Winterizing with a heater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fizzban

If I leave a heater inside the RV with the cabinet doors open, will that solve any freezing problems if the temp is over 20 degrees?  What about holding tanks, and outside showers etc?  I have done this for a few nights now, and everything seems to be okay, but I am concerned I'm forgetting something that will freeze.

THANKS!

Jim Dick

Moderator Emeritus
Your outside shower will not be protected by a heater. The tanks should be drained. Also be mindful of any water lines that run outside or through storage bays. An internal heater won't be able to protect these, either. Usually you can go a couple of nights with freezing temps before anything happens to the coach but it will happen if you don't winterize.

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
You are in marginal territory at 20 degrees. If it stays that cold for very long, the things in/near the outer skin may indeed freeze. But if its 28 degrees for only a couple hours or less, you are probably OK.  We get the odd high 20's night here in north central FL and I do what you do and have no problems. However, i do place a 75-100 light bulb (lighted, of course) in the wet bay to keep the valves, pump, etc. there above freezing. Also insulate the fridge ice maker line on very cold nights.  It can also hep to heat the water in the water heater in the evening - it will stay warm thru the night and keep itself and nearby pipes from freezing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KittyDigitize
Top Bottom