Wolf Creek and Monarch Pass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

top cat

Anyone know the grade on the east and west sides off wolf creek and monarch passes.
Thinking about going thru them later this month.

I don't remember the grade numbers, but we came down the east side of wolf creek with our fiver in  may we gross 18600 gcvw and didn't haver any
problems as all. There was road construction at the tunnel and we had to wait for about 20 minutes.

Dave

West side is a long, continuous climb with switchbacks. I think it's 6-8%.

East side is through canyons, about 6%, downhill for about 8 miles. Tunnel construction was done when we came thru a couple of weeks ago.

We prefer Wolf Creek to Monarch.

Years ago we went up Wolf Creek Pass in a VW Vanagon...made it over the top traveling at 5 mph.<G>? Several motor homes pulled over & detached their toads & drove them separately up.

A couple of years ago, we were passed in our Class C by a VW Vanagon....I asked Mike if he wanted me to get out and push and he said "It might help." :D Nothing more embarassing than being passed on a hill by a VW.

Thanks for info.
I have a 3/4 ton dodge diesel with banks package. 5th wheel about 10,500lb.  I havn't any problems with other passes I've
been over but have heard wolf creek is a real pull. 
I'll post back if I go over.

top cat said:
have heard wolf creek is a real pull.?

Oh, it's a pull, all right. But we've done it in a VW Vanagon (slowest), a 35' 5th wheel, a 24-foot Class C, and a 29-foot Class A and they all made it, albeit some slower than others. Important thing is to make sure you have GOOD BRAKES for the trip down off the pass.

wendycoke said:
Important thing is to make sure you have GOOD BRAKES for the trip down off the pass.

I agree with Wendy.  We've done both passes several times with heavy 5th Wheels.  Descend in your lowest gear.

Jeannine

top cat said:
Anyone know the grade on the east and west sides off wolf creek and monarch passes.
Thinking about going thru them later this month.

Jeez, that rascal is an 11,600 foot pass according to Mountain Directory.  Glad I'm not trying it.  ::)

Carl Lundquist said:
Jeez, that rascal is an 11,600 foot pass according to Mountain Directory.? Glad I'm not trying it.? ?::)

Well, you have to remember that you're starting out at over 7000 feet so it's more like a 4600 foot pass....not much more than climbing up over the Grapevine.
[br]Date Posted: July 14, 2006, 08:33:03 AM
Carl Lundquist said:
Jeez, that rascal is an 11,600 foot pass according to Mountain Directory.? Glad I'm not trying it.? ?::)

Well, you have to remember that you're starting out at over 7000 feet so it's more like a 4600 foot pass....not much more than climbing up over the Grapevine.

wendycoke said:
[br]Date Posted: July 14, 2006, 08:33:03 AM

Hate differ Wendy, but no it ain't.  The Grapevine is at 4412 and starts at 1000 or so.  Your rig loses 3% of its power for every 1000 elevation.  On the Grapevine, that is a loss of 3% to 12% at the top.  With Monarch that is the loss of 21% at the bottom to 33% at the top.  That is serious wheezing.

Depends on what elevation your vehicle is tuned to. Our vehicles are adjusted to and are very happy at 7000 feet and climbing over Wolf Creek or Monarch is a 4600 foot climb. We've never started out at 1000 when zipping up over the Grapevine....usually start out closer to zero which makes the elevation change in the 4400 foot range....not a significant difference.

My lungs operate similarly.....anything below 4000 feet feels like there's too much oxygen with the air way too thick and heavy. All depends on what your used to and tuned for.

Smoky said:
Carl, "What is Mountain Directory"?

The Bible for truckers and RVers out here in the West.? ?Don't not leave the Great Plains without it.? ?Go see the website by clicking HERE

It is a source of idle amusement besides the obvious use of it.  Pick out things like Sonora or Monitor pass in California read'em and think to yourself, "Ohmygod, I don't ever want to go near that bad boy!"  And did you know that I-8 into San Diego of all places has some steep patches?

>>And did you know that I-8 into San Diego of all places has some steep patches?<<

It sure does!  Sure slowed us down last year but we knew they were there. 

I don't have my maps or Mountain Directory in the house but the road from CA79 over the hill and down to Borego Springs comes to mind as one to avoid too!!

You are thinking of either CA-78 which isn't all that bad, or S-22, Montezuma Grade which is a 9% bear -- especially downhill since the downhill lanes are on the outside of the turns. 

Carl:

Thanks so much for the information on the "Mountain Directory".  I was pleased to read on the web site that, "In Mountain Directory East, the introduction notes that elevation by itself does not indicate a grade's difficulty; the change in elevation, depicted in the book as percentages, is the critical factor."  thus making my point to those westerners who poo poo the nature of east coast mountains.  ;D

But I was unhappy that the sample depicted on the web site of Arizona, did not include route 89A in the area passing through Jerome and into Cottonwood.  Can you tell me what the Mountain Directory West says about that stretch of 89A?  (Not the second stretch that is up around Page and Kanab.)

If what you tell me accurately reflects what I experienced, then I will order that directory straightaway!

The run down on 89A between US89 and Cottonwood is too long to type here -- being that that I am lazy.  Suffice to say I have been over that miserable route and the write up is dead on accurate.

Well Carl, it is just that I am reluctant to fork out $17 unless I can compare their observations with my own observations.  Do you have a scanner?  Anyone else here have a copy of the West Mountain Directory who could give me a rundown on what they say?  If not, maybe the folks at the web site would give me the info so I can evaluate the product for myself.  Anyone who knows me knows I an a careful buyer.

I am surprised, because all the comments in their sample directory page were just a couple of sentences.  Potent with info but very concise.

Indeed Smoky, and the 89A write up is 1/3 of a page.  For $17 you ain't gonna be disappointed.  And I don't even have stock in the publisher.

Back
Top Bottom