Winterizing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Appleton

Hi there, I'm new to owning and? and have some questions about winterizing since I live in cold northwest PA and will be storing my 28' starcraft travel trailer outside. When I empty the holding tanks for the last time and I'm preparing to put antifreeze in them should I also add deodorant? Will this cause any kind of chemical reaction or produce fumes? I'm worried that without deodorant the RV may not smell so fresh in the spring. Thanks!

I don't know about holding tanks, but RV supply stores sell an antifreeze for your fresh water system. You could check the container to see if it says it's OK for holding tanks. As for deodorant, assuming the dump valves, faucets and toilet are all closed and assuming the p-trap has water in it, I wouldn't worry about any smell. Don't forget to put antifreeze down the sink so the water in the p-trap doesn't freeze.

Appleton said:
Hi there, I'm new to owning and  and have some questions about winterizing since I live in cold northwest PA and will be storing my 28' starcraft travel trailer outside. When I empty the holding tanks for the last time and I'm preparing to put antifreeze in them should I also add deodorant? Will this cause any kind of chemical reaction or produce fumes? I'm worried that without deodorant the RV may not smell so fresh in the spring. Thanks!

I'm sorry but the ONLY way to winterize is drive it south!!!! ;D

You do not need to add anything to your holding tanks. There is enough expansion room that any small amount of liquid that is left has plenty of room to expand. I doubt your tanks will be any worse smelling without deodorant assuming you have dumped them. Personally I find the deodorant as bad smelling as my tanks.;D  Be sure to put some antifreeze, pink kind, in the traps of your sinks and shower and don't forget to winterize the outside shower!

The same goes for your hot water heater. Once you have drained it you should not have to fill it with antifreeze if you have a bypass valve. Leave it bypassed until the spring so you can pump fresh water through the system before filling the heater. I recommend putting the drain plug back in place to keep any critters from crawling in and building a nest.

If you use the low point drains to drain your water system prior to winterizing you will use less antifreeze due to not mixing it with all that fresh water. You want to see a good pink color coming from all faucets, hot and cold, and in the toilet. Leave a little antifreeze in the toilet bowl to keep the seal moist.

If your rig has a refrigerator with an ice maker, the solenoid valve that allows the water to flow into the ice maker must be emptied.  Determine the voltage required to activate the solenoid...mine is 110 VAC...disconnect the outlet side of the valve and apply voltage. 

Also the filter of your water pump must be emptied, because the filter is plastic.  In fact, RV antifreeze (NEVER radiator antifreeze)  should be pumped through the pump.

One of the most vulnerable parts to freeze breakage is the valve of the toilet, which is also plastic.  Make sure it gets emptied as well as the spray hose of your toilet is so equipped.  Also empty the shower hose, if it's a telephone shower.

If you are concerned about odor in the holding tanks, run some bleach in them, fill the tank then dump prior to winterizing.  Add a small amount of antifreeze into the holding tanks to cover the dump valves to keep them from drying out.

Steve said:
Also empty the shower hose, if it's a telephone shower.

Steve, what's a telephone shower? Is that the kind that has a flexible hose going to the shower head?

That is what it is .. You hold the shower head like a telephone handset

I call it a handheld myself, never heard it called "Telephone" till I came here

John In Detroit said:
You hold the shower head like a telephone handset

You mean I hold it up to my ear? That would only wash my ear(s) out unless, of course, I turned it around and washed my mouth out. I'm with you - never heard it called a telephone shower before.

The best place to buy rv antifreeze is ACO, they have a mail-in rebate every year.  If you have a W/D or Dishwasher, they have to be winterrized also. We  usuallly disconnect our shower head. Press the peddle on the potty and put 4-5" of antifreeze in the bowl. Helps the seals. We put antifreeze in the holdong tanks, so the valves won't freeze. Take anything out of the rv that will freeze or be damaged by the cold. A couple of fabric sheets around the inside to keep out the cridders, keep things smelling fresh.

Barb
65 days to go

Barb

What exactly do you do to winterize a dishwasher and washer/dryer?

Tom...

Washer

1. spin cycle to remove any water
2. rinse cycle to draw in pink stuff
3. leave a little in the bottom of the machine...for evaporation, and just in case

I don't have a dishwasher (wish list), but i would think if would be the same or similar.

Ron.....no pink stuff for us this year...last day of work dec 2, leaving dec 3......on vacation until march 1........arriving back in MI middle of may.....probably see you on QS for potluck...and Moab on the 30th or 1st not sure.

Barb
65 days to go

Ron.....no pink stuff for us this year...last day of work dec 2, leaving dec 3......on vacation until march 1........arriving back in MI middle of may.....probably see you on QS for potluck...and Moab on the 30th or 1st not sure.

Sounds like you guys have a good plan.  Hope to see you at QZ  keep us updated on your travels.  Better make reservations with Annie at Moab too.

Thanks Barb. I've added your comments to the article in our library:

Click on the Library button above, select Maintenance items and click on Winterize your RV.

Barb said:
The're already made............And you made them........We're on the list...........I'll call today just to confirm

Barb
64 days to go

Yep you are right.  You are in site 30.  Sorrry must have been CRS struck again.

Here's an interesting sight for winterizing? http://www.rverscorner.com/winterize/winterizebook/index.htm
Rollie

That's neat. Thanks for posting the link Rollie.

Rollie:

Great info! If I ever end up where it is cold again I'll try to remember it! In all the years I winterized RV's (usually by blowing out with compressed air) I did not think of the city water fill.

That is great information for those that can't winterize the way we do.  Mabe we should put that link some place where others can find it in the future say next year at this time.

Ron,
  Your winterizing technique & timing is near perfect; those of us still in Montana woke up to snow this morning and temperatures expected to hit 22 by mid week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom