Winterized Two RVs Yesterday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Memtb

Well, it’s that time of year where we will winterize/de-winterize our campers several times over the next several months. With our temperatures soon to be getting well bellow freezing, it’s that season where, every time we want to go out, we must de-winterize, use the unit for a few days to a few weeks, then come back home and winterize......we don’t dry-camp! Repeat as necessary over the next 7 months! It is a PITB......but this is the best camping season! memtb

we don’t dry-camp! Repeat as necessary over the next 7 months! It is a PITB..
Ever consider taking a long trip south for the winter? Or leaving the RV a thousand miles away in a storage place where it's warmer?

I do most of my RVing in December, so I don't winterize them. But I can park them in Auburn, CA for the winter where it rarely gets below freezing for more than a few hours at any time.

One time I was there when it got abnormally extra cold, so I tuned on the RV furnace until the deep freeze was over.

-Don- Reno, NV

Don, No, I’m a control freak.....I want/need my RV’s close to me! 😁 And, I may go south to visit family.....but anywhere there is more than a few thousand people.....is a few thousand more than I can tolerate for any period of time! When I go to our closest town, less than 4K people.....I can’t get away fast enough! 😉 I may “wimper” about the additional work (minor), but, I wouldn’t trade my place for a hundred acres of “prime” real estate in NYC or Hollywood.....if I had to live there! 🙂 memtb

When I go to our closest town, less than 4K people.....I can’t get away fast enough!
Sounds like you found the perfect place for yourself there in North-Central Wyoming with the grizzly bears instead of people! I am not quite that intolerant. But at least Auburn has more trees & deer than people. And I will be riding to there in a few minutes, 99.0 miles from here door to door. I have to dodge deer and wild turkeys when I get close to Auburn, especially if I get there too late.

But you have to stay winterized for how long? About half the year? Too cold for me there for too long.

Very nice day here, todays high will be 83F. 91F in Auburn, CA today. Sunny and clear and no smoke for a change! AQI is 19 here in Reno today.

-Don- Reno, NV

I wouldn’t trade my place for a hundred acres of “prime” real estate in NYC or Hollywood....
Years ago when we still lived in WY, I read a travel log in Reader's Digest magazine that was written by an easterner about the state of Wyoming. It was well written and surprisingly accurate, but the very best part was the stories of his interactions with the people who live there. He said that he was in a café in Lusk, WY one day visiting with local people when he struck up a conversation with a local rancher. The rancher asked him what it was like living in NYC and as part of his description of the big city, he said to the rancher, "We have buildings in NY city that are large enough to house every person living in the entire state of Wyoming." The rancher thought for just a moment, then replied, "You might be able to get us all into that building but you sure couldn't make us like it none!"

Don, probably don’t have to stay winterized that long.....but, it’s safer that way. About 7 or 8 years ago we left home in mid October.....it was unseasonably warm! We came back home less than 2 weeks later......-20F! Up here you quickly learn to expect......the unexpected! 😉

Kirk, our population is about 581 K..... about 500 K too many! Maybe a few hard winters will thin the herd a bit! 🤔 memtb

But are you sure you will not be in that herd? If not, you must really enjoy cold places.

-Don- Auburn, CA

We’ve been trying to acclimate for the upcoming hunting season.....we’ve been keeping the upstairs (bedroom is upstairs) windows open at night. We’ve had a few nights in the low 30’s......so yes, we like it cool! 😉 We generally keep the downstairs at around 65 throughout the winter and the upstairs around 57 to 59 F ! It makes spending time outside on a cool day, a bit easier! memtb

It makes spending time outside on a cool day, a bit easier!
I do the same thing here and in Reno for heat. In the summer, I keep my houses at around 80 with the celling fans on. Makes it much easier to go outside when it is 100F+.

I discovered this trick many years ago (around 50 years ago) on a summer motorcycle ride when I stayed in a motel in Yuma, AZ. It was after midnight and I was starving and there was a Jerry's Restaurant right across the street. I decide to go over there, but when I opened the motel room door, it was like a blast furnace. Too hot for me to walk outside! Then I realized in the motel room I had the A/C on too low and it was below 70F in there. I turned it off for a while and then it was easy to go outside.

It was one of those Yuma nights where the over-night LOW was above 100F.

We can get used to hot and cold quite quickly, which helps a lot--at least to some unknown limit!

Too bad our RV's cannot do the same with the cold. But the only winterizing I have done with my old RV for the last five years was to leave it here in Auburn for most of the winter. No problems so far.

-Don- Auburn, CA

We’ve been trying to acclimate for the upcoming hunting season.....we’ve been keeping the upstairs (bedroom is upstairs) windows open at night. We’ve had a few nights in the low 30’s......so yes, we like it cool! 😉 We generally keep the downstairs at around 65 throughout the winter and the upstairs around 57 to 59 F ! It makes spending time outside on a cool day, a bit easier! memtb
We lived in Wyoming for 30 years, and then moved farther North.... we also like cool temps and luckily have found the "off season" camping in places that are too cool for others! Our goal is not to winterize our RV... we do as your friend suggested, we drive south... enjoy and then leave till after holidays... one winter of driving rv on ice, taught us.. no.more...

Back
Top Bottom