Winterizing a 2000 TIOGA for the first time!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mdfuller

I see the water heater bypass lever (labeled very good).? I also see a drain for hot and cold water.? There is a T on the inlet side of the water pump.? I am assuming I drain the water from the valve on the outside of the RV where the water heater is and drain the hot/cold water drain?? I am also assuming the T before the pump is to hook up a tube to suck the antifreeze into the system?? I have printed the doc in the library, but I am just a little worried as this is my first time :)

Any other pointers before I give it a shot?? THANKS!

Attachments

• IMG_0802.JPG
    IMG_0802.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 14
Well I ran into some issues.  I tried to winterize last night, but for the life of me I could not get the water heater drain plug out. I did some research and found out since it is a Suburban there is an anode rod in the thing and I am not the only one having issues getting it out. My problem is there is piping in front of the darn plug. Do I need to remove that as well? I cannot even get a socket on it. Here is a pic:

Attachments

• RV-water-heater.jpg
    RV-water-heater.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 17
Typical installation.  You may need a crows foot wrench to get the plug out.  Before removing it, I would have a spare on hand as they tend to break off if they haven't been removed in a while.  The nylon plugs are the worst.

So get a 1 1/16" crows foot?? You may have guessed it - I am a total moron when it comes to tools.

I was just going to get a 3/4" plug for the winter and put a new anode rod in there in the spring.  Is that a good/bad idea?

If that's the size of the plug.  I don't recall what mine is, I use a crescent wrench on it :)

Does the hot low point drain let the water out of the water heater as well?

Probably not, that drain is for the lines.  You'll need to remove the plug to completely drain the HWH.  It has to come out to check and/or replace the anode rod anyway.

Back
Top Bottom