Wire Stripper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djw2112

I have two wire strippers.  A fancy hand held with all the normal sizes, crimps, and other features.  And a simple small hand with limited features.  I tend to use them both depending on which one is picked up first.  In the days before that (before I quit smoking) when the environment was not flammable, I always used my bic lighter, just enough to soften the coating and then a quick twist and off it came.  Some say this method can damange the wires but I never got it hot enough to do that. My rule was if it was hot enough to burn your finger, then it was too hot.  For really tiny wires you do not even need a stripper, your fingernail will do the trick.

Many years ago while watching an electrican work, he was stripping wires inside a harness, must have been 20+ wires in there.  He had this little finger held stripper that was really cool and was able to strip the casing off the wires, and then strip the wires in what seemed like nothing flat.  I was mesmerized watching him use this little tool.  It was about the same size as a staple puller and he held it with his thumb and first finger and zap zap zap done. 

I have never seen a tool like that again, even with doing a few google searchs have not found one either.  Maybe it is a professional only tool or company provided. 

Anyone here ever see one of these little tools or know what they are called or where to get one?

Any of these?

Attachments

• 61LSLKhL3iL._SX425_.jpg
    61LSLKhL3iL._SX425_.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 53
  • paladin-tools-wire-strippers-170x030_lg.jpg
    paladin-tools-wire-strippers-170x030_lg.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 35
  • Pro-sKit-CP-508-Multifunction-Wire-Stripper-Telephone-line-cable-stripping-pliers-UPT-STP-RG59...jpg
    Pro-sKit-CP-508-Multifunction-Wire-Stripper-Telephone-line-cable-stripping-pliers-UPT-STP-RG59...jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 33
For smaller wires, I prefer these guys. They have a dial on the nose to adjust wire diameter and the slide in the middle is a depth stopper. Unfortunately, they only go up to 18 AWG, so they wouldn't work for romex. They do have a version for wires from 26-36awg, but that is rarely used by anybody not in the trades. They are about palm length, though.

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/jonard-tools/ST-550/K276-ND/45507

Cerd, I covet those strippers.  Been meaning to order a set. 

When I was wiring houses with Romex, I used one of these simple things for years.  The little tooth inside cleanly cuts the jacket, and the keyholes are sized for 8, 10, 12 & 14 AWG conductors and work well.  Excellent tool for less than five bucks.
https://www.zoro.com/klein-tools-nm-cable-ripper-8-14-awg-74017/i/G3525308/feature-product?gclid=Cj0KCQiAhKviBRCNARIsAAGZ7CdX3lm-pXdv83_pfCIBSfdt651K9Sm0H_AUy-y6NPDd4blwGmigB8gaAuVVEALw_wcB

I use one of these at my workbench.  Works quickly and easily for stuff up to about 22 AWG.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-8-1-4-in-Self-Adjusting-Wire-Stripper-and-Cutter-for-10-20-AWG-12-22-AWG-and-12-2-14-2-Romex-Wire-11061/206318106

https://www.amazon.com/Stripper-Stranded-Klein-Tools-1003/dp/B000V6W5QU/ref=sr_1_84?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1548454394&sr=1-84&keywords=wire+strippers

This is the model I wired a thousand houses with. Except I removed the gauge guide screw and the thumb protector to make it lighter and easier to use. I would never recommend it to anyone else but I was a master at using it. Never nicked a wire. In fact just the other day I had to cut the power cord to my TV and install a sheath over it (wire was white and I wanted black). So I had to use my stripper to strip six 16 gauge stranded wires. Did it perfectly even though I have been retired for 30 years. Didn't nick any wires and that is not easy. But I stripped hundreds of wires a day for 20 years so I got good at it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom