Wireless Security to change to WPA begining at Moab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ron

Moderator Emeritus
During the QZ rally it was discovered that when some of the wireless internet providers had changed their security from WEP to WPA some folks could not get on.  I was going to make the change then but didn't for this reason.  I will however be changing over to WPA before the Moab Rally as well as changing the network name from Eagle to ???? haven't decided yet.  So anybody that has a B card may want to consider getting a newer G card.  I recommend only Linksys or Hawking. The type that plugs into the USB port which allows moving the adaptor around such as Linksys WUSB54G or a similar Hawking card is IMHO preferred.  The Hawking has more gain and should work best.

I will also have a new security code so check with us to get the access code at Moab.

Good idea to give folks a heads up so they have time to acquire a new wireless card Ron. Thanks.

Ned recommended that we buy the Hawking Hi Speed 54G directional that plugs into a USB port.  It also says HWU54D on the back.  Since Tom and I are usually on the internet at the same time, we bought two.  They work like a charm and cost about $50 or so.  If I remember correctly, we got one from overstock.com and the other from buy.com.

Margi

That was good Advice.  The Hawking wireless are excellent and is what I would buy if I were in the market for a new wireless card I would get the Hawking.  The Linksys has served me very well too.

Good hearing from you guys.

I think I was the only one who could not get the new security to work.. And in a manner of speaking you fixed that

BTW the Datastorm works great now that I'm away from that parking structure in Las Vegas

Though I did have a hard time getting a good peak this morning.... (hooked up to the WRONG receiver LNB, one of the Bird's instead of the data feed... OPPS)  Worked great once fixed

Page AZ  User number 3192 on the map

Ron said:
  I recommend only Linksys or Hawking. The type that plugs into the USB port which allows moving the adaptor around such as Linksys WUSB54G or a similar Hawking card is IMHO preferred. 

Thanks Ron, I just picked up a Linksys WUSB54G Ebay for 24 bucks. That is about the going price and others are available. The only Hawking had a broken antenna mount..

Bob

Ron said:
I recommend only Linksys or Hawking. The type that plugs into the USB port which allows moving the adaptor around such as Linksys WUSB54G or a similar Hawking card is IMHO preferred.  The Hawking has more gain and should work best.
I will also have a new security code so check with us to get the access code at Moab.

Just some feedback for the Linksys WUSB54G I recently picked up on EBAY. I  tested it at Pomona with all the many signals present. It was a huge disappointment.

I have a Orinoco with external antenna, but of course its only 802.11B.

Using Net Stumbler to see the signal profiles and strength, I could get many good signals with my Orinoco and external antenna and practically none the the Linksys. In fact the Linksys was about the same as my Orinco without external antenna connected. 

This Pomona test was a disappointment as when I got the Linksys I took it in the car with antenna sitting on dash and got a lot of signals driving down to our local coffee shop, which is truly free WiFi, and went right on Internet.

So, my recommendation for distance and usable signals, the Hawking is likely the better choice.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom