Wireless router firmware replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Has anyone tried the wireless router firmware replacement from Sveasoft? One of the touted advantages is a significant power boost. Haven't yet tried it myself and thought someone else might already have.

Tom,

I haven't tried that one particularly, but there's a number of others available in freeware.  Essentially, theres an NVRAM setting for power.

Make certain, however, that the router stays cool as it's easy to burn it out!

Al

Thanks Al. I hadn't given any thought to the power dissipation issue.

Looking forward to seeing you and Judy Friday (&/or Saturday?) Enjoy turkey at your daughter's place.

I've been using the Thibor version of the HyperWrt firmware for several years with good results.  It also lets me double the power output of the Linksys WRT54G router/access point and has many other nice features as well.  For all the details on the 3rd party firmware for Linksys routers, see http://www.linksysinfo.org

Thanks Al & Gary. I'll check them out.

I don't even look like Gary, but you're welcome anyway :)

Oh rats, sorry Ned. That's what I get for timesharing. I had one eye reading something Gary had written and one eye reading your message. Well at least I got your attention  ;D

Awesome firmware upgrade for Linksys WRT54G & GS to boost the Xmit Power to 84 mw, far beyond the FCC requirements. The company is outside the US and not bound by such laws to increase the transmission signal. As far as heat dissipation, I have used it for 2 years and have not suffered any downtime due to modification to the firmware. I am still using the version "Satori-4.0" although the latest version "Tailsman/Basic v1.2.2" added additional router brand.
The following router models are supported:

Asus wl500g
Asus wl500gd
Asus wl550ge
Asus wl500gp Premium
Buffalotech WBR-G54
Buffalotech WBR2-G54S
Buffalotech WHR-G54
Buffalotech WHR-HP-G54
Buffalotech WZR-RS-G54
Buffalotech WZR-G300N "MIMO"
Linksys WRT54G V1 - V4
Linksys WRT54GS V1 - V4
Linksys WRT54 GL V1, V1.1
Linksys WRT300N V1 "MIMO"

In order to download the firmware upgrade, you join the forum group at $20.00/ year.

The main feature of the firmware is to take additional Linksys routers and convert it to a repeater/expander to increase the coverage. You can daisy chain wirelessly as many routers say about 300 feet apart (away from the main router) to extend coverage. This is excellent for 2 or 3 neighbors who decide to get a broadband service and split the monthly cost without suffering from low or weak signal due to distance. On the other hand, a standard WiFi Expander configure with a router (no firmware upgrade) has to be within range from the main router and the additional expanders can not be setup in series.

I believe the FCC limit for a WiFi radio is 300mw, but the typical consumer access point isn't capable of that much output.  Even the Linksys at maximum of 84mw is still far below the allowable legal maximum.  There are numerous firmware options available from the linksysinfo.org web site for free, no need to pay even $20 for one.

I used to use Sveasoft, but their repeated violation of the GPL License, and scare tactics used by the administrators drove me to dislike the company and discontinue use of their products.

I use DD-WRT in my routers.  It is free (as Sveasoft should be) and the forums offer lots of How-Tos, Advice, and troubleshooting support.

DD-WRT added a lot of great features such as power boost, NoCat Splash, and even a mod to use the front button on the WRT54G to turn off the wireless radio on the router.

Supported devices as of v23 SP2

* Linksys WRT54G 1.0 CDF0xxx or CDF1xxx
    * Linksys WRT54G 1.1 CDF2xxx or CDF3xxx
    * Linksys WRT54G 2.0 CDF5xxx
    * Linksys WRT54G 2.2 CDF7xxx
    * Linksys WRT54G 3.0 CDF8xxx
    * Linksys WRT54G 3.1 CDF9xxx
    * Linksys WRT54G 4.0 CDFAxxx
    * Linksys WRT54G 5.0 (JTAG no longer required, see official documentation)
    * Linksys WRT54G 6.0 (JTAG no longer required, see above)
    * Linksys WRT54GL 1.0 CL7Axxx
    * Linksys WRT54GL 1.1 CL7Bxxx
    * Linksys WRT54GS 1.0 CGN0xxx or CGN1xxx
    * Linksys WRT54GS 1.1 CGN2xxx
    * Linksys WRT54GS 2.0 CGN3xxx
    * Linksys WRT54GS 2.1 CGN4xxx
    * Linksys WRT54GS 3.0 CGN5xxx
    * Linksys WRT54GS 4.0 CGN6xxx
    * Linksys WRT54GS 5.0
    * Linksys WRTSL54GS
    * Linksys WRT300N v1 (v24 beta)
    * Linksys WAP 1.0
    * Linksys WAP 2.0
    * Linksys WAP 3.0
    * Allnet ALL0277
    * Buffalo WHR-G54S
    * Buffalo WHR-HP-G54
    * Buffalo WBR-G54
    * Buffalo WLA-G54
    * Buffalo WBR2-G54
    * Buffalo WBR2-G54S
    * Belkin F5D7130/7330 (2mb flash)
    * Belkin F5D7230-4 v1444 (2mb flash)
    * ASUS WL500G
    * ASUS WL500G-Deluxe
    * ASUS WL500G-Premium
    * Mitsubishi R100 Diamond Digital Wireless Gateway (v23 SP2. Rebadged ASUS WL500G)
    * Motorola WR850G
    * Motorola WR850GP
    * Siemens Gigaset SE505
    * Ravo W54-RT
    * Askey RT210W
    * Chipdrive Magicbox 1.1 (beta only right now)
    * Chipdrive Magicbox 1.2 (beta only right now)
    * Chipdrive Magicbox 2.0 (beta only right now)
    * Mikrotik Routerboard 532 (beta only right now)
    * Avila Gateworks Xscale (beta)
    * all x86 CPU systems, e.g., PC Engines Wrap, Soekris, Desktop PCs, Industrial Embedded Computers based on x86 CPU (beta)

Darn! I've got a WRT54G-V5 and can't do much to help it along. DD-WRT has an upgrade, but it's minimal. Going to try adding a Linx rf amp to an old WRK54 (Walmart OEM, single antenna) and see what that does. I don't really care about all the hacks for 'radio off' and stuff like that, but would just like to provide a good signal for friends. We'll see.

A power upgrade is definitely a cheap way of extending the range of your router - but only to a reasonable extent

Firmware upgrades allow certain routers to increase output to as much a 251mw - the full legal limit allowed by the FCC.  However, turning up the output to the full amount allowed by the hardware does not always provide the perfectly desired results.  Try turning up your car stereo as loud as you can.  Sure it is very loud and now everyone in the camp can hear it, but the quality is poor and you can no longer distinguish the lyrics.  The same happens with the router, you get a boost in power but also a drastic boost in noise.  Choosing a nice middle-of-the-road output power is ideal.

Second, turning up the output power will only increase the routers ability to send data away from the router, but will not increase its ability to receive data.  Your friend on the opposite side of the campsite may be able to see and recieve data from the router, but using only a cheap PCMCIA card they will not be able to broadcast data back to the router loud enough for the router to receive it - thus leaving them with a failed or unreliable connection.

The absolute best upgrade for your money, if you must spend money, is always the antenna.  Any Ham Radio operator will tell you such.  A quality high gain antenna will improve the routers ability to receive and send data, resulting in better quality connections overall.  Use an omnidirectional antenna in cases where mobile operators are spread out in all directions.  Use a unidirectional antenna to gain optimal signal strength and quality when the operator(s) is in one general direction.

Using a WRT54G loaded with DD-WRT pumping out 100mw into a high gain directional antenna, I am able to maintain a wireless connection for about 1/4 mile using a hawking HWU54D on my laptop.

I have Thibor installed on our router. At 50% (Original default) power output I have a strong signal here in the coach and if someone nearby wants to hook on I up it to 100%.

I guess that would work Karl.  I have no experience with WiFi amps and have forgotten the mathematical relationship between dBm and milliwatts.  Honestly, I prefer a simple and modest firmware power boost combined with a killer antenna.  Best money I ever spent.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom