Wireless Network Security

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Okotoks Camper

This is an offshoot from another thread I created recently and the topic led to (among other things) wireless security. I recently bought an HP ZD8225 laptop and a DataLink DI524 wireless router. New stuff to me, although I have a fair bit of experience in IT generally.

So far, I've been focussing on getting the wireless network set up and updated, with good security. Currently I'm using 128 bit WEP (I haven't been able to get WPA working yet, although my DataLink DI524 router apparently supports WPA. It doesn't seem to like the key I provided.) I may have some specific questions on WPA next weekend when I take another stab at it.  I also set up MAC filters to only allow my laptop and desktop MAC addresses to be able to use the network.

Am I missing any good tricks to improve security?

Thanks,
John B.

I just saw the WiFi thread in this group. Sorry I missed it before. I suppose that it doesn't hurt to have another thread specifically about security, but I didn't mean to create another one unnecessarily. I'll monitor both to see what develops.

John B.

Well, I spent a fair bit of time on the laptop over the past two weekends and I made progress!!

I now have WPA2-Auto set up (with PSK) and I also created MAC filters to only allow my two computers to access the network. I reviewed everything with one of our Telecom guys at work and he only suggested one more security feature, i.e. turn off broadcasting my SSID name (which, by the way, I changed from default) and I should be good to go. No, I'm not getting cocky and thinking I've got this security thing beat, but I am feeling a lot better that I was.;D

Now I need to get the darned Media Center working. I guess that's for Christmas week.

John B.

Turning off the SSID broadcast won't really hide your access point from someone looking for APs, and may cause some connectivity problems with Windows clients.

I was speaking about my experiences with trying to connect windows computer to access points that wern't broadcasting the SSID.  Even if you manually enter the SSID, Windows often can't find the AP.  I'll look for some other references for you when I get some time.  We just moved today and tomorrow is quite busy.

I have not yet had a chance to listen to it but if you visit the following URL http://grc.com/securitynow.htm there is a link to various episodes of Security Now.... One of those (in fact more than one) has to do with wireless network security.. Alas, I've yet to listen to them  GRC.COM is Gibson Research Corp.  or, in other words Steve Gibson, one of the better known names in security

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom