I use a water pressure regulator?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RVdan63

I have the 2005 Journey 36g. Does anyone know if I need a water pressure reducer to put in-line when hooking up to city water?

the owners operating manual doesn’t say either way.

Yes, always use a pressure reducer or regulator when in sore water. Many places you may not really "need" it, but you never know. I have been in parks that were very proud of their 120psi water pressure!

Older RV's of my era have a plumbing system designed for 65 psi max. Newer RV's I understand have plumbing rated for higher pressure.
One may see park water pressure of less than 50 psi during the day, during the night it may peak close to 100 psi. I always use a quality regulator JIC.

I saw a guy testing the fire hydrants in a CG one time and I asked him what pressures he was seeing and he said 125 PSI at times. Thattwhy you need a regulator.

When we go west we always stay at Hacienda RV Resort in Las Cruces (New Mexico), very nice park BTW. Their water pressure is (or was - we haven't been there in a couple of years) around 100 psi, their check in desk even has a notice to that effect.

One time there was a coach across the way from us that blew his water hose at the coach water inlet, what a spectacle :oops:. The hose was flying all around shooting 100 psi water all over the area, as a special bonus the people weren't there.

For any of the newbie RVers - always, always, always turn off the water when you are away, 12V pump -or- city water. We started that practice when we lived aboard our sailboat, however the consequences of a broken pipe or whatever on a boat could literally sink it.

This is one of those "cheap insurance" things. You will probably never encounter water pressure high enough to maybe cause a problem, say 75 psi or more, but if you visit unfamiliar places it can happen. In fact, more often than not, low pressure will be the problem. Always using a regulator avoids that worry.

Don't get one of the cheap ones that limit water flow volume as well as pressure. You want at least 3 gal/minute (gpm) and preferable 4-5 gpm.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KWKnut
Back
Top Bottom