Winterizing question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zach

Okay, so I'm going to winterize the RV this weekend and just am looking for some advice. So my tanks are pretty empty so I was planning on pouring the pink anti-freeze into my freshwater tank, and turning the faucets on until the AF comes out. The drainage will put AF into my grey water tanks...and I should be done right? So do I just pour some down into the toilet for the black water?
And, do I need to do something to the hot water pump...I don't even know where that is!!
thanks for being patient with all my questions,
Zach

when I winterized I did not put in the Pink stuff it will leave a bad taste in you water system for a wile, I used air to blow the water system out. And yes put the pink stuff in the gray and black holding tank this will help protect the tanks from freezing. You can't get all the water out of the tanks and it will keep the smell down. Your water pump may be in the pump out station behind a panel that is where mine is.

If you do use air make shore all the valves are open and check all of them when you are airing up the system. and becareful not to use to much air you don't want to blow up lines in the system. that's why you have to open all valves. hope this helps. the only valve that you will close is the water tank drain this will let the air in the coach and force the water out.

Brian

don't know about your fresh water tank, but mine holds somewhere around 3 or 4 gallons un-useable.  That means unless you can somehow get all the water out first, you will be diluting the antifreeze unacceptably to start with.  My owners manual suggests your procedure, but that would probably require 6 gallons to start with a 50% solution.  I use a plastic hose connected to a vacuum to get all the water out of the fresh water tank by removing the drain cock.  Then I disconnect the pump hose hose from the tank and directly put it into the antifreeze bottle.  Then it takes about 3 gallons to get water through all faucets and the toilet.  To be on the safe side, first, I use the hot water bypass on the hot water tank, and drain the tank, then I blow out the lines with air through the pressure water inlet with an adaptor fitting.  I wouldn't consider that alone sufficient, since the water remaining will drain to the lowest points and will still freeze.  I live in MA, so I have to be extra careful.
Art

Thanks for the tips. I live in Mass too and think there's a real cold snap coming next week, so have to get this done asap. This should be exciting...sure I'll forget something.
Thanks,
Zach

Check the Library section of this site, look under Maintanence and you'll find winterizing.  It's a great check list to follow.  Although I agree with King about putting antifreeze in you fresh water tank.  I put a bypass hose to the pump  and suck it out of the bottle, takes about 3 to 4 gallons with my BRT.

Printed out the checklist and it's even simple enough for me to follow!!

To get to my fresh water tank it looks like there are two methods, one is the fitting that takes a hose directly, and then there is another opening that looks like you'd pour water or in this case anti-freeze directly into...does that sound right?

Thanks,
Zach

Zach,
Just to clarify things: There is no separate pump for the hot water; it uses the cold water pump. If you don't know where that is, disconnect the city water, turn the pump switch on, open a faucet, and track down the sound. It's usually in one of the outside bays but not always.

Zach,

If you have access to your water pump there's no need to put antifreeze in your tank. Remove the hose on the input side and attach a hose with no fitting on the other end. Put that into your bottle of antifreeze, turn on your pump and run until solid pink is coming from each faucet. Should take around two gallons but it might be a little more. Be sure the water tank is drained. It'll take forever to get the antifreeze out of your fresh water tank since it won't drain completely.

Obviously other things need to be done as well such as draining the lines as much as possible, draining the hot water heater and by passing, and draining all holding tanks.

Okay so I have begun my winterizing process, it's not going super-smooth, but I kind of expected that. I made a big mistake.

First, I emptied the hot water tank...when they say that's under pressure, they're not kidding!! I then began pumping my antifreeze in...forgetting that the now empty hot water tank will fill itself first because I did not install a bypass valve!!

So should I just continue to pump and fill the ho****er tank with antifreeze? Or get myself a bypass valve?
Thanks,
Zach

You should open a hot water faucet to relieve the pressure before draining the hot water tank.

I would put a bypass kit on the hot water tank.  It makes not just winterizing but the normal periodic draining much easier.

Ned,
Can you recommend a bypass kit to buy?
Thanks,
Zach

I think they're all pretty much the same and not specific to a brand or model water heater, but check the manufacturers web site to be sure.  I would just shop price.

Here's one from Camco that's inexpensive.

Hi Guys,
Thanks for all the help, Ned, that one looks good I'll order it. Just because it's supposed to get cold this week I opted to get more anti-freeze and run it through the whole system. It worked well and I think I'm all set, feeling a bit more comfortable in the water pump department. It was nice as I struggled with it knowing you guys were only a couple key strokes away.
Thanks again,
Zach

Back
Top Bottom