Winning Photo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ron

Moderator Emeritus
Ron M.

Sam & I congratulate you on getting FIRST prize at the Heard Nature Museum Photographers Club.  That is really an accomplishment.  Good work Ron.  We hope you will upload the winning photo here so all can enjoy.  Once again Congratulations.

One question Ron was the winning photo taken near Moab?  If not where?

O.K. Ron:

I have attached the winning photo and included the other 3 that were in the top 15.

Enjoy

Attachments

• Mountain Scenes 047 copy (Small).jpg
    Mountain Scenes 047 copy (Small).jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 117
  • Flower Studies 031 (Small).jpg
    Flower Studies 031 (Small).jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 98
  • Arches National Park 9-05 281 (Small).jpg
    Arches National Park 9-05 281 (Small).jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 95
  • White Sands 8x11 (Small).jpg
    White Sands 8x11 (Small).jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 97
Ron from Big D said:
I posted the photos, but changed the subject name. It did not highlight on the TODAY postings.

Ron, all that does is change the subject of the message, not the entire topic. So the topic would still show with the original subject line. I went ahead and split the relevant messages out into a new topic, so this should now show in the New messages list.

BTW congratulations on the win. Great photos.

Ron from Big D said:
I appreciate the kudos.? I'm learning pretty quick.

Ron _ These are great photos and having just got my new camera a few months ago I'm trying to learn the basics, so I wonder if you would mind expanding on a couple of questions I have on the photos. I went into MetaData and noted it says they were created by Photoshop 7.0. Does this mean what it says i.e. that you took RAW data or some other type and workflowed them in Photoshop 7 ? If so, is it the norm in digital photography photo contests for the photos to be workflowed in any way the submiter wants ? Also, I was looking at the f-stops et al and I wondered if you used the auto settings or did these manually. Thanks

Leo

First of all:  These particular photos were all shot as large jpeg photos as I was having problems with my RAW converter at the time.  I have since started using a different RAW converter.  All the photos were tweaked a little in PhotoShop 7.  Often this includes brightness and contrast, color saturation and sharpening.  There are times when more is involved.  On this competition, there was no restriction related to tweaking the photos.  If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say most of the digital imagery that you see today, is adjusted some.  It's really stupid not to take advantage of the technology available.  We are looking for the best image that we can achieve.  I purposely under-expose some shots so that I can get the brightness and contrast just as I like it.  An over exposed shot is difficult if not mostly impossible to correct since much data is lost in the shot.  It's always better to get it right the first time, but it is the end result that is most important.  Keep in mind, that for years, the use of filters was doing the same thing with film.  On top of that, you selected a particular film, such as daylight, Kodachrome for warm tones and Ektachrome for a bluer effect.  In the darkroom, the photos were dodged and burned, cropped, double exposed, blurred, etc..  We just do it with a computer now.  Oh yes, on the subject of f-stops, etc..  I shoot most of my images with manual settings for landscapes.  I shoot automatic for snap shots and action shots.  Sometimes, when I want a specific depth of field, I will take the route of setting the aperture and let the camera auto the shutter speed.

Ron, you had earlier kindly sent me the winning pic by private e-mail and I responded then with my congratulations and expressions of admiration.  But I can't miss this opportunity to add my congratulations and admiration of your work in this public setting.

Ciao,

Doug

Thanks very much for the info. Very helpful. I think my lack of depth in film photography exxperience is a real problem that I need to overcome to be able to get best of my camera.

Leo

Ron,

Again, Congratulations on winning the contest! I would also love to see more of your photo escapes. I love the one with the blue bonnets and the driftwood.

Ron great photos and congratulations on winning the contest. 

That's very kind Doug.  I am equally in awe of your work and wish you would post some from time to time.  I think you will find you would have many admirer's.

Sure wish you were able to make it QZ this year.

blueblood said:
Thanks very much for the info. Very helpful. I think my lack of depth in film photography exxperience is a real problem that I need to overcome to be able to get best of my camera.

Leo

Are you shooting with film or with digital?  Getting the most from your camera is more dependent on using it a lot and perhaps shooting along side a more experienced photographer.  You might try attending some workshops.  You always learn something you didn't know or fully understand.

O.K. Jim:

Here is one that I don't think you have seen.  It is from the Bright Angel Trail in the Grand Canyon.

Attachments

• Bright Angel Trail - Grand Canyon 3.5x4 (Small).jpg
    Bright Angel Trail - Grand Canyon 3.5x4 (Small).jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 53
Ron,

Beautiful shots!

When I was still shooting C41 film, I always overexposed to maintain the shadow detail and give more color saturation. Like you said, if the detail isn't there to begin with, there's nothing you can do in the darkroom or in the software to create it. I don't think manipulation is cheating; photography is an art form and not a science, and you should be able to use whatever tools are at your disposal.

Congratulations!

Ron from Big D said:
Are you shooting with film or with digital?? ?Getting the most from your camera is more dependent on using it a lot and perhaps shooting along side a more experienced photographer.? You might try attending some workshops.? You always learn something you didn't know or fully understand.

Ron - I'm moving up to a Panasonic FZ20 from some lesser point and shoot digital. I have joined a special interest group (SIG) on digital photography that exists here in Sun City Hilton Head and just completed an on-line course in Photo Elelments for Digital Photographers. Its interesting though how these things skip a basic step and then a word or two makes it clear. You said RAW "converter" and my antenna went up. The way the Adobe on-line class presents RAW is that its there and here is how you use it in three lessons. I had all ready figured out that it wasn't quite that simple and required an Adobe plug-in but didn't realize that there was a whole world of other options. Using your word converter I did a google serach and got great introduction into the converters available.Similarly, Adobe talks about all the great award winning shots but never said if  there was any ethical issues with doing so. Your analogy of films and filters helped on that issue. Again thanks very much. 

Back
Top Bottom